Just got home from the indoor range...

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by ButchA, Feb 2, 2019.

1. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    As I posted on Facebook (and hopefully nobody freaks out...):

"Just got home... Had over a 1/2 hour wait, as Winding Brook was packed with people, plus they were having a firearm training class too (which is why the parking lot was jammed).
    I had a great time, a little nervous at the beginning, and was all over the place. But with the help from the RSO (Range Safety Officer), who's former Navy, he helped me relax, focus, and not get all jittery. He made me laugh which really calmed me down. "You got a solid steel 1911 .45 okay? It ain't gonna fall apart. It ain't gonna hurt you. Those old things are built like tanks! Breath, relax, and always stay focused on the front sight. Every squeeze of the trigger should be a surprise."
    So, as you can see by my target from 20 feet away, I initially was all over the place, but after his help, and I calmed myself down, I was hitting the bullseye straight on, and couldn't believe it! Now, I just have to remember this for next time! :D "

[​IMG]

2. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018

3. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Nice shooting! Glad you had fun!

ImperialBlade and ButchA like this.
  4. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Good strong finish! I typically don’t start out real strong either. Takes me some time to acclimate indoors, especially since I don’t get out enough. Always a good time though! Just keep banging away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Good job.

I used to make my own targets. Then I got lazy and just started using sticky notes. (My range provides cardboard backers.) I'll put up a sheet of paper so that I can see where my shots are landing if I miss. Letter size copy paper will do. Then, depending on the distance, I'll put up a 2x2, 3x3, or 4x4 sticky note on top of that. Sometimes I'll put up an array of them and work on transitioning from one to the next. You can even mix up the sizes to practice balancing speed with accuracy. Then I just replace and/or reposition the sticky notes as needed.

I've also started buying IDPA practice targets in bulk from Midway. You can get full size IDPA sillouets printed on newsprint-like paper for around 50 cents a target. The only downside is that the zones are visible at distance, giving you clear points of aim. On a real target these zones are somewhat hidden, and you just have to know where to shoot.

6. Otherside

Otherside Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Good shooting, busy weekend ranges will do that to you. Take your time it is not a race.

Recoil, ImperialBlade and ButchA like this.
  7. CENTURIATOR

Dec 20, 2018
    Was this your first time with .45ACP or with a 1911? Or both?

8. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    I usually go shooting Wednesday after work. When I'm on the range by myself, or with one or two other people. I tend to shoot better without a crowd.

9. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Love your targets Butch. I print them out on card stock.

Good shootin' too.

10. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Good Lord no.... I've had my full size RIA 1911 .45 ACP since August of 2016. I'm not a member of a shooting club or range club or anything like that. I'm just a regular guy, who from time to time, will go back out and put some rounds down range. So far (2/2/2019) my RIA now has just over 850 rounds and not ONE problem, FTF, FTE, etc... Just amazing performance from an inexpensive 1911! :D

11. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Thanks, Zoid!!! :D

This is the target that I made and used. Feel free to download it, pull it up in photoshop or whatever photo editor you have, and change it around. It will print out on heavy cardstock just fine too.

[​IMG]

Mike Meints and Scaramouche like this.
  12. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Hmmm, maybe we were/are confused by what you wrote about the apparent angst and/or trepidation that the RSO needed to assuage

ImperialBlade, CENTURIATOR and ButchA like this.
  13. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Thanks... I haven't shot my RIA 1911 in quite a while and was seriously out of practice. :(

ImperialBlade and ORShooter like this.
  14. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Glad you were able to get some shooting in and looks like you came out well! Nothing wrong with a little help from an RSO time to time.:thumbs: Better that than a mistake!:eek:

15. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Thanks... Yeah, it was one of the "hazards" of ending up as a Yeoman in the Coast Guard, stuck behind a desk doing military paperwork and personnel records. I never ever got to play with any of the cool toys! LOL... :D

Recoil and ImperialBlade like this.
  16. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    The center of that target’s missing.

ButchA, ImperialBlade and ZoidMeister like this.
  17. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    I also think you were just showing off when you dotted the I’s in caliber and island.

18. CENTURIATOR

Dec 20, 2018

Bingo...from the way he wrote his note I wondered if it was the first time he had ever handled a firearm, let alone a 1911 in .45ACP. :)

ButchA and ImperialBlade like this.
  19. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    No, it's just that I haven't been shooting in quite a while and was seriously out of practice.... :(

For Lou1 --- the exact center of the bullseye has a single white pixel square dot, from my own creation, as I wanted to do something for the rifle shooters out there, zooming in with a powerful scope, and they can set the crosshairs exactly on that white pixel, dead center in the bullseye.

Lou1 likes this.
  20. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Um... No, that wasn't the intent....

I will confess though: I feel so ashamed for neglecting my RIA 1911. I looked back at my various postings and notes and whatnot. The last time I was at the indoor range was last Sept 9th!!! :eek:

Sept 9th 2018
    Feb 2nd 2019
    ----------------
    Just about a 5 month absence from any range activity! No wonder I was all rusty and all over the place on my target! For shame... For shame... :(

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted