1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a MAC Classic from CDNN for $589.99. Seems like a really nice deal on a custom fitted gun (supposedly) that gets great reviews & sells for $800+ about everywhere else I've looked. I think it might be a nice start in my first full size 1911. I could do with a little less roll mark but other than that, I think I'm going to really like this one.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/mac-1911-classic-45acp-deep-blue.html

·
NRA Life Member
2,167 Posts
Congrats - dont forget to provide a range report!

·
In Kentucky
10,585 Posts
Looks good. I almost pulled the trigger on one. But Mary would kick my azz

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is supposed to be delivered to my FFL this afternoon and he lives 5 minutes from my house, so I should be shooting it this weekend and will file a range report.

I was thinking about buying one more just to stick in the safe since the price was so good and the reviews are so strong, but I went to CDNN yesterday evening & they are all sold out. Knowing CDNN, they probably won't get anymore.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gun has arrive, first impressions and pics:

Positive:

-Nice finish (smudges in pics are gun oil smudges)
-attractive wood on grips
-overall sharp appearance
-very crisp, light trigger
-VERY tight slide to frame fit

Negative:

-bevelled grips on a gun w/ a magwell looks somewhat odd, not a big deal since I'll change them anyway
-VERY tight slide to frame fit - so tight infact, that it's extremely difficult to rack the slide and almost not possible with the hammer down, and the slide will not return to battery without a stout whack on the back with the palm of my hand

When I say that racking the slide is difficult, my ffl holder is a 65 yr old man, retired firefighter, man's man, and he could not rack the slide with the hammer down, period. I'm 6', 200 lbs and reasonable strong man and I had to put so much pressure on the slide to rack it that once it "broke" free, it felt like I was slamming in back, even when cocking the hammer first.

I've never encountered this problem before and I'm wondering if it will smooth right up with a little range time or if it needs to go straight back for service prior to firing?

·
Pulling my hair.
30,731 Posts
The Metro Arms guns have a hand fit slide to frame. Clean it and run it wet. It will smooth out in a little while.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the internals made of?
If you mean who makes the individual components, I have no idea. I haven't detailed stripped it yet, but I probably couldn't tell you who made the parts even if I had. I don't know whether they make their own or source them somewhere else. Probably a combination.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I recently purchased one of these. Took it to the range this past Tuesday. First 50 rds through it were on target with zero malfunctions of any type. So far g2g. Will test it more thoroughly next trip. Fit and finish is excellent. Appears to be very well made. I really like it so far.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
If you mean who makes the individual components, I have no idea. I haven't detailed stripped it yet, but I probably couldn't tell you who made the parts even if I had. I don't know whether they make their own or source them somewhere else. Probably a combination.
Was curious as whether the internals are MIM or tooled steel or a mix.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was curious as whether the internals are MIM or tooled steel or a mix.
Ah, of course. I'm not going to detail strip it till I run it wet & put a few hundred rounds down range, which will hopefully be on Sunday afternoon.

I can tell you that the hammer is tooled steel, so at the very least it's a mix.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on my MAC Classic: I haven't been able to get to the range because of work demands and my wife insisted that I get my income taxes ready for our accountant before 4/1 (good wife), but I did strip it completely last night and here is what I found:
1. Primarily MIM parts including the hammer (I was mistaken previously) but they seemed to be well made, fairly well polished and I don't really have a problem with them for a range gun. I'll probably upgrade them in the next few weeks, but just for my own satisfaction.

2. Springs seem to be very good quality and I'll probably stick with these unless I find a reason to change them.

3. Trigger bow: to my dismay and consternation, the trigger bow was bent and dinged up. This is only my 3rd 1911 but I didn't see anything like this on my cheap Para or my much nicer Rem Carry. I contacted Eagle Imports & they told me to contact a warranty center, which actually makes sense. I contacted the warranty center in TX and asked for a simple replacement instead of having to send the whole gun in for repair. I'll let you know how it goes. I've attached pics of the trigger bow and would like to know if any of you have experienced anything similar at anytime with your 1911's.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Sweet acquisition and thanks for the report! I agree with you on the beveled grips against a magwell, gotta go! Also, the trigger face looks different, serrated side to side as opposed to vertically. You like it? Could you post a pic of it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You can polish up the trigger bow pretty easily, hopefully they just send you a replacement. Brownells makes a stirrup to form the bow which you may or may not find useful in the future thus justifying the 30-40 bucks for the tool.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet acquisition and thanks for the report! I agree with you on the beveled grips against a magwell, gotta go! Also, the trigger face looks different, serrated side to side as opposed to vertically. You like it? Could you post a pic of it? Thanks!
Actually, serrations are vertical with some horizontal serrations as well. They feel fine but, as I said, I haven't fired the gun yet. See pic.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can polish up the trigger bow pretty easily, hopefully they just send you a replacement. Brownells makes a stirrup to form the bow which you may or may not find useful in the future thus justifying the 30-40 bucks for the tool.
Yep, I already polished it, but the kink in the back is next to impossible to straighten and if you look at the first pic and the back of the trigger bow, you'll see two dark marks on either side of the kink. These are where the disconnector rubs against the back of the bow. As you can see, only the outside edges move against the bow rather than the entire flat surface of the disconnector, which has already started causing abnormal wear on the bow and the edges of the disconnector after only dry firing a few times. It definitely needs to be replaced in my opinion. If they won't send me a new one, I'll just go ahead and upgrade the trigger to a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk custom.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yep, I already polished it, but the kink in the back is next to impossible to straighten and if you look at the first pic and the back of the trigger bow, you'll see two dark marks on either side of the kink. These are where the disconnector rubs against the back of the bow. As you can see, only the outside edges move against the bow rather than the entire flat surface of the disconnector, which has already started causing abnormal wear on the bow and the edges of the disconnector after only dry firing a few times. It definitely needs to be replaced in my opinion. If they won't send me a new one, I'll just go ahead and upgrade the trigger to a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk custom.
I would hope they just send you a replacement trigger but I'm with you...if they don't, just upgrade it!

Look forward to the range report.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts