1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
@Steve in Allentown

Don't know what is going on but when I copy paste the url it changes when I post it

Did a google search and found it. Search for Chambers Barrel Fit Challenge. It is in TOOS

Reactions: Dub

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I’m still not sure why the barrel fit “challenge” was such a big thing?

The numbers for upper lug engagement, breach face/hood fit, slide stop pin hole location, lower lug to pin contact, link dimensions, feed ramp angle and on and on and on are all well documented. Some guns have a better relationship of all those areas then others. Some shops concern them selves with barrel fit more then others.

If you buy a $5k 1911 from a shop that mostly builds bullseye guns then you might have better barrel fit with less attention paid to cosmetics and parts fit. If you buy a pistol with a bunch of awesome machine work then the barrel might not have as much “fitment” done to it. Then you have the situation that literally every 1911/2011 builder fits barrels just a bit differently. It’s still not a big issue if the pistol runs and shoots where you pointed it and can produce the groups you desire.

·
Registered
567 Posts
For me, it was about what could be done and how to judge how well it was done. From what I understand, Joe is very precise about all his fitting dimensions be it barrel bottom lugs, barrel bushing, slide-to-frame, so on.

Any gun that is good enough for you is good enough. But I've enjoyed his posts on what near-perfection might look like.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
But I've enjoyed his posts on what near-perfection might look like.
Or his opinion of near perfection.

Joe has down some documentation of high round count pistols his customers have sent in for a refresh. Once the barrel hood, upper lugs and slide stop pin wear does that pistol not meet the standard of perfection any longer? How much wear is still considered perfection? Or is perfection only the starting point?

·
Registered
882 Posts

The numbers for upper lug engagement, breach face/hood fit, slide stop pin hole location, lower lug to pin contact, link dimensions, feed ramp angle and on and on and on are all well documented. Some guns have a better relationship of all those areas then others. Some shops concern them selves with barrel fit more then others.

If you buy a $5k 1911 from a shop that mostly builds bullseye guns then you might have better barrel fit with less attention paid to cosmetics and parts fit. If you buy a pistol with a bunch of awesome machine work then the barrel might not have as much “fitment” done to it. Then you have the situation that literally every 1911/2011 builder fits barrels just a bit differently. It’s still not a big issue if the pistol runs and shoots where you pointed it and can produce the groups you desire.
Largely agreed, to which I add is fit well-enough to shoot relatively softly and maximize performance longevity.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Many do not appreciate the value of a good trigger until they have felt one. Most do not appreciate in how cue sticks ‘play’ until they have felt one that was different.

Same for barrel fitting. Until one goes beyond rote numbers and procedure they won’t appreciate the subtle points of a truly splendid fit.

Perhaps top level, skilled craftsman would find it redundant. Othersiterested ithefie science and art of barrel fitting learn from the positive critique of a craftsman of Joe’s caliber.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm no top level craftsman but to me the part of the barrel fit that matters is how the gun groups and how it continues to group with use.

Just thinking aloud but doing some angle math and I'm getting that 0.001" of play at the barrel legs is about 0.2" of play on a 25 yard target.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I get about .002” poi change for around .22” of site change at yards. This assumes a 6.5 to 7” sight radius.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts