Just because you can?

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Flight Medic, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Flight Medic

Flight Medic Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Every now and then I see a gun that makes me scratch my head and ask..."why?" (such as a double-barreled 1911). The latest one is this offering from Remington...the 700CP

[​IMG]

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to firearms, but I cant figire out the philosphy of use for a bolt action pistol(?) that requires a scope. Im not saying its wrong...I just dont get the intended purpose. I know there are guys who like to hunt with revolvers that are so big they require a monopod...but at least you get 5-6 shots without changing your grip. With this, a right-handed shooter would have to either fire with his left hand, or repeatedly release their grip to actuate the bolt...correct?

[​IMG]

Can anyone here shed some light on this for me. Im not trying to be a d!ck or be controversal...Im seriously clueless why anyone would buy this.

WhoIsJohnGalt? and Gripwright like this.
  2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Firearms manufacturing is a business. I get where your coming from and liked how you put your comment.

Gripwright and Kip like this.

3. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Looks dumb.

1911fanatic likes this.
  4. Gripwright

Gripwright Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2016
    I think they have a history of having a "thing" for this basic configuration. This looks like a modern riff on their XP-100 or, more likely, the XP-100R which was a repeating, bolt action rifle caliber pistol. It ought to be a good varmint or sport gun if that's the way you roll. I've always had the hots for an XP-100 even if I have no current use for it. fireball.jpg

UBOATDOC, awp101 and FWoo45 like this.
  5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Why would anyone want to shoot a 45/70 in a mares foot Winchester. Or an over & under 10 gauge with pistol grip & 14" barrel.

Gripwright likes this.
  6. awp101

awp101 Veni, vidi sum oblitus

Jan 12, 2017
    There's a whole group of shooters that are into specialty pistols such as these and they're used for anything you'd reasonably use a bolt action or single shot rifle for such as hunting, silhouette and other types target shooting. Some want a new challenge and others like myself just find them neat and interesting.

Every couple of years I go through a phase where I want to get into specialty pistols like these. I've had a few Contenders, a Savage bolt action .22 pistol (501F IIRC?) and even a Clerke Arms Xtender upper that mounts onto a 1911 frame:
    [​IMG]

I never fired mine but here's someone else's review:

FWoo45 and Gripwright like this.
  7. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I’m amazed there is a profitable market for whatever it is.

8. Flight Medic

Flight Medic Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2018
    OK...this is kinda cool, though. I'd buy this simply for the aesthetics.

UBOATDOC and Gripwright like this.
  9. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    A bolt action pistol with a left sided bolt makes a lot more sense, but logic and reason do not appear to be involved in these designs. I think it’s stupid, ugly and a waste of resources, but they must figure someone will buy it. Given Remington’s track record the last few years this could be desperation but is probably just another poor decision. I think most people who buy this kind of stuff like it because it’s unique, but they don’t get shot much. The guns I see getting shot a lot are the standard, time tested designs, be they rifles, pistols or shotguns. Heck, what do I know? I’ve focused on pistols designed before most folks had indoor plumbing or electricity!
    Can’t wait until we see the first of these Remington wonders show up used in the classifieds.
    Jeff

10. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Dumbest, most useless gun I’ve seen in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted