1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who own/use/like/love/couldn't-do-without-your JMCK AIWB holster, I need some help.

Getting close to placing an order and I'm obsessing about the details (natch). Please check my maths and let me know if I'm missing anything (I REALLY wish I could try these somewhere!)

1. Claw 2.0 v 2.5 - I don't think I'll EVER want to tuck a shirt behind my aiwb concealment, so I'm going Claw 2.5.

2. Belt Attachment - 1.5" Belt loops look like the best option for me, allowing for the most movement with my body while carrying. Right?

3. Extra Tuck v Muzzle Pad... One or the other... Or both?

4. Wide hole pattern seems like the best option for finding the best placement on my belt (v Narrow)

Final Questions: Are the belt loops removable, I have a set of Ulti-Clips that I might like to use with this set up. That seems to indicate I'd ALSO need to order the Discrete Carry Option in addition to the wide pattern belt loops (Right?)

What super-obvious thing(s) am I missing? I probably just need to get on the phone with these folks and hash it out, but if anyone has relatable experience I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
n.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You may want to cross-post this over at pistol-forum.com -- JM Custom Kydex is used and recommend by a lot of good folk over there and is often discussed; answers might already be found with a search, and if not, I'm sure you'll get plenty of informed responses.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right! There were several great threads on JM custom kydex over on that site. Found a lot of well thought out opinions there. Ended up going directly to JMCK and asking. I got a quick answer straight from the source and placed my order. I'll let you know how it works out in 5-7 weeks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you couldn't carry JMCK because they don't make one for your pistol, what would you use?

Springfield XD mod.2 3" 9mm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"What do you do" should have been my question, and I had it answered late last night.

You wait till John Mayer contacts you by email and says, "I have the molds what do you want?"

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I carry leather for my 1911s and JM Kydex for my Glocks/Sigs etc, JM makes a great product.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I wasn't going to wait 7-8 weeks for a Kydex holster.
I went concealment Express and made my own wedge, Claw and trimmed it slightly around the trigger guard so I could get a full grip in the pistol while it was in the holster.

Wore it the first day 6 hours or so, honestly the most comfortable I've carried a gun in 45 years of EDC literally.
2nd day 12 hours, and on and on and on.

The right belt helps a bunch. 3 stich web is much more comfortable than my leather Alessi gun belt. Jeans were not as comfortable as light tactical/Cargo pants. Jeans were fine, Wrangler cargo pants were better.
Wedge made a big difference especially when sitting, helps with no printing while standing and moving.

While a quality holster is a necessity the little add on's are what make it really comfortable and easy to get to.

I did about a 100 Dryfire draws and re holstering and then went to the range and ran about 50 draw and shoot one and then about 30 draws and shoot transitions and some speed drills.

All this is from a guy who never carried a FS pistol appendix prior to this. Only other gun has been a snubby S&W revolver for an errand gun. So take it for what it's worth!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll let you know how it works out in 5-7 weeks.
Just arrived today! I don't have much experience with kydex, but this it a well built piece. I've been tweaking and fitting and wearing it for the last 4 hours. I'm like 35 lbs overweight, but I've almost got this dialed in already! I'm losing that weight and I think it's only going to be more comfortable... Practice draws are really easy, uncompromised master grip is very easy because the ride height is perfect. Even with my gut, my 5" 1911 disappears under a t-shirt.

This isn't going to be my last JMCK. (I've already got one coming for my 9 mm :) )
IMG_20200515_204214.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone like me (a detail-obsessed newbie who frets over the smallest things) who may have a lot of questions about all the options available, here's how I stand on the choices I made:

1. Claw 2.0 v 2.5 - I don't think I'll EVER want to tuck a shirt behind my aiwb concealment, so I'm going Claw 2.5.
This was the right choice for me, for now. I'm able to dress pretty casually at work (Auto Shop) I may purchase a tuckable option at some point, but this is working well as my primary carry.

2. Belt Attachment - 1.5" Belt loops look like the best option for me, allowing for the most movement with my body while carrying. Right?
Another good choice (I should point out that all my choices were guided by conversations with JM). I like the adjust-ability for ride height and cant the loops provide. Some folks say they print pretty badly, but I'm not having that experience at all. I can't compare "freedom to move with me" between the loop and any other option, but I can say that whether I'd like it to or not, this rig doesn't move unless I move it.

3. Extra Tuck v Muzzle Pad... One or the other... Or both?
SO glad I passed on the Extra Tuck. The muzzle pad definitely enhances the disappearing act this holster performs on my pistol, but it's also a bit of a hotspot, causing some uncomfortable pressure after wearing it. The Extra Tuck would have been worse, I think. At least the muzzle pad is removable! As it stands, I can shift it around to improve the feel, and I know as I slim down it'll get less annoying. I also know that I'm only JUST getting used to wearing AIWB, so as I become accustom to having the holster there, it will become less of an annoyance.

4. Wide hole pattern seems like the best option for finding the best placement on my belt (v Narrow)
I stand by this choice too, though the Dickies shorts I most commonly wear have a belt loop at about 2 o'clock that interferes slightly with the position I'm wearing currently. Again, when I lose a few, I won't have to push it so far to the right and all will be right with the world.

Final Questions: Are the belt loops removable, I have a set of Ulti-Clips that I might like to use with this set up. That seems to indicate I'd ALSO need to order the Discrete Carry Option in addition to the wide pattern belt loops (Right?)
Yes, they're removable. I didn't get the Discrete Carry option when I ordered. I don't think I'll miss it, though. Maybe in the future...

What super-obvious thing(s) am I missing? I probably just need to get on the phone with these folks and hash it out, but if anyone has relatable experience I'd love to hear it.
Yes, calling or e-mailing *IS* recommended. Their customer service is second to none. Also... Relax! Everything really is laid out for you plainly on the JMCK site. All the choices are defined well and while there's a lot that goes into comfortable AIWB carry, this holster removes one of the big considerations because it's really well designed and well crafted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts