Isonite Finish

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Jim S., Dec 14, 2011.

1. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    I recently worked on two parkerized S.A. Mil-Specs and needed to get them refinished.
    As you all know there are many types of finishes available these days however I was interested in the Melonite type of finish because it is a metal treatment more than just a covering.
    I sent my guns to Matt at Coal Creek Armory for their Isonite finish. Google it for more details.
    I received my guns yesterday and I am very happy with the new finish.
    Completely flat black and looks great for a military styled 1911.
    It took slightly less than six weeks and the price was very good.
    There is very little fitting required because this finish is "in" the metal rather than on the metal.
    I sent my guns in pieces because that worked out for me and I already have them back together again and I am going shooting today.
    Overall I had a good experience with these people and I recommend this finish to anyone considering this process over a coating process.
    I haven't taken any pictures yet but I will eventually and then I will try to figure out how to post them.

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011

3. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm interesting in seeing it as well

4. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Looking forward to photos. The paint vs. treatment thing with gun finishes seems to be the discussion these days. I'm all for new versions of stuff. Variety's the spice of life. :thumb:

Andy

5. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    Actually the paint on finishes are the newer thing.
    The treatment finishes have been around for a while only under several different names.
    I sort of remember when Melonite first hit the gun scene a long time ago (so it seems).
    Same thing as Isonite.
    I like the idea of surface hardening on a carry gun such as Glock and several other manufacturers do these days.
    Even when the black wears through from whatever may cause it to happen the metal still resists corrosion.

6. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    This thread needs pics!!

7. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    My melonited CBOB was a daily carry for years and thousands of rounds and it looked almost new, love the melonite ! The black color is simply black oxide, it starts to look a bit like a pencil lead color with wear, but it can be re oxidated, ( ok, made that up ), to look good as new.
    Dave Erikson used very blue toned salts as a final finish on one or his melonited pistols after the metal had been nicely polished, looked close to a traditional bluing.....
    I'll be sending my Reid Valor to CCA in the new year.

8. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    Had a pistol done by them - they do a very good job and the finish is forever...

9. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    +eleventythousand!!!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted