1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a slide and frame from either one. Which are higher quality?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I built two pistols based on JEM frames not long ago and while they turned out fine the slide stop hole is located a smidge too high. This required some fiddling with the slide stop engagement hole in the frame which I would have rather not had to do.

·
The Tinker
3,315 Posts
I recently bought a 80% frame, slide, and grip safety from Jem. The grip safety would go in the frame, but when you compress the safety it would actually pivot away from the frame. I had to do a lot of cleanup on the inside of the frame to get the grip safety to pivot correctly.

Just my one-and-only experience with Jem. Others here have used Jem frames without any issues that I know of. YMMV of course. :)

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still kind of on the fence about this project. I'm towards Nighthawk personally. It's going to set me back a little.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I’ve built several guns using JEM receivers and one using Nighthawk. I’m happy with both and both have their idiosyncrasies.

Like wrmiller points out, the underside of the tangs inside the receiver needs to be dressed to get the JEM/EGW grip safety to pivot correctly. The plus side of that grip safety with the JEM receiver is that they marry up very well.

JEM also has many sharp edges to clean up, but once done the receivers are pretty sweet to work with. There are A LOT of custom smiffs using their receivers as OEM.

I haven’t had the experience Steve reports, but I wouldn’t doubt him. He’s one experienced smiff.

For the Nighthawk gun that I built, my hangup was the slide stop pin hole was undersized at .1985”. That’s great for a custom fit, and it worked out just fine, but I didn’t like the slightly under spec hole. I built a kit gun from Nighthawk for a friend and the gun came out perfectly. Their barrel, when fitted well, is a tack driver.

I’d take either. If you time it right, Nighthawk has 20% off sales and you can get a good price. You can also get a Nighthawk receiver with an undercut trigger guard.

If you get a JEM receiver, ask Ed to put an undercut on it before shipping. They do a nice job with that, but it’ll cost a couple extra bucks, I think.

X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I've built six using JEM frames and have been quite satisfied with their outcomes. I've never built a NH.
Of the six builds, 5 of them I used Caspian slides. I used one Remsport top end and it was ...ok.

Reactions: wrmiller

·
Registered
95 Posts
I recently bought a 80% frame, slide, and grip safety from Jem. The grip safety would go in the frame, but when you compress the safety it would actually pivot away from the frame. I had to do a lot of cleanup on the inside of the frame to get the grip safety to pivot correctly.

Just my one-and-only experience with Jem. Others here have used Jem frames without any issues that I know of. YMMV of course. :)
This happened with my first Jem frame . My second Jem frame did not have this issue. Overall, however, very good frames.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts

Do you have any pics of what you are talking about? I an having a hard time understanding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts