Just 'Say no to BarSto'

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by M5Fan, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Sr at his prime. Most of us in the SWPL used them and Sr's recoil buffer.

2. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    I've used a bunch of BarSto bbl's in 1911/2011 builds always been very satisfied.
    But these were all bbl's that had to be fitted.

? why would you buy an aftermarket bbl that was the drop in? Even a conversion , wouldn't you want to fit it to get the best accuracy out of the pistol. Just one mans thought!

wrmiller likes this.

3. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    That was the classic BarSto way. During IRv Sr.'s days you normally had to take a finishing reamer to the chamber.

Some people don't know how to fit them, don't have the money to have one fitted or just don't know any better.

I have a 1911A1NM and the guy that built it should have been flogged. He did the barrel lugs wrong and one broke on me. Afternoon of cussing a lot and I cleared the jammed up pistol. Since I was close to a lot of the old Brownells staff, one of the told me they just picked up the Storm Lake line and asked if I wanted to try one. I did and dropped it into the pistol. It isn't as good as a match barrel and in fact I can keep up accuracy to half the distance I could with a match barrel. But it'll do for the meantime since the frame is 76 years old and I prefer to keep the wear and tear down on it.

I could restore it with another military match barrel and bushing... who knows.

wrmiller likes this.
  4. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I do not want to air dirty laundry but I’ll never use Bar-Sto again, got burned by them. It is definitely not the same company as when Irv Sr. was around. Jr. is more of a glock guy in search of profits not producing quality barrels like Sr.

Uncle Bob, M5Fan and rmac like this.
  5. Chucknew

Chucknew Member

Sep 23, 2017
    I ordered a semi fit threaded for my P229 Legion a year ago. Dropped right in and shoots fine. I need to order one or two more for my 1911s (commander and gov) in 45 but may consider other options now. Ive poked around looking for other suppliers but didn't see many, never heard of Briley.

6. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    Remsport has a decent threaded barrel for a Commander size.

7. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    There are a lot of alternatives for a 1911 barrel. Kart, Clark, Storm Lake (they're not that bad), etc.
    You could easily get a dozen suggestions on here. IMHO after putting a friend through the headache of going to BarSto, I'd strongly suggestion more research into alternatives.

rmac likes this.
  8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Just fitted my first Remsport to a slide this afternoon. So far, so good, but I'll wait to see how it shoots. It was less than half the price of a KKM, so that's a good start. :)

I've also had good luck with Briley, Clark, and Ed Brown. Plenty of choices out there.

rmac likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted