I've had a trainee for the last month....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fatbaldguy, Sep 26, 2020.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    I put him out of the truck last week for repeated safety violations, after repeated warnings. Gotta go through the sh!t show of him being fired now. Didn't want to do it. He has the ability to be very good at this job. He just wants to do it his way, not the company way. We're pretty serious about safety.
    It is not a good feeling watching someone fire themselves, no matter what you do to try and intervene.

2. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    It's better to take care of it now before it's worse down the road. Tough decisions.

3. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    There are those that think they have been raised much smarter than me. Maybe so. Those I can not teach. When they lose their jobs they say it is my fault. If I only had someone to teach me in the beginning that would have been gift enough.

Blame is much easier than hard work for some.

4. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Unfortunately he will probably blame you for his inability to follow company policy. I'm sure you wouldn't have done this for no really good reason.

5. SVG

SVG Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    "You fired yourself kid, I just did the paperwork".

6. rockittsled

rockittsled Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2020
    AND, you left vacation early for him,right?

:bang: because of :asshat:

fatbaldguy likes this.
  7. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    Stupid was a very important word my father used on me in my youth. Unfortunately we may traumatize someone using this foul word and it is no longer allowed to be used.

8. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    I've been there too, but unfortunately some folks are so smart they leave you no choice. If they get hurt on the job, even though they didn't follow the rules, they will find a slimy lawyer and sue the company anyway.

9. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    I’m so glad to be retired, can’t imagine dealing with some of these dipwads now

10. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Shortly before I became part of my last 'downsizing', I had the pleasure of firing a millennial engineer I had hired just a few months prior. It was either that or let several of my other engineers go ahead and take care of him, but I told them he wasn't worth going to jail over.

The day of his firing, he told HR that the rest of my department was incompetent, not him. Whatever. I heard he didn't last three months at his next job either.

The workplace of today's world is not something I recognize...

11. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    You have no idea. Can’t tell them what to do. If you yell or even seem slightly angry they cry and tell. It makes it very difficult to get stuff done at times.

12. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    I think I have you all beat. My Sr. manager put a new hire on me, former instructor/expert of our profession in my hands to indoctrinate him and show him what is expected and the duties in our job. I also in formed him that schedules and compliance of government contracts and security requirements are paramount. But the overtime & travel (sometimes) 12 hr. days & 7 days a week can go on for weeks or sometimes a month or two. But the $$$$$ is very nice. Just look at the cars in the parking lot. The whole time he kept questioning me about overtime. Like he never heard of it before. He quit without notice the next day. A lot of people would literally kill for this job. Some people done want to work for there money.

13. Lineman1982

Dec 21, 2018

I pissed an apprentice off so bad that at the end of the day on a Friday he was asked what he had planed for the weekend and he said,

I’m gonna shoot Gary in the face!

I said daggum!

14. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    What kind of work do you do?

15. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Wife and I were just discussing this very subject last night on a long car ride! They don’t want to work overtime! Hell you can’t hardly get them to work the 40 to be an actual employee!

Trained many apprentices, very tough on them and got turned into HR quite often but fu€k it, we ain’t raisin no pu$$ies here and when you can die if you F up I don’t care if they whine!!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  16. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    I drive an automated trash truck. trash truck.jpg
    He liked backing with that arm and claw extended. Toward fixed objects. Releasing the parking brake, before being seated, not wearing a seat belt, speeding in residential neighborhoods. Ignoring school zones. Things like that.

17. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Trainees can certainly suck.
    I had two before the COVID bullshaft hit and the Company laid them off.

One was going to be great. The second was needing a bit, but he was coming around. Young kid, on the phone every second, didn’t listen when the boss came into the shop.

18. Lineman1982

Dec 21, 2018
    We blame the new soft generation for everything. They had parents and their parents had parents. I will make a worthless SOB miserable and hate coming to work until he quits.

I will say I have worked with a lot of young men that will suffer right along side me. I love that kind of mentality.
    When an apprentice exhibits the will, want and respect. I will do anything for them. Teach them everything I know. My guess is they had a good up bringing.

19. Lineman1982

Dec 21, 2018
    You are absolutely spot on. When an apprentice thinks he knows more than me or is smarter I squash them quick. That is how you get killed.

20. SVG

SVG Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I was the same way @Lineman1982. I had hundreds work for me during my career and the only thing I ever asked of all of them was give me what you've got. By that I mean bring the will, I'll show the way. It was my job to put people in positions to win.

Problems were dealt with accordingly.

I'm retired now and do not miss this type of thing. Especially the more "corporate" things become.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted