Jammed Thumb Safety

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Leadslinger585, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Leadslinger585

Leadslinger585 Active Member

Aug 6, 2017
    So on Saturday, I went out to the garage to fit a ambi saftey to my new Clapp Commander and got it stuck.

Couldn't remove it and somehow it jammed the sear in place. Took a needle file and filed off the surface of the thumb safety and was able to get it to release the sear and get some play but I still cannot get it to pivot up enough to remove it.

Any suggestions?

Once I am able to remove it (if I am able to!) I'm putting the original safety back in and leaving it alone!

2. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Slide on or off? Main spring housing on or off? Grip safety installed or off? Sear spring installed?
    If your capable of getting these items off or out of the way you should be able to visibly see what the problem is.

Uncle Bob likes this.

3. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    Bigger hammer. But make sure it is a bigger Brass hammer.

Steve Owens, UBOATDOC and Capthobo like this.
  4. Leadslinger585

Aug 6, 2017
    Everything was removed. I can see the issue and filed at it. Cannot seem to be able to file it clear of the sear.

Don't think you're being serious, but if you are: no, because I don't want to tweak the aluminum frame.

5. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Dude if you are filing a thumb safety that is still in a frame... bigger hammer is really the least of your concerns...

Steve Owens, gaijin and azpoolguy like this.
  6. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    OR? could the "aluminum" frame , being aluminum, be an issue it self?

7. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
  8. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Is the disconector loose enough to move up and down? Trigger fully forward? Did you possibly get the sear installed on the wrong side of the disconector? Or disconector in backwards?
    You are aware that the thumb safety only comes out at the mid travel point between on and off, right?

9. texasnurse

texasnurse Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2016
    The thumb safety shoulder itself is hanging up on the edge of the frame.

1) fit thumb safety to frame
    2) fit to grip safety
    3) fit to sear.

Remove Slide and Slide Stop
    Remove mainspring pin and mainspring housing and sear pin if possible. Pull hammer all the way back if still in place . You may need to use an opposing punch to dislodge the thumb safety.

Take your time and diagnose what part is hanging up. If all else fails take weapon to a qualified gunsmith!

Sent from my iPhone with a general disregard for the masses

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Steve Owens and Leadslinger585 like this.
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Most thumb safeties need to be in the 1/2 position to get out. Ambi's can be particularly difficult if the right side is still in the frame.

Make sure you remove the MSH first to take the pressure off the hammer, then pull out the sear spring. Remove the slide also to free up the sear and disconnector.

If these are all still in place, you'll have a much harder go at it.

Z

Edit: thought I hit POST REPLY on this early this morning.

11. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    So what's the verdict? Is it still stuck or did you get it out? I think Texas Nurse and others have hit it on the head, the thumb safety will only come out in the half way up, half way down position, what kind of thumb safety is it? Does the right side ride on the hammer pin, or is it a press fit?

12. Leadslinger585

Aug 6, 2017
    Haven't gotten to it yet. Will probably take it to a gunsmith.

When I put the safety in, the only thing remaining in the gun was the hammer, sear, disconnector and it's pins, as well as the stuff inside the plunger tube. Only the left side of the ambi went in and even with a brass punch and a 2 oz hammer the safety failed to be removed.

I have had 3 colts before this and am well aware of how to remove a safety. I may post pictures this weekend

EDITED text in italics

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  13. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Good luck, I know a lot of members here do their own work but sometimes you run into something that is best left to a professional. No shame in it.

UBOATDOC and Steve Owens like this.
  14. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    So, another stupid question do you have the hammer cocked back? If you don't have the main spring housing in and you have the hammer cocked back sometimes they can be a touch over cocked and that changes the position of the sear and disconnect and can also cause the safety to hang up..

15. mc armorer

mc armorer New Member

Nov 2, 2018
    if the slide is off,You may need to lightly tap the safety up to get the safety groove away from the frame. If this does not make sense, let me know and I will try to explain it differently. Just tap it up enough to be about 1/4 inch above were the notch location would be on the slide.

16. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Everyone else hit on the repair but what brand Safety are you using?
    Have you ever fit a thumb Safety before this one?

17. Leadslinger585

Aug 6, 2017
    Update, finally took it to a smith 2 weeks ago. Just needed a bigger hammer. I was worried about torquing the alloy frame that I was being a wussy about tapping it out.

Replaced the OEM safety and it's good to go. A lot of fun to shoot!

Greg45acp and Steve Owens like this.
  18. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    All of us that are learning this stuff can probably compile a list of parts we've wrecked. Hopefully not frames or slides...

I keep the first gunsmith fit barrel I horked up as a reminder to myself.

Steve Owens and Leadslinger585 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted