I've had a trainee for the last month....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fatbaldguy, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    @SVG, you said that perfectly.

isialk, HooDoo Man and SVG like this.
  2. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I didn't get to train many during my career. I was too busy learning from those before me. 30+ years in an ever changing field.
    I did, however, raise two sons in a manor that any of you above would have appreciated as an apprentice. Respectful, humble, eager to learn and never shied away from a hard days work. A job started was a job finished.

3. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    Well, I was voluntold to leave vacation early. AND, they paid me really well for it! Kinda, sorta, negotiated from a postion of need on their part.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  4. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Just so y’all know. I’m getting soft in the mid-section.

Colorado Sonny, xerts1191 and isialk like this.
  5. j quan

j quan Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    i worked in a union shop, as part of a labor agreement, we were sent people from the "hard core unemployed" program. people that had ten jobs in 3 years. they were all victims of this or that and all were as you guys described. when you can"t keep a job, its your own fault!

6. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I just got fired. Some fat bald guy told me. All I did was check my Facebook a few times. Man what a jerk. You try to keep up with social media and this is what you get. He wanted me to work like the whole time I was clocked in.

7. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    That is not always true, but it can be (your fault).

blamo and Lineman1982 like this.
  8. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    The corporate PC, Diversity, Inclusion and don't offend anyone at all cost will kill the work ethic in the county worst than it is now. I hate the HR pussys. They don't dare pull this crap off in other country's. That why they got the manufacturing base. If we had WWII over again we would be dead.

9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    You must have read my mind.....I couldn’t have said it any better

10. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    I’ve been retired almost two years now after 39 years at the friendly local nuke plant. The last year and a half I was assigned to “mentor” young new hired engineers. At first, they kinda pissed me off. As degreed engineers they were all technically adequate but hadn’t a clue on how to get things done. All I could think about was the crap I had to put up with and all the things they didn’t. Handle with care! But in fact the game had changed, and a lot. In truth, I had plenty of advantages back in the day. If I screwed something up, I got chewed out, and told to fix it. These kids, if they botched something up they were hit hard in the wallet. To the point where some would just avoid doing anything. So I pushed them to get out in the plant and see things and learn hands on. Watch others and learn from them. Take all the training you can. Make yourself as valuable as possible. Learn what the technical and procedural high ground is. Get to it and hold it. Don’t let managers push you off it. They’ll be the same ones to skewer you if something goes sideways. Some got it right away, some took a little longer, some never did. I actually got to the point where I enjoyed working with them by the time I left. I don’t miss the place, just the people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. HooDoo Man

Dec 26, 2017
    Well put. I feel the same on many of your points. And your right. There afraid to do anything because any little screw up management will make a big circus of it pointing fingers. And there the ones that don't do ****. Intimidated for nothing.

12. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Feel the same about leaving the Military.

13. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    One of my former supervisors and I were talking one day about the lack of commitment of some current employees. He made the comment “hell Jim, if you came back in my job, you’d fire all of them” I thought about that for all of a half second and said “yeah, your probably right”.

Can’t teach perseverance, character, ethics, and dedication. You either have it or you don’t. The pay is “enough”, that whatever they need they can make through overtime. Most overtime is the product of poor planning and execution, not true and urgent needs.

Sadly, a lot of people don’t understand that the more you know the further you’ll go. I read an outstanding phrase recently “The residue of experience is knowledge”. I’ve paid a lot of dues pursuing experience.

My thoughts on every worker are this: If you aren’t striving to master your job, and say without conceit “you’ll miss me when I’m gone”, and they know it. You’re doing it wrong.

Colorado Sonny, cgff, SVG and 2 others like this.
  14. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    He needed to be shown the door.

A lot of my job is mitigating risk and liability on the company as I commission equipment. There are a lot of variables to consider. A lot of notes to take.

15. SVG

SVG Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    LMAO!!

16. SVG

SVG Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Lots of wisdom on this board. Not only on firearms but life in general.

A fine group if I ever saw one.

17. Bender

Aug 15, 2011

Take a look into a mirror.....

Colorado Sonny, SVG and fatbaldguy like this.
  18. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    WAWAWA!!!!!! Y'all need to be in construction trying to train young guys to be a carpenter. Some aren't bad people but don't have the brain power. Some are drug addicts and they try to hide it. Some are just plain damn mean stupid rednecks that well.................... Lots say I'm not paid enough to that. Plus in this state good carpenters only make $16-$20 an hour. I have been through hundreds the last 40 years. Out of 50 ya might get 2-3 and glad to get that.

Colorado Sonny, Cop_Out and isialk like this.
  19. HooDoo Man

Dec 26, 2017
    *You stated in your state $16-20 an hr. In my state they don't speak English and aren't even suppose to be here and they treat them like royalty. Don't have a clue how much there making(under the table). I wouldn't by a dog house in this state nowadays. Unskilled jerks.

Colorado Sonny and River runner like this.
  20. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Hell, I would be happy if I found only 2 or 3 that would answer a help wanted ad.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted