It Is About Time to Get My .45ACP SA Revolver... Suggetions?

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Fred_G, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    @Colorado Sonny

So, been wanting a Ruger SA revolver in .45ACP and maybe .45 LC for a while. Going to keep it stock for a while, maybe some work in the future. Blackhawk, Vaquero? What barrel length would you get?

This is just a 'cause I want one' gun. I will shoot the heck out of it at the range, and might carry it every other blue moon, but just want. LGS has a Blackhawk .45acp/45LC model in stock for $699. But it has had a birthday in that gun shop, and has the plain plastic grips.

I don't mind saving up a bit to 'upgrade' if there is a model I don't know about. Ideas?

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  2. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    PM sent

Fred_G likes this.

3. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I've got a 3.75" . 45acp Vaquero, great little gun, especially if you like the birdshead grip. It's easy to carry, fun to shoot, and the recoil is surprisingly mild. I switched the birdshead grip frame for an aluminum plow handle and that was an improvement, lightened the gun up and feels much better in my hand.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    41 Charlie, LPRoad, Fred_G and 4 others like this.
  4. slingerbelt

slingerbelt Deer Magnet

Aug 13, 2018
    My favorite .45 D/A revolver is my 625 S&W Model of 1989 -- the modern version of my S&W Model 1917. Since you want a 4-inch barrel, the S&W Model 625-8 would be the gun for you. Yes, it uses moon clips, which I consider a positive feature. You can shoot without them; but, it requires hand extraction of the fired brass.

gps man and Scaramouche like this.
  5. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    43/4 to 51/2 Portable, shootable and well balanced

Fred_G and gps man like this.
  6. Mike0707

Mike0707 JMB fan

Apr 11, 2019
    I have the Blackhawk in 9mm/.38/.357 and I really enjoy it. Mine in the 4 5/8" barrel which I think is a great look. I'd get shorter if I could! The only thing I don't like is that the front sight in welded on, so I can't swap out for fiber optic.....

Fred_G and gps man like this.
  7. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I'm sure someone like Mark Hartshorne could remove that sight and put anything you want on the gun. He's a terrific revolversmith and has done a lot of work for me.
    https://pinnaclehighperformance.com/

Fred_G, gps man and Mike0707 like this.
  8. Mike0707

Mike0707 JMB fan

Apr 11, 2019
    Thanks, @WC145 - he looks like just the right guy!

gps man and WC145 like this.
  9. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Fred,
    Single Action Ruger Super Black Hawk which is a larger frame in convertible .45ACP/.45 Colt! several too choose from:
    https://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

These convertible models come out every year!

If I were to pick one it would be the Model 0472, special for RSR Group. Stainless, Lowered Bisley trigger, upright bisley grip, 5.5" barrel.

https://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/0472.html

They look like they are sold out, BUT check the UPC: 736676004720

Your best friend is the UPC code, and Gun.deals using the UPC code for search. https://gun.deals/

Scaramouche, Fred_G and gps man like this.
  10. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    I have a pair of the Tyler Gun Works .357/9mm which I really love. If I was going to do .45 Colt my dream would be a .45 Colt/ .454 Casul Freedom Arms! But that is beyond my budget right now!

Fred_G likes this.
  11. Acroyer

Acroyer Off my meds Supporting Addict

Dec 16, 2015
  12. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I thought about 9mm, but I think .45ACP is what I really want. I can live without the .45LC conversion, but would be cool to have. I doubt I would shoot it much at all in LC. Don't really need another caliber gun... I have shot .454, fun, but not something I would shoot. :)

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  13. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    Fred_G likes this.
  14. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    gps man and Colorado Sonny like this.
  15. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    The 45 Winchester Deluxe Octagon will be in soon along with it's little .357 Magnum brother by the end of the month.

Fred_G and Scaramouche like this.
  16. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Colorado Sonny, what do you think about the Ruger 0470 model?

17. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    https://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBisley/specSheets/0470.html

Seems real good to me! It should have good balance, easy reach on the trigger and hammer, good adjustable sights, built like a tank to take https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=8

This one will last a life time and you can get the action slicked up too about 3-4 lbs.

As a .45 colt alone that would be my choice.

The way things are going in this world, I always want a rifle to go along with a pistol and limit my ammo choices. .45 Colt can go from about 900 FPs to about 1300 FPS.

Right now if your budget can absolutely afford it pick up the Winchester Deluxe Ocatgon 24" Rifle UPC: 048702001888 https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/048702001888 I would buy this first before the pistol as these only come around about every seven years.

Yes I do have one of these waiting for me at Tyler Gun Works after color case hardening, I am just waiting for it's little brother .357 Winchester Deluxe Octagon to be finished up.

Buy the rifle first and you won't regret it.

A pistol and a rifle, one caliber!

gps man and Fred_G like this.
  18. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
  19. StrawHat

StrawHat Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I like ACP revolvers. I have shown some of my S&Ws previously but here is a Single Action revolver. I bought it in 77 or 78 chambered in 45 long Colt. Worked up two loads for it, one black powder, one Unique, both using a 260 grain SWC. Both were good loads. Used the black powder load on white tailed deer several years. Found anACP cylinder for it and fitted it to yhe revolver. Used whatever ACP loads I had on had for the Smith’s and the revolver showed it’s worth. Been so long since I have used the long Colt cylinder, I am not sure where it is. Liked it so much I got a 7 1/2” barreled ACP Single Action also!

6DF4B33D-CBEE-43F6-A55C-2FE6B638FB02.jpeg

E2BE723F-28E4-4B51-A41A-5A58A4EAD7FA.jpeg

The revolvers are imported Italian copies. Very good copies.

Kevin

zChambers and gps man like this.
  20. Icopy

Icopy Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Love the 45 acp in a revolver. My only one was a Colt 1917 Army made in 1918. For a gun that was nearly 100 years old at the time, it still shot great groups.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted