close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

June training competition

Discussion in 'Training' started by khend1, Jun 2, 2017.

1. khend1

khend1 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm not a competition shooter and am not familiar with too many drills, so I searched a few sites for drills and came up empty, so I decided to make up a drill for this month. Another member once mentioned a rifle drill similar to the one we're going to shoot, but I think it is beneficial for pistol as well. I'm going to call it the Addict's Side-Step.

Paint 2 lines on the ground (or set up a few pop cans or any other type of visual aid) six feet apart and 10 yards from the target.
    Target will be an 8" circle. It can be a steel plate, the IDPA A zone, a paper plate, etc. (not everyone has an IDPA target, but every member out there can get their hands on a paper plate or piece of paper and a marker)
    Start with hands relaxed at sides, facing downrange, standing to the left of the first marker.
    At the start signal, draw and fire 2 rounds.
    Move sideways to the right of 2nd marker 6' away and fire 2 rounds.
    Move to the left of 1st marker and fire 3 rounds.
    Move to right of 2nd marker while reloading and fire 2 rounds.
    Finally, move to left of 1st marker and fire 3 rounds.

To put it more simply...12 rounds and 4 movements
    2 shots and move
    2 shots and move
    3 shots and move and reload
    2 shots and move
    3 shots

Scoring is easy and on the honor system. Fastest time wins, and any shots outside of target lines will be a miss with a 1 second penalty.

This will get the heart rate up a bit if shooting or dry firing more than a few times. I believe it is beneficial in a few ways. It will help gain the ability to aggressively move from one position to another, while losing sight picture and having to regain it on target as quickly as possible. For the reload, it does not have to be from slide-lock. If you choose to reload on the move instead of after the move, it will help in learning how to balance that aggressive movement with the finer motor skill of the reload.

Winner will get $75 dollars by paypal or a gift card, and I believe one of the new Addicts challenge coins.

Good luck and be safe!!

colrhino, Dons1911, Kip and 4 others like this.
  2. LBZ

LBZ Active Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Very Good!

khend1 likes this.

3. 1911KY

1911KY Tres Gunna! Supporting Addict

Mar 20, 2015
    For those of us that like a visual course of fire! :D Spruced it up a little, as I am setting this up at Ed's shoot to try and drum up some more shooters!!

[​IMG]

I will post the left flyer on a stake and have the COF for everyone to go over! Maybe we will break the 10 shooter mark :D:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    colrhino, Dons1911, Kip and 3 others like this.
  4. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    Cool! I can't find any matches this weekend so I'll post up a run either Saturday or Sunday.

Kip, khend1 and 1911KY like this.
  5. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    Just got my new BP .45 today. Maybe I will get my act together and join the fun.

Kip, cwoods, khend1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. khend1

Mar 10, 2013
    Great job on the visual aid, KY! Mine would've been chicken scratches on a paper towel, lol.

Hope you're able to get a few more shooters to join in on this one, and possibly get them hooked on participating in upcoming ones.

7. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 19, 2015
    Question:

Can we run these with Red Dots, or will that disqualify me?

Just picked up a nice Ed Brown SF with RMR and I'd love to run it through these drills.

It may hurt my time until I get familiar with it. But just wondering if an Optic run would count?

colrhino, khend1 and Kip like this.
  8. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I say it is fine but not the guy holding this months competition. It's for fun anyway.

colrhino, Jollyroger1 and khend1 like this.
  9. khend1

Mar 10, 2013
    It's fine by me this month! I'd be wanting to try that out as well...

Jollyroger1 and limbkiller like this.
  10. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    You had my vote at:
    :D

TexasBB, Jollyroger1 and cwoods like this.
  11. Jollyroger1

Sep 19, 2015
    I said "MAY"

;)

Sterling Archer likes this.
  12. v1911

v1911 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    At these distances, I don't see @Jollyroger1 having any advantage. And that's after hours upon hours of dry fire practice. Which does a poor job of simulating actual dot bounce from live fire. ;)

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  13. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 28, 2013
    I like this drill...good for moving and reloading and shooting after getting your heart rate up...good training for USPSA and other things....Unfortunately, my indoor range doesn't allow drawing from the holster (retarded....they feel it's a liability :o.o::mad:) and there isn't 6' of width in the booths...so I'm out this month....maybe next month...

khend1 and Jollyroger1 like this.
  14. khend1

Mar 10, 2013
    Dang it! Sorry I picked a drill you can't be in on, Zipper. :-(

15. Sterling Archer

Aug 30, 2015
    I was wrong. We got nailed with a storm so I checked the weather and it's looking to last all weekend. The outdoor range will be flooded and the indoor range doesn't allow movin' and groovin'. Next weekend!

16. Jollyroger1

Sep 19, 2015
    Where's the unlike button????

khend1, Dons1911 and Sterling Archer like this.
  17. Dons1911

Dons1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 6, 2014
    Cool drill @khend1 , I'm excited to give this a shot! I'll be a couple weeks before I can run it, got a 2 day class next weekend.

And yes, every month the winner will get a super sexy Challenge Coin!!!

cwoods, khend1, v1911 and 2 others like this.
  18. purple bikerr

purple bikerr Active Member

Dec 17, 2016
    When I was a yung'n, I was told not to run with scissors or a knife in my hand, and you want me to run with a gun???

Cool!!

v1911, Dons1911, khend1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Buckhorn

Buckhorn Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 30, 2015
    I ran this a few times today with the Baer Recon I just got from Jolly. The good news is the gun is excellent, runs like a champ! The bad news is all the movement doesn't exactly help my slow shooting. Very glad I can shoot at home vs a public range as I probably looked like a monkey trying to hump a football. Great drill, looking forward to getting better over the course of the month. Good times

cwoods, v1911, Dons1911 and 3 others like this.
  20. LBZ

LBZ Active Member

Nov 2, 2016
    OK, I'll be the first to post a time.
    16.96 was the best of 4 runs today. I'm sure a couple of you guys will smoke this time right off the bat.

cwoods, azpoolguy, Buckhorn and 4 others like this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted