1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I can only speak to the fit and finish as I've not had the opportunity to take it shooting. And my experience is personal not professional. I consider the fit to be very, very good - best seen from the rear slide/frame, all tight and tight fitting. I can detect zero rocking twixt the slide and frame. Zero rattle. I'm not complaining about the finish because mine is more than acceptable by my standards, I do wish Colt had made them Ion Bond or Nitride, only because those are my favorites.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tremendous respect for Cooper, his work and writings - I've read everything I can find over the years. And I love the 45 ACP. I've had carpal tunnel surgery on my weak hand two years ago this coming March. I need to have the right hand done - it's not a fix. It's a procedure that lets you tolerate certain things. And that's the rub - 45 ball level recoil is becoming a problem. For the first time since discovering my first 1911 50 years back, I'm looking at the 9mm in.....the 1911. Love the 38 Super, but it's a reloading only proposition for me. The 9 - lots of cheap ammo out there to work with. I see a 9mm in the 1911 in my future.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no hijack - perfectly good question. I've arranged to borrow a locally available 9mm/1911, have owned an older Commander 6 years ago, let a friend talk me out of it. No hand issues then.....da? I do like the 38 Super - recoil is very tolerable but it is a reloading issue. I do, but not in volume for it. Just passed on a nice used older Sig P229 DAK in 40 S&W, my initial thought was to stick a 357 Sig barrel in it. Decided too much of a pain and I sure ain't reloading that little bottle necked beast! So the 9mm might be the answer. I hav e a Wilson EDCX9, it's just a bit difficult to keep that double stack frame hidden on my small 160/5-7 frame. I hid a Glock 19 for years, but that was work and if it printed a bit, so be it at times. I did just shoot extensively a Glock 48 as a test. I liked the feel, bit snappy on recoil so and in the end I let it go and retained my G26. I've tried the Shield, we had half-dozen in the office. Never fell in love with it. So there you have it, hence my asking about Colts Gun Site pistol and not minding your question inquiring about 9mm at all.

·
Banned
150 Posts
I have both a GS 5" Service and a GS CCO. They have both been 100% reliable out of the box. I did change the plain black front sight on both pistols to front night sights. I left the Novak black notch rear sights on the guns. BTW the CCO has front and rear Novaks and the Service Pistol has a Novak rear and Heine Front. Both guns have Series 70 firing system. The present Colt production CCO's are Series 80's pistols, as are the TALO CCO's. These 1911's will not win any beauty contests. The SS 5" is dull and the CCO is a nice Blue/Black Matte finish. They are working guns IMHO and more than up to the task. Their fit is no where near that of my Baer, but they are not sloppy. they have gone BANG everytime I pulled the trigger and are accurate enough for government work. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My hands hurt too when shooting a lot 230gr ball ammo. I watched a video with Ken Hackathorn who also talked about how he had trouble after shooting a number of 230gr ammo and he said going to standard pressure 185gr had helped to lessen recoil and pain in his hands. It's more expensive, but my hands hurt less.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Last time I took a class from Ken he said he shot a lot of 9mm to protect his hands.

For soft shooting 45 loads you might take a look at:

http://bigcountrytacticalammo.com/45-acp-3gun/
The owner of the company is on the Air Force shooting team and says the load is a powder puff...even less recoil than a 9. I have been meaning to try it but haven’t gotten around to it

To get back on topic, I would love to see one of the Colt Gunsite models in the flesh but no one around here has one.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looked at their ammo - interesting. If it's accurate, reliable and clean - getting tough to beat some offerings out there through reloading. Might try one of their 250 packs, thanks for mentioning.

and I've never found a Gunsite Colt in LGS within reasonable driving range. And only have one dealer who stocks many Colts, don't know if Colt changed their distribution methods or not, but seems fewer dealers in my region keep their products on shelves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.