I've had a trainee for the last month....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fatbaldguy, Sep 26, 2020.

1. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Yea but they will work all the hours ya want them to and it is up to the foreman to make sure they build it right. Plus gotta have bodies on the job to get work. Some of the best workers I have ever had were from south of the border but yea ya gotta watch them.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  2. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017

3. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Trainees/FNGs hmm? Boss (Fire Chief) one morning during daily checkout walked by as there was a loud discussion on checkouts, advised me later on that I may have been a tad harsh on one of the new guys.
    So the following shift Said Firefighter was assigned to drive the Fire Chief, (Lol)
    needless to say, said New guy didn’t go near a drivers seat for 6 months.
    From that day forward I don’t think the Fire Chief ever questioned morning checkouts & riding assignments from any of His Crew Chiefs.

4. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    I work Grocery retail. We’ll have people interview saying open availability, they really need this job. Then once we hire them they want weekends off, can’t close, call out because they need mental health days, they shitted themselves (not kidding, there is a separate call out procedure for foodbourne illness that gets you out of attendance violations).

5. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I work on a paving crew. In the summer when its over a hundred degrees, putting down asphalt that's over 300°, new guys don't usually make it more than a day. They're union laborers and equipment operators. They get sent from a union hall, then most of the time we send em back to the hall for a replacement.

6. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I've got to be honest, I don't think I was good at my occupation for a long time. I'm sure I was the topic of conversation at more than one dinner table.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  7. LJ973GM

LJ973GM Member

Feb 7, 2015
    In my craft we get a new apprentice about every quarter since the others top out after 5 years. I work for a large shop of 300-500 guys depending on workload/economy.

Out of the last roughly twenty apprentices, only 2 are solid and will have a good career ahead of them. The rest are gone and will be jumping on/off the list, waiting for calls to come in and then back the to list when their skills and work ethics are put to the test.

The powers above have noticed the lack dedication and common sense in a current apprentice at ages 18-22, so the age of an apprentice has increased.

I have plenty of more years ahead, so in a sense it is favorable, but it is also a frustrating scenario dealing with those who do not desire to listen to those in authority above them or care about the work they produce.

In the last 2 years I have seen men cry while on the job and it was not since the dog or a family member died, it is that they could not cope with work/stress. I am amazed they don't just leave or text me they crapped their pants, why would you cry at work in front of your boss and believe it will accomplish anything positive for your career.

8. MGK

MGK Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Sounds like most of the garbage guys in my neighborhood.

9. Pinpuller

Pinpuller Active Member

Apr 4, 2017
    My last few years on the job was as a trainer for new hires in safety sensitive positions. Had to wash out several who just didn't get it. Mostly those with an attitude who didn't listen or didn't give a damn. Just there to collect a paycheck. I figured I saved a few lives.

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  10. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    There are only two of us at work that do the job I do. My former co worker had nearly 40 years at the company. His replacement has only been with the company a few years, starting in the service department. I’ve got nearly 17 years, starting with the service dept. as well.

He’s got the right attitude and aptitude. We talk through issues both ways, if I can’t get hands on on new product he can, and passes on the nuggets, if he can’t, I do the same. A lot of what I try to pass on are the “variables”, the time savers, and work arounds. There is a steep learning curve some days, as we are the two that see new product; and the shortcomings, months before the first service guy ever sees it. If he hangs in, gets another couple years of seasoning, he’ll be where he needs to be.

Colorado Sonny and Lineman1982 like this.
  11. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Gotta train a new guy starting next week! :o.o:

Lineman1982 likes this.
  12. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Reminds me of the engineer we just "layed off". He doesn't understand why we already hired a replacement.

It was mercy during the hard times and should be thankful.

wrmiller and Colorado Sonny like this.
  13. Namloh2002

Namloh2002 Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I'm married with two kids. 7 days a week for a couple months sounds great. I'll come work for you!

14. Namloh2002

Namloh2002 Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I teach firearms to law enforcement recruits. These kids have never been in a fight, let alone shot a gun before. My favorite thing to ask them is if their mother dropped them on their head when they were babies. I got reprimanded too much for what I used to ask them.

15. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Of course there is the alternative..."Was you born stupid or did yo momma raise you that way?"

Namloh2002 and goodguywithagun like this.
  16. RSCamaro

RSCamaro Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    I'm in the refrigeration and air conditioning field. The guy that taught me always told me that in this field the ratio of knowledgeable tech to parts changers or run cap bandits, as it were, is around 10/90. Today I put it at 5/95. The newest guy in my shop has is a full journeyman but has just about zero knowledge on anything dealing with his job. Its a sad state were in concerning the mechanical trades.

I'm not the easiest on apprentices myself to the point that a former supervisor called me the apprentice killer. An apprentice accused me of putting him in a corner for a "time out". I didn't of course, it was more like " you won't do the assigned task then you can just go over there somewhere, I have no use for you right now". I have had an apprentice sit on a bench and hold an empty box for an hour or 2 while our supervisor was on a job site. when the supervisor asked about him, I explained that if he couldn't do as I asked then he could just sit on that bench holding an empty box. The supervisor agreed, now the said apprentice is working at a profession that he is more suited for and he loves it much better than this one and makes a better salary.

Sometimes if you are weak in one profession and get someone like me pushing you, you come out ahead in the end. Sometimes not so much.

...Ron

goodguywithagun and Lineman1982 like this.
  17. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018

I agree with that 100%.

RSCamaro and goodguywithagun like this.
  18. goodguywithagun

goodguywithagun Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 30, 2016
    I’m in HVAC too and have been known to be tough with apprentices. I only dropped one off at the shop. But the kids these days are too soft, sensitive and spend too much time on the phones. They have no foresight and the ability to learn to slow. I can usually tell within a couple hours if they’re gonna make it or not. The trades are in big trouble. Passing a test is very different then the real world. Technology is constantly changing in this field and what apprentices are taught is just the basic stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRYHUMOR, RSCamaro and Lineman1982 like this.
  19. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Yep. They want to get journeyman pay right away. They forget it’s a progression of learning and becoming trustworthy.

fatbaldguy and goodguywithagun like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted