1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Noticed this question had popped up at my yearly physical awhile back. Answered appropriately, in the negative Great find sir!

·
Failed all therapy
3,154 Posts
Just had a man blow his face open with a shotgun in our town. Lost his jaw, tongue, both eyes but he survived.
Sometimes the question is appropriate. Not everything is a government conspiracy.
I agree, but asking that man the question wasn’t going to save his face, IMO.

·
What me worry ?
11,096 Posts
My answer would be “ none of your business ,I hired you to work
On medical issues ,if you have a problem doing that ,your fired “
One employees a Doctor to preform a specific service based on expertise ,much the same as hiring a mechanic or lawn care service, no more no less.

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,861 Posts
I'm with @jaydoc 's "sometimes it's appropriate", 2/3rds of annual gun deaths in America are suicide.

There's a lot more to doctoring than most of us non doctors know. Sometimes a doctor will ask an elderly patient if they still retain a driver's license, and yeah, they aint part of the Department of Motor Vehicles.

It aint simple and I also agree that if you don't like the question, change the subject. I been seeing doctors on and off for 70 some years and never got asked that question.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,599 Posts
I'm friends with my doctor and he's a gun guy. When I see him he doesn't ask if I have any, he wants to know if I've gotten anything new for him to shoot. In fact, I've even sold him a few guns. Plus, he's one of our hospitalists and he sees me on the side so there's no electronic records or any of that BS.

·
Kevin G
7,960 Posts
I'm only asked in a questionnaire once a year which I leave blank! But I routinely wear pro 2nd Amendment shirts to Doctors appointments! Which Doctors see because I see the doctor more than the average person!

·
i'm riding a turtle!
3,198 Posts
I think we sometimes frame this question by our situation and don’t see it as appropriate. I rarely ask the question but if I do, it is because I think it’s relevant. For example:

A 70 year old woman whose husband is getting demented and beat her up. Does he have a gun?

A 26 year old mother of small boys whose husband is a good old boy but not that responsible. Does he have guns that the boys could get their hands on?

A 55 year old man with Bipolar depression and a history of suicidal thoughts. Should we discuss whether he has guns?

Medicare and Medicaid want me to ask everyone and put it in the chart.
I tend to only ask when my internal radar starts pinging and it is out of genuine concern.

Although the system has an agenda, your doc is probably just trying to do right by you and yours. Feel free not to answer, but getting our hackles up just make gun people look that much more stereotypically weird.

·
What me worry ?
11,096 Posts
I can appreciate your thoughts under the outlined circumstances ,
But feel it’s wrong to pursue this line of questioning to maintain
Compliance with a system (insurance co) that is always searching
For an excuse to deny service .
I would consider it to be a breach of Doctor patient trust which a,physician
Is bound to uphold .
“ do no harm “

·
Pulling my hair.
27,675 Posts
My first heart attack was the day before squirrel season and I told the doc to let me go so I could go hunting in the morning. "Sorry you are having a heart attack and you aren't going hunting". The second was during deer season and I told them it was gonna be cold in the morning and a great day for deer movement and to kill one. "Sorry you are having a heart attack and ain't going hunting." So yea they knew I owned guns, but I live in Ky. and nobody really cares. Seems most here own a gun or 50.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
Never been asked outright (not on Medicare) but they always ask “do you feel safe in your home?”
My answer is alway HELL yes!

Then they ask “do you worry about where your next meal is going to come from?”
I answer hell no, I takes care of me and my womans!
PS: kids are grown ass adults!

I don’t have a big problem with the doctor doing his/her job and if it requires getting into the gun subject then so be it. Yes it’s all our right to own a firearm or many firearms and shall not be infinged!!!!
Even though we all know and agree there are still people that should not have access, just not sure how to handle this.

but........
I do have a HUUUGE problem with it being a governmental requirement!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Lots of reasons many doctors are turning away new Medicare patients. About the gun question for those who might know, do they ask specifically "Do you own a gun?" or do they ask "Do you have a gun in your home?" Curious because living with my elderly parents they might answer yes in reference to my firearms.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts