Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IWB vs please.

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Chris James, Aug 11, 2016.

If you could only have one holster which style would it be?

1. IWB

2. OWB

1. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Looking at offering a designed holster in collaboration with Veil Solutions. If you don't know who they are, Chris Woomer is a great shooter and designer of some of the best gear. He has put his designs to the test to ensure the function of the product.

I am sure we will end up offering both IWB and OWB, just deciding which one to do first. We both have some great ideas brewing.

Kip and Wilsonwessonbrown like this.
  2. Wilsonwessonbrown

Wilsonwessonbrown Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I prefer owb personally.
    jakebrake and Kip like this.

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . . Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2014
    For 1911's it's IWB all the way. They are slim enough to accomplish this.

For plastic guns, full size Beretta's, H&K, IWB does not work well, they gotta be OWB.

My favorite IWB holsters are Milt Sparks style. Galco King-Tuk is a nice less expensive alternative. I found a guy once selling custom Sparks knock off's on eBay for around $60. I picked one of those up and use that pretty much exclusively. Have a 5" and 4.25" Sparks, but I tend not to carry them due to how nice they are. I want to keep them that way.

Weird, I know .. . . . .
    Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  4. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire Supporting Addict

Apr 12, 2016
    I like owb,but mostly carry iwb-seems to carry the weight better. Still prefer owb.
    Badabing11 likes this.
  5. joepilot

joepilot So soon old, so late smart...

May 17, 2015
    IWB for me. I don't wear enough outer garments in a style that would make OWB practical for concealed carry. IWB works best for me (or a shoulder holster).
  6. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jul 4, 2013
    I've been fallowing Veil Solutions for a while now on IG since I started dabbling in Kydex as a hobby. There stuff is clean and well executed. I will be interested to see what you guys come up with.
    Kip likes this.
  7. 5GUNS

5GUNS WHEELS & 1911'S Supporting Addict

May 12, 2015
    I've got to say both with a but....
    IWB gives me the feeling that the gun is more secured to prying eyes.
    OWB I think allows more comfort when riding the ATV or the tractor or lawnmower or even in the car.
    So stepping out it's IWB around the house/farm it's OWB.
    So I can't vote I need both.
  8. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. I'm just glad to be here!

Jun 25, 2014
    I tried to carry IWB once and hated it. Because of my stature, for me anyway, the holster, gun, or both seems to dig into my side which is very uncomfortable for me. So I've always carried OWB. However, for you guys that carry IWB, I can see the appeal and reasons...
  9. 5GUNS

May 12, 2015
    You've just never found the right IWB holster.
    I use to feel that same way until i found the right holster now it's almost more comfy than OWB.
  10. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    I feel the same way and with a long enough shirt I can carry a Monolith very comfortably

WC145 and Robert F. Ciancio Jr. like this.
  11. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. I'm just glad to be here!

Jun 25, 2014
    I know this will sent the thread down a mountain, but what do you suggest for IWB?
  12. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
  13. Bender

Bender Meh....... Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    If ONLY one, it would be a outside waistband
    Babboonbobo likes this.
  14. Katana_user

Katana_user Baka Gaigin

Dec 14, 2014
    I guess I must have found the correct holster, because if only 1 is allowed I'm carrying IWB.
  15. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL Supporting Addict

Mar 11, 2013
    But, I daily carry a G19 now that it's summer and appendix is the most comfortable. In the winter, IWB with full size.
    dgi, Kip and cor_man257 like this.
  16. cor_man257

cor_man257 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2015
    Inside. No contest.

As silly as it sounds o aloy of folks, it seems more comfortable to me. The weight is closer to my body. Im used to my Glock 17 iwb at my 330. I've drove across the country with it there. It honestly is more comfy. Then again i havent tried to many owbs, because i havent had a need (other than deployment).

The only time i carry owb is open carry (something i dont do much, really only at the range). But even then id rather tuck a shirt behind my iwb. I feel open carry (which to me is all owb is, you may feel different) should have retention. Iwb has one less step in my draw.

Iwb because:
    -Weight closer to body
    -What im nore experienced with
    -Larger market

Glock2740 and 1911fanatic like this.
  17. Avenger1

Avenger1 Regular Forces

Dec 23, 2015
    I've been carrying IWB, Crossbreed specifically, everyday for several years. It's nice because I can carry every size - from ultra compact to full size rail (w/o light attached) in the same holster. Covered by just a t-shirt.

This morning I discovered the kydex was cracked. I'll get the chance to see how Crossbreed CS handles it.
  18. 5GUNS

May 12, 2015
    Unfortunately this changes by individual.
    For me it use to be Milt Sparks VM 2 but since trying Nate's IWB holster i sold the sparks.
    Nate's is the most comfortable I've ever tried and I recommend them highly.
    Full size.
    He calls it the minimalist.
    It bends and forms to the wearers body.
    1911fanatic, Ethanol Red and Kip like this.
  19. deadguy

deadguy The Reverend Billy Graham Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    IWB will get more buyers initially, IMO.
    1911fanatic and SCS1911 like this.
  20. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 1, 2013
    I only carry OWB, unless it's a snubby in a pocket or ankle holster, and my preferred holster is Garrett's Silent Thunder TSX 2.0. I have them in three sizes to accommodate all of my 1911s, a 5" Silent Thunder Champion for competition, and a Silent Thunder Champion for my son's EMP4. They're holsters are comfortable, conceal well, fit perfectly, and the smooth leather lining does a nice job of protecting the pistol's finish.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Draft saved Draft deleted