James Mattis finally speaks out

Discussion in 'Political Outhouse' started by Dr Awkward, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Dr Awkward

Dr Awkward Member

Apr 28, 2020
    General Mattis has been exceptionally reticent about his time as Defense Secretary under Pres. Trump. No more:

IN UNION THERE IS STRENGTH
    I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled. The words “Equal Justice Under Law” are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.

When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.

We must reject any thinking of our cities as a “battlespace” that our uniformed military is called upon to “dominate.” At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict—between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them.

James Madison wrote in Federalist 14 that “America united with a handful of troops, or without a single soldier, exhibits a more forbidding posture to foreign ambition than America disunited, with a hundred thousand veterans ready for combat.” We do not need to militarize our response to protests. We need to unite around a common purpose. And it starts by guaranteeing that all of us are equal before the law.

Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that “The Nazi slogan for destroying us…was ‘Divide and Conquer.’ Our American answer is ‘In Union there is Strength.’” We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.

Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.

We can come through this trying time stronger, and with a renewed sense of purpose and respect for one another. The pandemic has shown us that it is not only our troops who are willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice for the safety of the community. Americans in hospitals, grocery stores, post offices, and elsewhere have put their lives on the line in order to serve their fellow citizens and their country. We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Square. We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln’s “better angels,” and listen to them, as we work to unite.

Only by adopting a new path—which means, in truth, returning to the original path of our founding ideals—will we again be a country admired and respected at home and abroad.

isialk likes this.
  2. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Wow my head is spinning after reading that^^^. I don't even know where to begin.

3. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I'm going to go sweep my back patio now.

HooDoo Man, MonkeyTwitch and raven5 like this.
  4. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

As expected, the OP has no opinion on the subject, he's simply here to offer a PSA from another Deep State "hero", pimping for effect.

5. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Sorry, load of crap.

Last bit; “...which means,in truth, returning to the original path of ourfounding ideals—will we again be a countryadmired and respected at home and abroad.”

News flash- the reality that the Left, media and puppet masters have ABANDONED the original path of our founding ideals- IS WHY THIS SHITSHOW IS UNFOLDING.

Sounds like Mattis sold out to Soros or has gone senile.

6. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    The original article that this appears in was posted at The Atlantic 6 pm EST today

zChambers, raven5, isialk and 3 others like this.
  7. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    And....personally don’t care what he thinks. Does the OP have anything constructive to add? Obviously he posted this to get a reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooDoo Man, Harleyvato and RN47 like this.
  8. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    Kinda striking to me how many people including here were happy as hell when he was ‘with’ Trump.
    Mad Dog Mattis he was called and all felt he was gonna kick some ass and do things right. Now that he no longer works for the POTUS and is speaking his mind those same people who supported him turned on him in an instant.
    And just as strange is that he himself is speaking out rather than keeping quiet.
    We have truly entered the Twilight Zone.

9. Dr Awkward

Dr Awkward Member

Apr 28, 2020
    I posted it without commentary because it speaks for itself. Gen. Mattis has standing to speak to this that none of us can pretend to match.

He understands leadership, and when he feels the need to break a long, disciplined silence he deserves heed.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    isialk, Raven312 and Chris Leger like this.
  10. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Indeed we have.

11. Guy Montag

Oct 24, 2014
    As does your BOILERPLATE

Thanks for playing, your Village called.

12. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Fox posted it as well.

Spokes likes this.
  13. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    Unlike your puppy post I think he was just sharing information

isialk and 7.62Kolectr like this.
  14. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    The more I read social media and news, the more I come to realize that I just don't care what other people think anymore.

15. Guy Montag

Oct 24, 2014
    That's some pretty hilarious stuff 'Mouche, thanks for the laugh, I needed it!

Cuz sharing is caring, and he's a caring sort clearly!

Spokes and Scaramouche like this.
  16. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    Lol @ people lashing out at OP because they don’t like what Mattis had to say lol.

Tallerico, isialk, Raven312 and 2 others like this.
  17. kevinlittell

kevinlittell Active Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Sounds to me like the use of Federal Troops against domestic rioters has his panties bunched....Which really SHOULD bunch everyone's in a wad for anything less then full out warfare on the Continent.

I think he just took it a little to far. So far This is the second Pres in a row that has gotten "special treatment" from MSM...One was excused for treason and one has been accused of it since he started winning primaries.

I still have alot of respect for General Mattis. He's a Patriot and although I dont really agree with him we are all entitled to our own opinions...

IMHO YMMV.

18. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018

Curious why attack the messenger for sharing the message which most of us had probably already heard? He didn’t even comment yea or nay on the one who spoke out. All he did was post what another person has said?

Au Jus in Bello and isialk like this.
  19. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    This is social media

20. Guy Montag

Oct 24, 2014
    7.62, the difference between troll and messenger is pretty obvious, his MO is a tired one.

Roehl, HooDoo Man and Spokes like this.