Job Interview gone wrong.

Discussion in 'Open Mic' started by bvbarry50, May 20, 2020.

1. bvbarry50

bvbarry50 Sarg.

Oct 11, 2018
    Reaching the end of a job interview, the Human Resources Officer asks a young engineer fresh out of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, "And what starting salary are you looking for?" The engineer replies, "In the region of $125,000 a year, depending on the benefits package." The interviewer inquires, "Well, what would you say to a package of five weeks vacation, 14 paid holidays, full medical and dental, company matching retirement fund to 50% of salary, and a company car leased every two years, say, a red Corvette?" The engineer sits up straight and says, "Wow! Are you kidding?" The interviewer replies, "Yeah, but you started it."

FWoo45, Lou1, 1911 dawg and 28 others like this.
  2. BillKilgore

BillKilgore Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Of course, the annual salary is $5000.
    :cheers:

isialk likes this.

3. RSCamaro

RSCamaro Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Isn’t that what the young people today expect? No apprenticeship or being an intern for a number of years to actually learn their trade? Nope, just give me the same that you get after 10, 20, 30 years of service. I’m entitled to it, pfff..... Little bastages

...Ron

4. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    My starting annual salary right out of college - $11,523.
    That's what an E4 made with food allowance.
    After 9 years, I made it up to $62,231 with BAH as a CPT.
    Took a paycut to become a civilian.
    Couldn't imagine what starting salaries are nowadays for kids coming out of school. With our economy, it's definitely a buyer's market for finding help.

Eric likes this.
  5. random84

random84 Member

May 4, 2020
    It's not a buyers market anymore- everyone wants $60k for an entry level job, and oh can they work from home?

Now with COVID19 it's easier to stay home and collect the bennies. If an employee gets sick it's a mandatory 10 days of isolation via a doctors note, then if you test positive you get 2 months of stay at home with pay or partial pay - longer if a family member gets sick.

Cant fire anyone without having to offer them their position back later.

Cant hire new people as they dont want to work, and if they do... there's the risk they get sick and stay home for a few months too!

Add in the corporate fluff of limiting hours and staff... there is no real recovery coming.

GDP down 10% in the 2nd quarter?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm sure you guys have seen this or you should had

7. Mikey00130

Mikey00130 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2018
    How long ago was that? I am a Sgt in the Canadian Army (E5 in US Army terms) and make more than the Capt. pay you specified (allowing for the mandatory 30% devaluation of our dollar against yours, of course) and have no food allowance or anything. We pay all housing and taxes and get no discounts unless specified at the time of sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I was a headhunter for 25 years and placed engineers exclusively. MIT was a top three engineering school in the country. And engineers that graduate top 10% of their class from just well known schools get jobs coming out of school regardless of the economy.
    But not $125,000.:p

That said, the OP’s post made me LMAO. :grin:

9. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    It's probably all a matter of perspective as some of my pay was tax free. But, the US military isn't known for making anyone rich.
    Here's the payscale from when I enlisted back in 1996 and Officer pay. It went up by the time I was done with OCS and I was technically an O3E because of my previous enlisted time.
    9874.png
    4789.png

Mikey00130 likes this.
  10. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Holy crap, just looked at today's pay, and it's almost double, to the dollar, of what 1996 pay was.
    Damn, I woulda stayed in had I been making that amount. Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 9.42.40 AM.png

Mikey00130 likes this.
  11. rhsth4

rhsth4 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2018
    I’ve been in aviation, rocket building, for 9 years till I moved. I’m still doing technical work just in a different field but I took the offer I was given. I’ve seen countless engineers in my time straight out of college complaining about what they make. At the end of the day you have to start somewhere. A school can teach you practices and ways to do things. But hands on experience and time in the field getting your hands dirty will prove what works and doesn’t. Can’t learn that in a classroom. This is what will get you to the level you want to be at. Patience.

FWoo45 and Mikey00130 like this.
  12. Mikey00130

Aug 4, 2018
    Wow, I’m making just less than an O-6 with six yrs plus....

13. Mikey00130

Aug 4, 2018
    In this one, I equal a W2 with three years in....I am a 22yr career soldier with six yrs as Sgt....

14. Mikey00130

Aug 4, 2018
    Experience pays more than textbooks do!!!

FWoo45, Babboonbobo and rhsth4 like this.
  15. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    W2/W3 are the best ranks in the US Army. CPL / MAJ are the worst.
    But, as a W2/W3 no one knows what the hell you do; you still outrank enlisted; have almost 0 responsibility; and are a mystery to both officers and enlisted alike.
    That's except for the 18 series WO's. Them- you don't fucck with. Ever.

16. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    Let me dig deep into memory banks, 1968, E-5 with 2 years in grade I was amassing a giant fortune of $310.00 a month, but $75 of that was combat pay. Base housing was a poncho so no charge for that. And I would have paid them to have some edible chow. LOL

Eric, FWoo45, july19 and 2 others like this.
  17. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    FYSA, The US military gives married personnel what is essentially a stipend for housing, food, and cost of living adjusted for each duty station and rank. Unmarried personnel receive similar moneys but less. These extra incentives are not reflected in base pay charts. Most military personnel also do not pay state tax.

18. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I think my pay when I enlisted (1974) was $326.

19. rhsth4

rhsth4 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2018
    My E5 pay wasn’t that bad in 2016 when I got out.

20. bvbarry50

bvbarry50 Sarg.

Oct 11, 2018
    That's about $1700 in today's current $ value.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted