It was a beautiful day....

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by DRYHUMOR, Oct 20, 2011.

1. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I woke up at 3:30am on Tuesday and started coffee. Then I checked the airport's weather site. Hmmm falling barometer all night, winds calm, mild temps. I knew a cold front was pushing through. Looked outside and could see fog across the moon. Checked the solunar tables with the second cup. 6am to 8am showed a major activity period, the day overall was rated average.

Stirred around and got it together. Thought I had everything- left the socks on the couch arm, oh well, isn't like I haven't hunted barefoot in boots before.....

Drove the ten minutes to my hay pasture, and got all my stuff together. Good foggy morning. Quiet. I had a scrape line along the fence line on the west edge. And, I had seen a couple of small trees with rubs also.

Walked across the field, had enough ambient that I was looking to see if any trails had crossed. Didn't see any. No movement, still and quiet. Boots leak just a tad on the outer seams... have to try harder to remember them socks.

Got up in my stand, the seat is 24 ft off the ground. It overlooks a creek bottom that a power line crosses. About 2 acres of bottom with big pines and oaks, some mixed hardwood. There is also a briar patch there, between the bottom and the field, it is about 1/2 of an acre. It has honeysuckle, blackberries, persimmons, some man stopper tangles, different browse, and poke berry plants. I have thrown a bit of fertilizer on it from time to time to "enhance" the patch.

The sun never really started to shine, it just got brighter. I could see the field behind me and the scrape line across the field. I was wondering if the bluebirds and chickadees would be along. I've had chickadees land on the rifle barrel while sitting there before. The bluebirds just fuss at me for being in their perch. Kept watching the bottom, they like to cross there. I'd check the field from time to time, and swivel around to see the big persimmon tree on the east side. There is fruit in the tree, but absolutely none on the ground under it. The only thing under is deer tracks.

About 7:20, I saw brown. Then I saw antler. Heart rate perked up, then I calmed. He was moving slowly through the honeysuckle eating the flower tops off. I raised the rifle and looked, then eased it down, and looked again. "Maybe I'll let him walk" I thought; "well... I did intend to put meat in the freezer this year". Then he disappeared. I figured he may have bedded down. "If he beds down, I'll let him be", I thought. Then I saw him clear the honeysuckle working slowly towards the edge, through the blackberry briars. As he neared the edge, he stood broadside at about 75 yds. I raised the .257 and centered for a heart shot, steady, steady, squeeeeeeze, BAM. Hit good, he lunged out into the field a few yards and expired.

It was quiet again, and foggy, and still.

[​IMG]

2. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    awesome DH. enjoy the meat.

3. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Took the shot at 7:30, by 10:30 the meat was in the freezer. I have room for one more... and a doe tag. Didn't get to hunt a lot last year, and when I did, I had so much pressure around me, it just wasn't worth it.

All I need is a couple of sweet onions to fry with them loin steaks.

4. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Nicely done sir. Is that a .257 Roberts?

5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Congrats sir. I love deer hunting. I've killed 2 so far this year.

6. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Yes it is. I had been looking for one of the M700 Limiteds for awhile, and found one NIB on GB for a heckava price. I shot some different ammo in it to see what I had. It shoots Hornady Light Magnum 117gr really well. I have a box and 1/2 left before I have to reload for it.

The bullet entered the deer, passed through the heart/chest, out the off side, went into the off side leg, breaking it; and ended up in the outer skin of that leg. The recovered weight was 46.2 gr.

First group a few years ago (all I had at the time was 66yds)

[​IMG]

7. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Very nice. That is a cool caliber.

8. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, at least having cold wet feet turned out to be worth it. It was always my luck to get caught in the rain, and not even see anything! Good shooting!

9. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Evidently I like it... I've got 3 of them. Or maybe I'm just :der: :lol:

10. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Good thing it hadn't actually turned cold, I would have been miserable. I keep meaning to build a box stand so I can stay out of the rain, just can't seem to find that bucket of motivation....

I used to be FAR more serious about hunting. I used to stalk in the rain, deer hunt dark to dark, spend dark to dark duck hunting, then I discovered I was, dare I say it, getting too old for all that hard hunting.

11. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    What a great lead up. What a great post! Drizzle hot bees wax in those boot seams. Congrats!

12. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Read that story last night and then signed up. That was a great read. Hopefully i will be telling about my deer here in a couple days. This is the best time of year!!!

13. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Good deal. We need to see some more deer stories.

The best thing about getting older, is when you quit hunting horns and start hunting deer, it becomes more enjoyable. I was grinning like a mule eating briars after that deer was down. (southern saying... :grin: )

14. GoetzTalon

Oct 21, 2011
    Oh yeah getting older!!! Started when i was seventeen with a bear grizzly recurve went through some compounds ending up with a mathews switchback a couple years ago. Now im on to crossbows. I aways said i would never own one but that was when i wasn't 48 with a messed up shoulder LOL!!! I also gun hunt with revolvers but haven't scored with those yet. Good luck on your next!! I am going to go in the morning. Headed off to work now and i hope they don't work us to late. Damm second shift.

15. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    I enjoyed the story and deer. Thanks for sharing it with us. Never hunted a day in my life but it is on my to do someday list.

16. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    I've let a lot of deer walk, without firing a shot. If you do get to go, it's not always about pulling the trigger. It's a good stress reliever, a good way to take stock and think about things as well. Hard to get quality "me" time for almost anyone nowadays.

I was hunting maybe 10 years ago, leaned up in the bottom of a tree, on the same hay pasture. It was getting to that good time of day, just as the sun was setting. I heard a bird land in the tree I was in, a big bird. After awhile I heard the bird lift off and land on the fence behind my right shoulder, about 20yds away. I slowly turned my head to look, and saw a horned owl sitting on the wire looking at me looking at him. The sun had him lit up in a golden glow, awesome. Memories like that are why I get out in the world and hunt, you see a lot of things most people never do.

17. thecableguy

Aug 16, 2011
    One of the things that has me really wanting to get out there is the spending time out in the woods. Being able to witness mother nature is something that appeals to me. I really need to get out there soon.

18. GoetzTalon

Oct 21, 2011
    Cable you will be amazed at what you see when you sit in the woods in full camo. Warblers will almost land right on you and i had to move to scare squirrels that i thought were going to jump in my lap and like dry humer said the owls are awesome. Oh yeah and the deer. When your in there element and they get about ten yards and closer from you and don't know your there will make your heart feel like it is going to come out of your chest.

19. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Y'all making me want to go sit in the woods now. It's like reading the outdoor edition of penthouse letters and watching the discovery channel.

I'm ready to paint up and splash on some deer piss and go shoot some dinner.

20. thecableguy

Aug 16, 2011
    I thought I was the only one getting that feeling. :rofl2:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted