Just picked up my first DSLR.

Discussion in 'Photography' started by CanIhaveGasCash, Jan 26, 2012.

1. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I picked up a Canon T3i to start my foray into the photography world. I've got the kit lense, and I also have a canon 50mm 1.4 on the way. I have found that I really like long exposure night photography. So I decided to order a real tripod instead of my walmart wonder, and a remote shutter release so that I can have exposures longer than 30 seconds and so the camera won't move.

Any ideas on what I should be looking to ad next? I'm thinking I'll probably spring for a quality walk around type lense.

Here is some of my handiwork

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Get a good Canon speed light. Don't skimp on a good flash.

Monopods are great as well.

3. Nyack1911

Nyack1911 1911 addict

Sep 20, 2011
    thank goodness,it's a camera. i thought it was a new have to have 1911:biggrin1:.
    enjoy the camera.:thumb: ny

4. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Like dead said, don't skimp on a light. Find the model that suits your needs, and then get the model up from that!!! Sigma makes a lens that won't break the bank, and is somewhere between 14mm-200ish??? Have to check the website for that, but I remember seeing it, thinking that it would be the perfect walking around lens because I probably would never change between my 14-42 and 40-150.

5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    for night time shots, i stop my camera down to probably f8 a long 30s shutter.

6. SuHu

SuHu Bang Bang

Jan 22, 2012
    Congrats! Buying my first DSLR some years ago really hooked me into taking photos. You should actually be just fine for quite some time with what you have. Just working on learning the camera controls, and how to compose and frame will keep you very busy.

When I take pictures of the night sky, there are a few things I like to do. I find which f stop is the sharpest when the lens is focused at infinity (or whatever I'm focused on), and keep it there. Then I try and follow a simple exposure time rule of 400-600 divided by my current focal length. That's my max exposure time in seconds, and it helps eliminate streaking. You'll have to play with your ISO to find which gives you the best light/noise ratio.

f8, 1/400 sec, ISO 160, 135mm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  7. goyena72

goyena72 My RO

Feb 23, 2012
    Important piece of data. One very important thing to look for is the type of sensor the camera has. At one time the Nikon cameras had the CCD type sensor, after Canon came out using the CMOS sensor, it was obvious the quality was a bit better than CCD. So, today all the top line DSLR's use CMOS. And even some of the Point and shoot cameras also have them.

8. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    The 55-250 and the 18-135 lenses are both fairly good walking around lenses. Enjoy your camera. It will take very good pictures and you will learn a lot using it. The Magic Lantern guide book will explain every feature in plain English and is a valuable reference when you need it.

9. Mansfield

Mansfield New Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Being a photographer for over 25 yr.
    Follow the "KISS" rules.
    Yes buy a good quality Canon flash if you can a 550ex at the lease, plus a name brand or non will do where you can attach the camera with a cord to the flash to move it away from the camera.
    Do not skimp on the tripod, even used will do but it must not move!
    Last but not least ~ keep a small book with notes with what you did and what worked. Go to.. http://issuu.com/mihailkostadinov/docs/studio_photography_essential_skills
    But now you have entered a new world of photography please note....
    Beginner once but a student for life ........ just as you are with your 1911

Quack and deadguy like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted