1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
The current version, manufactured in Upper Sandusky Ohio are high quality and reliable.
I had a hand fit model, no experience with their Pro-fit pistols.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m thinking pretty hard about one. On their, website they claim the pro fit is just as good. Also thinking about maybe a Dan Wesson or Standard Manufacturing. Might save my money for a used Ed Brown or Les Baer. Who knows.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've never seen one in the wild but a member here had one for sale and he voucher for it and he was very particular about quality of fitment. I don't remember who though.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I've never seen one in the wild but a member here had one for sale and he voucher for it and he was very particular about quality of fitment. I don't remember who though.
I bought that one. Well built, tight, nice finish. But in researching it the main point I really liked was the frame and slide come from the same billet. Just a nice touch I thought.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought that one. Well built, tight, nice finish. But in researching it the main point I really liked was the frame and slide come from the same billet. Just a nice touch I thought.
And someday, maybe fellow addicts will see a photo of it with stag grips....

·
Registered
61 Posts
OP you really can’t go wrong with any of your choices. DW, LB, Ed, Ithaca… I own an example of all of them except for standard.
I they are all well made and should serve you well. I think the easiest way to help you chose is to buy them all! All joking aside I think it would help if you determine what it’s intended use is going to be, (carry piece, range toy…), then look for what features you desire, (sights, type of checkering…) then find the make that has the features you want.
Like I said they’re all really well put together 1911’s but if you really dig in they’re each really quite unique.
I will say the Ithaca is quite nice. Mine is an early version before they released the “pro” model and imo it’s lock up isn’t as tight as LB but tighter than my EB and DW. It’s finish isn’t as nice as EB but better than LB. Honestly it’s a nice piece to ‘add’ to a collection but if this is your first foray into semi customs I’d recommend something else. The Ithaca does some what lack in features and has some what polarizing features like FLGR, 22 LPI checkering, and divisive roll marks.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,052 Posts
How about one picture of said ithica?

·
Registered
598 Posts
This question pops up periodically on the forums and usually there are one or two who have or have handled one and the reviews are usually good; most the rest are either dimly aware that current Ithaca offers 1911s, or didn't know at all.

They just haven't caught on for whatever reason, even among us aficionados, and I can't help but think it's because Ithaca's prices are a might proud with little if any information given about materials, build approach, the 'smiths doing the "hand fitting", etc. to explain why as a relative unknown in the high-end production to semi-custom 1911 price-point they justify their cost.

I'd love for them to be top-notch and worth the price, but when the manufacturer offers little that I'm aware of to incentivize my trust or willingness to take a chance, why should I give them my money when their most direct competitors -- Dan Wesson and Les Baer -- have proven themselves?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have been to a lot of gun shops in Ohio, Florida, Colorado..and have never seen a Ithaca 1911. Would like to handle one. The prices I have seen online are up there with the higher end Dan Wessons and some Baers. I knew one guy who had a shotgun by them that he loved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts