It is worth buying a Para Ordnance Black Ops Combat

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by 1911enthusist, Jul 20, 2019.

1. 1911enthusist

1911enthusist Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Hi,

I am able to buy a Para Ordnance Black Ops Combat for 850.00 that hasn't been shot, supposedly. I have been reading on the internet that they have problems and aren't in business anymore. Is this gun worth it? I am debating between this an a Volquartsen Scorpion 6" Battleworn. I am also concerned about getting parts if anything happens.

https://www.para-usa.com/firearms/tactical/black-ops-combat.html

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I'd say "Hard pass" but I will admit, I've had great luck with Para Ordinance.
    Mine were the "SSP" and "GI Expert".

Others have not had much luck with them, and I've been put off from getting anymore due to lack of support.
    Remington at one point claimed that it would honor warranty, and handle repairs on them, but I'm not so sure I want Remington fixing anything for me either in all honesty.

I might suggest you do some searching online, and form your opinion based on first hand experience with that model, but my opinion is take the safe bet, and keep looking for something you don't have to be unsure about.
    $850 can buy some excellent models of 1911's, that have the warranty, and great Customer Service.
    Just my thoughts, hope it helps!

1911 crazed and mikegalway like this.

3. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Buy a new or used Dan Wesson 1911 and forget you ever saw the Para. You will be glad!!!

BCD 45

Austin_TX, 1911 dawg, Dub and 3 others like this.
  4. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    NO

Dub likes this.
  5. 1911enthusist

1911enthusist Active Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Ok cool, yea that's what I thought going to get the Volquartsen and save up for an Alchemy Custom or NightHawk FireHawk. Thanks guys.

1911 crazed and Dwe like this.
  6. BBP

BBP Enabler

Feb 1, 2014
    I have a FireHawk in stock and offer long layaway terms

7. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    I had a Black Ops 14/45 for two years and didn't have any problems with it except for two things. The Trijicon front sight lost its tritium vial after 196 rounds of "break-in". Para took care of that at no cost to me. The only other problem I had was that it didn't like Tula steel-cased ammo at all. I sold that gun a year ago and let the buyer know that it didn't like steel-cased ammo. I've had no complaints from him. That said, I don't think that I'd recommend buying a Para now for reasons already stated by others here.

1911 crazed likes this.
  8. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    I wish I’d not read this...... :)

BBP likes this.
  9. newyork

newyork Well-Known Member

May 25, 2015
    Curious how long

BBP likes this.
  10. BBP

BBP Enabler

Feb 1, 2014
    120 days if needed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dub likes this.
  11. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jun 25, 2014
    The best advice I can give about para, is if you can get one from when they had their factory in Canada, go for it. I never had any issues with mine, and it shot great. It was extremely accurate.

Once they moved to North Carolina, the company seemed to have issues, and the weapons coming out were less than they were before. Thats my input. Take it for what it's worth.

12. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I wouldn’t touch a para personally

13. Romulus

Romulus Active Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Ok, took my brand new Para Black Ops Combat out & shot it for the first time

(1) It shoots about 3-4 inches low at 20 yards. It has the tall fixed sights on it & they are non adjustable. Both me & my buddy who is experienced in 1911's got exact same results. Great grouping but low. To hit the correct elevation I have to superelevate by half the front post height.

(2) The trigger is very rough. Squeezing the trigger it suddenly drops a bit, stops, suddenly drops again, stops, & then drops the hammer. It is one of the roughest triggers I've ever fired with. It is so rough that quick follow ups are impossible. My old but barely broken in .357 magnum Mk VII Desert Eagle has a much smoother trigger pull.

When I first got the pistol I felt the trigger pull was rough but wrote it off as being dry. Once I got it home I tore it down, thoroughly cleaned, & lubed it with Remoil. Still rough, very rough.

Something odd I noted when cleaning it was that the firing pin is magnetized. I could almost lift the solid steel spring guide off the table with the firing pin. Not a problem but I was wondering if the magnetized firing pin is by design.

I bought this pistol to replace my recently retired Colt 1911 built in 1918.

Other than shooting very low & having a very rough trigger pull the pistol is awesome.

14. nod

nod Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2015
    This my experience as well. I bought a new P45-14 Limited in 1999 and it shoots fine. It has a very good trigger in it. I recently gave it to my son. That being said, I wouldn't purchase another Para unless it was made in Canada.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted