1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9 or 45 for a lightweight Ronin Commander. No secret I like these Robins, great pistols at an excellent price point.

As I age I enjoy the 9 more and more but since this will be a carry a lot shoot a little piece I’m leaning more towards the .45. I can get either at the same price so that’s not an issue.

I also wonder if the .45 would hold more interest down the road if/need to sell. Hmm, all decisions should be this fiff

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
Since you posted it as a dilemma.... I'll just tell you how I would solve it if were mine. I also am aging.... faster by the day it seems sometimes. I do .45s in full size, I sometimes do .45s in Commander steel. I do not like .45s in Commander or CCO LW for more than a mag. full and then only to remind me why I don't like .45 LWs.

So there you go......... You still have a dilemma. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Series70 and Doc45

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I personally do not believe in the mindset of "carry a lot and shoot a little", I find it foolhardy if I am to be honest and blunt. Therefore my answer is buy whichever you will train with the most.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I always prefer .45 because I feel like a bigger hole lets the evil leak out quicker. But I totally understand some folks preference for 9mm for all the reasons presented in this common argument: less punishment on aging hands, higher capacity, more economical to shoot, etc etc etc. I don't really believe resale value is much different between the two. There's true believers on both sides. I say go with the one you like best for whatever reason, and carry the one you shoot best and have the most confidence in. Hell buy both, be proficient with both, then carry whichever tickles your fancy that day. 🤠👍

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Doc,

I reached a point where even in pre-pandemic times I found it more enjoyable and cost effective to take the 9mm route over the .45 for range fun. A 9mm 1911 is a soft shooting pistol and ammo is generally available, albeit at inflated rates these times. Of course, your mileage may vary. 😉

Frank

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I always prefer .45 because I feel like a bigger hole lets the evil leak out quicker. But I totally understand some folks preference for 9mm for all the reasons presented in this common argument: less punishment on aging hands, higher capacity, more economical to shoot, etc etc etc. I don't really believe resale value is much different between the two. There's true believers on both sides. I say go with the one you like best for whatever reason, and carry the one you shoot best and have the most confidence in. Hell buy both, be proficient with both, then carry whichever tickles your fancy that day. 🤠👍
I too am a fan of bigger holes, the answer for aging hands at least in my mind is to reload and load 185 or 200 grain rounds for practice, more economical and easier on your body if you have arthritis or some other ailment.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 9mm, but I do also like the .45. Currently, my 1911's are all nines. 2 DW Guardians and a Vigil CCO. I will eventually own a full-size in .45, but it will always be 9mm for carry. I feel pretty confident in 147gr. HST's as long as I do my job. IMO, a LW commander size 1911 in 9mm is just about perfect. We could argue 9 vs. 45 all day and in the end it really doesn't matter all that much. Carry what you like. I'd probably really like a Ronin, but the lack of front strap checkering keeps me from buying one. As far as resale, I think the 9mm is really gaining ground if not already in the lead, IMO. That wouldn't sway me though. Just get the caliber you want.

·
Premium Member
12,598 Posts
I personally do not believe in the mindset of "carry a lot and shoot a little", I find it foolhardy if I am to be honest and blunt. Therefore my answer is buy whichever you will train with the most.
My original LWC Commander was set up pretty much like my Series 70s. I did shoot it in practice on occasion but nowhere near as much as my full size 45s.

It's an alloy frame, they don't take that kind of use very well.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
9 or 45 for a lightweight Ronin Commander. No secret I like these Robins, great pistols at an excellent price point.

As I age I enjoy the 9 more and more but since this will be a carry a lot shoot a little piece I’m leaning more towards the .45. I can get either at the same price so that’s not an issue.

I also wonder if the .45 would hold more interest down the road if/need to sell. Hmm, all decisions should be this fiff
As others have more eloquently said, dumb question. If you’re going to carry it, you better know how to shoot it or it’s worse that a paperweight. Also the resale value on guns in this price range isn’t really a concern. Sub $1k 1911’s aren’t really going to hold their value if shot and/or carried, I’d give a slight edge to the 9 though. Good luck and be sure to post pics when you decide.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
As others have more eloquently said, dumb question. If you’re going to carry it, you better know how to shoot it or it’s worse that a paperweight. Also the resale value on guns in this price range isn’t really a concern. Sub $1k 1911’s aren’t really going to hold their value if shot and/or carried, I’d give a slight edge to the 9 though. Good luck and be sure to post pics when you decide.
Well said

Know how to shoot it and put enough rounds through it regularly to know it’s reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
My original LWC Commander was set up pretty much like my Series 70s. I did shoot it in practice on occasion but nowhere near as much as my full size 45s.

It's an alloy frame, they don't take that kind of use very well.
While I absolutely agree with you Bob, I think that your idea of shooting a lot and the vast majority of others, are two completely different things. Many talk about how none of their guns has ever had a hiccup, with a couple hundred rounds through em.

·
Premium Member
12,598 Posts

If you're not that old and don't have the usual old age complaints, go 45acp.

I did buy a 9mm LWC just to see if I'd like it. Shortly there after I bought this. Love it after swearing no more 9mm 40 years ago. On bad days, it's strictly 9mm for me. On really bad days, I carry the LWC.

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
12,598 Posts
While I absolutely agree with you Bob, I think that your idea of shooting a lot and the vast majority of others, are two completely different things. Many talk about how none of their guns has ever had a hiccup, with a couple hundred rounds through em.
First thing I've done with all my 1911s is make sure they're reliable! My two 9mm Springers eat everything I've fed them. So far only 1 FTF with Speer Gov contract ammo with hardened primers. Got it cheap, so it's practice ammo.

The ROC has at least 500 rounds through it, the Ronin? Not keeping track. If the weather is decent, I'm at the range as much as posdible.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
There are a couple of bonded 9mm hollow points that will put a serious pause in a hog at 25 yards. Boutique rounds like the Underwood Defender 90 grain +P+ will put a hog down in it’s shadow.
I don’t know what 45’s can do to a hog but 9mm has come a long way.
fwiw
And sometimes 9mm will do this…

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me say number one I’ve been using 1911s professionally for over 40 years and there are some I shoot a lot and some I shoot a little and not to brag but I’m pretty damn proficient with all of them.
Number two the arthritis in my hands has ended my guitar playing while I can still manage a 200 round training session with an all steel .45. At the end of that session however my hands are a bit sore.
I carried a lightweight Colt through most of the 80s and 90s. I carried it a hell of a lot more than I shot but high scores were not a problem.
This new purchase will be shot to a high level of proficiency and then a few rounds (50 or so) every couple of weeks.
I do appreciate the responses, I’ll mull it over and then decide.
Stay safe all.

·
Premium Member
12,598 Posts
There are a couple of bonded 9mm hollow points that will put a serious pause in a hog at 25 yards. Boutique rounds like the Underwood Defender 90 grain +P+ will put a hog down in it’s shadow.
I don’t know what 45’s can do to a hog but 9mm has come a long way.
fwiw
And sometimes 9mm will do this…
Placing shots under pressure is far more important than magic bullets.

·
Premium Member
12,598 Posts
Let me say number one I’ve been using 1911s professionally for over 40 years and there are some I shoot a lot and some I shoot a little and not to brag but I’m pretty damn proficient with all of them.
Number two the arthritis in my hands has ended my guitar playing while I can still manage a 200 round training session with an all steel .45. At the end of that session however my hands are a bit sore.
I carried a lightweight Colt through most of the 80s and 90s. I carried it a hell of a lot more than I shot but high scores were not a problem.
This new purchase will be shot to a high level of proficiency and then a few rounds (50 or so) every couple of weeks.
I do appreciate the responses, I’ll mull it over and then decide.
Stay safe all.
@Doc45 , got the same problem from a lot of years of shooting a lot of hot 45acp ammo.

It's why I never considered a 45acp LWC.

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
Actually.... I have found that a heavier bullet with a lighter load produces a slower/softer push back while a lighter bullet at normal load producing more snappiness. In any case, shoot what feels good to you. No sense in making your hobby or livelihood unenjoyable.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I think the 9mm Commander in that model is interesting. I am moving more toward 9mm 1911's for everyday shooting. I'm in my early 40's and I'd be lying if I didn't acknowledge that shooting high volumes of .45 leaves the hands a little more tender than it used to and that's the way of things. As far as resale value goes, I think the 9 will be a bit more valuable. They seem like pretty good guns for the money, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

·
Premium Member
12,598 Posts
PS @Doc45 , Ronin yes, bull barreled Springfields... not impressive. I have a "bull" barreled RO Champion and it'll do, but next Commander is one with a bushing. Options may vary, but I can show you what I can do with both.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts