1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for the right set of bobtail grips since I bought my Vbob from Wade, back around Thanksgiving. I've bookmarked Sarge's sight, Esmeralda, and a handful of smaller grip makers, but I swear, there is hardly ever any new stock anywhere! I've saved a couple of pictures of roughly what I'm looking for, but mostly it's a "I'll know it when I see it" thing. But it seems I'm seeing the same things over and over on every grip site. The grip maker on COTEP said to check back in April, and I'm not in a huge hurry but you'd think there would be some knock out grips for sale somewhere. I want something natural, and probably exhibition grade wood, and I don't mind paying what it costs. Am I missing a great place to shop around for them? Come spring are they going to start popping up again?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know I dont often offer them up on my site... because they tend to sit (bobtails in general). I make it more of an order item, which I'm open to taking anytime. Many of my clients... of those folks who shop my site... tend to want something unique to them, thus making a set to sit on the site rarely helps. Its usually a case of "I like those, but I want color/style/wood/fit x"...

That might explain it... hope that helps!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have anything exceptional at the moment, please PM me or post them here. Or if you know of a good grip maker, I'd love to give them my business.

·
Super Moderator
894 Posts
If you know what wood you want, just tell Ryan. He will show you some blanks and make a set for you.

·
Premium Member
26,214 Posts
Sarge makes a good product........he would get some business from me,
if he would offer checkering as a grip option.

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,922 Posts
BRR I think EdS can do what you want. Look at his site, Wickedgrips.com. (pssssst. He's a sponsor here and has a link at the top of the page). He has various exotic woods on his page that are equal to and/or better than what others offer.

He's a kickass guy too. When I finally decide to order a set he will be the first choice.

·
NRA member
2,590 Posts
Why not request Esmeralda or VZ to make a pair of one offs for you?

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
Why not support one of our sponsors? HINT HINT!

I'm sure EdS can hook you up, just go to wickedgrips.com!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We've been PMing since last night. I hope to get a set from EdS.

·
Super Moderator
894 Posts
I only mentioned Sarge because BRR brought up the COTEP grip maker. I know 2 years ago when I wanted some BuckEye Burl grips, Sarge sent me pics of about 6 sets of scales he had so I could choose the look I wanted. He also fits them perfectly to a DW VBOB . Just for the record, the grips are not quite standard on those BRR.
Also, I do agree that Eds can hook you up as well. the grips I have seen from his shop are beautiful !

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts

·
Super Moderator
894 Posts
It is the front to back that is different on the VBOB. At least compared to the CBOB anyway.

Ed, I was not trying I step on any toes here. BRR mentioned the other guy and I just gave the info I have. I think the grips you make are stunning and I am anxiously awaiting my set.

·
Registered
311 Posts
No worries... no problem here Wade, you're cool bud! hehe :grin:

We've done VBOB.. EB... CBOB... wilson's little bob.. and now the super carry. However, we dont use woods others do... and so it really depends on what the client wants.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah EdS, no point in PMing, just show any blanks, etc. here in the thread -you might sell some more that way! Love the fit there. I can't remember if you said you had a Vbob handy, so if not, I can send you some grips from it.
As grips that have knocked my socks off the most, this set of spalted maple are the only light colored wood grips I've really loved:

I bet those would look great on my black Vbob. The ironwood set on Wicked's site are also very nice. When I get my next 1911, a black commander (hopefully a GI NN, if I miss out on one, then a Baer or Valor), I either want the stock grips if the Baer, or GI Shredders if the other models. At most, I'd want a traditional double diamond checkered grip. But for some reason, I can't get settled with grips on this bobtail. It's just a plain black gun with no roll marks, so the grips are all there are to set it off, I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts