Ithaca 1911A1 Early 1944

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by baudoinii, Jul 12, 2020.

1. baudoinii

baudoinii Member

Feb 29, 2020
    A friend of my bought this gun few days ago to the heir of a recently deceased French brigadier general. The weapon remained 40 years in a drawer and during the 40 preceding years, it did not have to leave much ...
    she also got a good deal financially ^^

Attached Files:

zChambers, xerts1191, Cop_Out and 2 others like this.
  2. baudoinii

baudoinii Member

Feb 29, 2020
    I thought I read that WW2 magazine* were monochrome. But those accompanying the weapon are obviously two-tone at a rate of 1/3 - 2/3 from the top to just below the notch.
    * edit... Sorry I'm French... Sometime I don't use the right word...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Cop_Out and Kip like this.

3. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Chargers? Those are magazines. My Colt is a 44.

4. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Very nice, sir. Thanks for sharing the pics!

5. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    While those magazines have a little color difference, they aren't the two tone like the WWI magazines, those have much more of a tone difference, plus they had lanyard loops built into the bottom. Overall a nice 1911a1.

6. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    The lanyard loop on the early magazines was dropped in 1916. 1916 production did not start until September of 1916, so the last Colts issued with lanyard loop magazines was 1915 production.

They were two tone, with the blued bottom and bright top, until the 1940/41 time period when the finish was full blue.

Refinished magazines are full Parkerized, but may show a darker color at the top from the original tempering process

7. mlin

mlin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Those look like parkerized magazines. The original new WWII pistol was issued with full blued magazines. But it is also possible that refinished magazines from earlier periods go reissued and circulated among troops.

Just realized that from OP's photos, the pistol was also refinished. Barrel is also refinished in parkerizing (original should be blued barrel).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted