1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mom, sisters, and a few truckloads of cousins live in and around Georgetown, Texas which happens to be one of the epicenters of 1911s.

We drove down to spend Thanksgiving with the family and today I dropped by JEM.

They were closed, but the owner was in the parking lot getting ready to leave and asked if he could help me.

I happen to have a frame being built at JEM for a 1911 Mike Padgett is building for me.

Told Ed that and he offered me the nickel tour.

Pretty cool to see the process and CNC machines that make the frames.

It was impressive hearing his philosophy and history.

Got to hold some raw forgings before they had any machining done to them.

It was a great experience!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'll bet that was fun! I'm working on a build based on a JEM carbon steel frame with front strap 25 LPI checkering in 45 ACP. So far, I've found it to be pretty good, although I have nothing to compare it to, this being my first build.

What I do know is that the EGW JEM Beavertail Grip Safety Blue .250" Radius is a very close fit to that frame.

·
Registered
708 Posts
What I do know is that the EGW JEM Beavertail Grip Safety Blue .250" Radius is a very close fit to that frame.
FYI, EGW makes the grip safeties that JEM sells. Said differently, that EGW grip safety you cite is the same one sold by JEM.

I've built a couple of pistols using JEM frames and I found them to have all the holes in the correct locations which is more than I can say for some other vendors.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I’ve been there a couple of years ago.
Met Elliott and he was very cordial as well.
Being recently retired from the cutting tool industry and being around CNC machines for most of my 50 year career it was pretty cool seeing 1911’s being processed.
JEM would be my frame of choice if I were to build a pistol.
Great folks.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Neat stuff, I lived in Strickland Grove TX, about 5 minutes from GT.
Used to go to STI and Dawson's on a regular basis to pick stuff up
Good memories when you wrote this thread!
Only heard good things about JEM!

Reactions: gps man

·
Premium Member
8,135 Posts
What slide do you get for a JEM receiver?
I've used 4 Caspian slides, 5th on order. I'm using a Remsport on a project now, probably not again.

Reactions: Mike A and BobRock

·
Registered
335 Posts
Jem does make their own slides. They had been out of stock and removed from their website for some time. I spoke with Elliot on the phone a while ago and at that time they only had slides in .45ACP and were only selling them to gunsmiths. They are now again available on their website in any caliber.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jem does make their own slides. They had been out of stock and removed from their website for some time. I spoke with Elliot on the phone a while ago and at that time they only had slides in .45ACP and were only selling them to gunsmiths. They are now again available on their website in any caliber.
Yep. Got to see and touch them also.
Pretty cool to hold a piece of round steel bar stock and then the machines slide afterwards!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do they make commander slides with a bomar sight, slide serrations,etc?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I'm using a Caspian frame with a Colt MIL Spc. 1917 slide.
I was wondering. Some have said they use the JEM frames with Caspian slides.

Just by looks JEM looks like it's finished better than many others.
However. Why the JEM frame but not their slide. What is the difference?

Price wise the JEM is not that much more than Caspian frame, but
the Caspian has a true 1911 frame for our old Colt war horses.

Other than that I like the look of the JEM.

Oh! Walt at Caspian said they ( Caspian ) used Ruger machines to
make there Frames & Slides. Is this so??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.