1911 Firearm Addicts banner
61 - 80 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
As anyone done an in depth review on their guns, and seen how the fitting looks? Or is this just an assumption?
High volume Burton shooter here. Jason’s barrel fitting is top tier. From the lower lug fitting, horizontal contact on all three radial locking lug surfaces to the extra tight bushing fit I request. I will have no problems posting pictures of the work. The gun will be tested in a ransom rest this summer. Old picture:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I said this? I don’t build bullseye guns but I would bet one of my guns would do very well at Camp Perry with the right load and shooter. I almost guarantee the same could be said about everyone else who doesn’t wear the badge of “bullseye” smith.
Barrels are just that good now. Ammo is just that good now.

I wish this outdated notion that guys who build super high end guns that look great don’t focus on accuracy would just die already. 🤣

Lou Biondo said it best and I’m sorry if I’m misquoting him but he said something like “at that level, everything matters equally.” You HAVE TO have a gun that looks good. You HAVE TO have a gun that groups. You HAVE TO have a gun that runs. There’s no picking one or the other anymore or only getting 2 out of 3.
You know----upon reflection this sums it up very nicely! 2 out of 3 is just not acceptable.

Reactions: cgff and TexasBB

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Hi,
Another fly in the ointment, is, can the Average Joe, shoot better with a $4000 1911...

Than say, a $500 Glock?

I guess it's just a judgement call, and what you want to spend money on!
A bit better. In my experience putting a production 1911 in a polymer shooters hands will yield a noticeable accuracy increase.

·
Vendor
2,946 Posts
A bit better. In my experience putting a production 1911 in a polymer shooters hands will yield a noticeable accuracy increase.
This is something I notice all the time too. Better grip angle/ergonomics, easier to get a good firing grip with, heavier gun, usually a much better trigger. All these things add up to a better shooting experience and that usually translates into better personal accuracy.

Most of the polymer guns are 9mm and 9mm is usually much easier to get tiny groups with because it’s much easier to keep a 9mm projectile stable but a lot of people shoot 1911’s better than they shoot other guns.

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,842 Posts
One could say Jason does an in depth review of himself every week if you look at his shop pics thread.

You see him taking very precise measurements, machining the barrel lug radius to closely match the slide, machine cut lower lugs, etc. I have no doubt his guns group just from him “popping the hood”.

Ted doesn’t post much of the technical aspects of what he does online but you don’t stay in this business for 30 years and crank out 50-80 finished pieces of work a year at 64 years old without picking up a thing or 2. But to be fair, this definitely could be considered an assumption.
My Ted guns have an exemplary barrel fit in line with my expectations of a full house custom pistol.

·
Vendor
2,946 Posts
My Ted guns have an exemplary barrel fit in line with my expectations of a full house custom pistol.
I’m not surprised. The guy is legendary. When I speak to him I am constantly in awe of him.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
This is something I notice all the time too. Better grip angle/ergonomics, easier to get a good firing grip with, heavier gun, usually a much better trigger. All these things add up to a better shooting experience and that usually translates into better personal accuracy.

Most of the polymer guns are 9mm and 9mm is usually much easier to get tiny groups with because it’s much easier to keep a 9mm projectile stable but a lot of people shoot 1911’s better than they shoot other guns.
You nailed it!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I spoke with Joe Chamers twice…total time over 1 1/2 hours. He is was courteous and polite, even in emails. Arrogance was not a characteristic I would use to describe Joe.

One thread came up, Joe and I believe ,Evolution Armory, about fitting the lower lugsas EA describes. My impression from that thread was greater lower lug contact was desirable, i.e., more than the classic top and rear of the slide stop pin.

I have built several pistols and the single area consuming the most time (proportionally) is barrel fitting.

·
Vendor
2,946 Posts
I think lower lug contact is very important. It has to wrap around the whole slide stop. Bringing up the old barrel fit thread in this thread finally made me wanna fork over the 400 bucks to get the Weigand barrel fitting jig today. Ordered some custom ground .200 diameter endmills too. 😉

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,301 Posts
I think lower lug contact is very important. It has to wrap around the whole slide stop. Bringing up the old barrel fit thread in this thread finally made me wanna fork over the 400 bucks to get the Weigand barrel fitting jig today. Ordered some custom ground .200 diameter endmills too. 😉
You'll really like this fixture.. I happened into a used one early and their worth the dough.

·
Vendor
2,946 Posts
You'll really like this fixture.. I happened into a used one early and their worth the dough.
It’s worth it just for not having to hand sculpt the transition to get rid of barrel bump. I might buy the blank link cutting system and just make custom links per barrel from now on too.

Harrison half size links have been working out really well but if I can make a custom link, might as well, right?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I’ll admit, when I first started reading that thread and learned of the dreaded barrel bump, I went and cried in a corner for a few hours feeling that my Wilson’s were no longer adequate. :LOL:

And then I started doing research. Lots of research. I found threads about ransom testing of various builders to confirm accuracy that was “guaranteed”.

I came away from that with several conclusions. First of all, while there was validity to the importance of 100% contact, it wasn’t an absolute necessity to achieve excellent accuracy. Second, there isn’t one and only one way to fit a barrel so that a high level of accuracy is obtained. And lastly, the ammunition selected is equally important as the barrel fit in order to get good results.

All in all, I respect the philosophy, but it shouldn’t be taken as the one definitive approach.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
It’s worth it just for not having to hand sculpt the transition to get rid of barrel bump. I might buy the blank link cutting system and just make custom links per barrel from now on too.

Harrison half size links have been working out really well but if I can make a custom link, might as well, right?
Being able to make your own links would be awesome. On the few barrels I’ve done figuring out the direction I want to modify the link and then filing the radius to eliminate barrel bump takes way longer then cutting the feet.

61 - 80 of 131 Posts