It Really Wasn't the Bear's Fault": Grizzly Attack Survivor Reflects ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LYKUNO, Jan 22, 2019.

1. LYKUNO

LYKUNO Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    Published by National Geographic 9-21-15. One heck of a story ...

Mike Meints and UBOATDOC like this.
  2. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Nope. While I respect em, and appreciate em, 10mm. Or better yet .50 Beo.

Kip and UBOATDOC like this.

3. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    The reason I bought the .450 in anticipation of an elk hunt that fell through for a friend. Now it's for my bucket list trip to AK. ;)

Kip likes this.
  4. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Some things you might want to consider if you ever have the displeasure of running into a momma bear with her kids. If you are between them you will have a serious encounter.

Can you get your pistol/rifle/shotgun ready to fire in 2 seconds or less? Can you also fire accurately into that bear and stop him/her in those same 2 seconds? You can shoot a fatal shot into the bear but he/she will have plenty of time to tear you up before he/she croaks.
    That's about all the time you will have before Mr. or Mrs. Brown Bear is ripping you to pieces and throwing you around like a rag doll. For very short distances, like a bear attack, there is noting that matches what the 12 gauge pump shotgun can do. I alternate 00 buck and 1 ounce slugs. But the best defense is your brain. Be aware of your surroundings and make lots of noise so he/she can escape before you see each other. Sometimes you can do everything right but still end up seriously injured or killed.

gaijin, tac45, BenchMonkey and 2 others like this.
  5. danc1996

danc1996 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2016
    This is a 12ga slug... might be able to get at me for a little while but i have a feeling 2-3 of these will knock down almost anything in North America [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

john_anch_ak likes this.
  6. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    I'm sure the bear will be super impressed with my rendition of "Little Schoolgirl." :D

john_anch_ak and tac45 like this.
  7. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Important to use your head in Bear country , things happen very quickly especially in brush .
    My friend John is so correct, brain power and situational awareness
    Most importantly.
    My combo when in Bear country has saved my ass
    8D583679-98DD-4EF7-A5BD-F5AD9F6A7473.jpeg 134D6854-B5E6-49C3-AA28-C783B735E39A.jpeg

john_anch_ak and BenchMonkey like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted