It’s not a buyer’s market but...Hi-Power...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by JonFrank, Jul 6, 2020.

1. JonFrank

JonFrank Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I know now isn’t really the time to find deals on guns but...

I really want a Hi Power. I want a shooter. Something I can get sights installed on, a good safety if needed. Then shoot!

Can the surplus guns be good buys? Seems like they are going for $550 or so.

I have a Hi-Power and as much as I want to I think I should just keep this one unshot.
    Adjustments.jpg

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Where to look, what to look for, are surplus decent?

Thanks!

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  2. Heavyopp

Heavyopp Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Not a buyers market? Have you seen some of the deals on higher end stuff lately?

Post up a want to buy add, see what happens

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    Very true. Low end guns are sold out or at ridiculous prices. Higher end guns are still in the buyer's market.

Adam13, JonFrank, Greg M. and 2 others like this.
  4. JonFrank

Feb 17, 2015
    Correct. Average guns are selling for higher prices or unavailable. If you disagree please educate me on how I missed it.

DRD likes this.
  5. DRD

DRD Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 8, 2018
    Keep" unshot"? Why? Just curious. The guys above are right. It's a helluva buyers market for most top end pistols.

6. JonFrank

Feb 17, 2015
    What would make you think I’m attempting to purchase a top end pistol when I mentioned a surplus pistol?

Damn guys. Title was created to pique the viewer’s interest. Not debate the accuracy of the title. F...

Point is Hi Powers. Can the surplus guns be bought at $500-550, add sights and etc and still be a quality gun for the cost?

Unshot...I don’t know really. Made it damn near 40 years that way. Guess I’ll keep it the same.

7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    High powers are showing up regularly in auctions. However they are bringing premium prices given the end of production.

Cheap guns are still bringing cheap gun prices.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. Heavyopp

Heavyopp Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I don’t disagree — this is 1911 addicts — I don't come here to shop “average guns”

Average guns are on my local forum — those classifieds have been dead for months

ZoidMeister likes this.
  9. DRD

Mar 8, 2018
    Sorry, I missed your point. My answer is "maybe", but I personally have never seen a good steel semi-auto in this price range (today's dollars) that didn't require a lot to work to turn it into a really nice shooter. I'm sure others on this forum have??

No BHP expert.

JonFrank likes this.
  10. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Just curious where O. P. finds surplus B H P s . Then , gunsmiths don't work for free and sights cost money . Seems to me after all said and done , buying surplus BHP , if available for $550.00 , buying sights , trigger work etc. , OP would probably up around $850.00 - $900.00 . JMO

11. JonFrank

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks for the info. It seems you’re right too.

12. JonFrank

Feb 17, 2015
    Adjustments.jpg

And I had heard rumor that service and products required money be spent. As shameful as it is.

13. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Man those look "ROUGH"! I'd take more than the price of the gun to get in shape where I would even claim to own it. Just my opinion sir!

JonFrank and DRD like this.
  14. DRD

Mar 8, 2018
    One last opinion: Start with a $1K(+) BHP and I'm betting it'll end up less expensive by the time you're done. (than starting with a $500 clunker)

If it were me, I'd maybe spend the $500 on the nice one you already have and make it a really nice shooter. Unless the gun has some historical significance, I'd shoot it. Just my opinion. I have nothing against safe queens if that's your pleasure. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  15. JonFrank

Feb 17, 2015
    I’ve never had a safe queen. But they are now out of production.

Other thing they slows me down on this one is the nickel finish. It will likely limit me on sights I can use without a refinish and things of that nature. But I haven’t dug too much into it.

Thanks for your input.

DRD likes this.
  16. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    ZoidMeister and JonFrank like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted