K6s 3" range report and leather

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by LPRoad, Jul 10, 2018.

1. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    As I posted earlier I recently purchased a Kimber K6s 3" for summer carry since I was having issues with debris getting into the action of my beloved 38 Super LW Commander.

Holsters for the 3" Kimber K6s aren't as readily available as they are for the 2" model. For the OWB I ordered a simple pancake holster from MD Whitefield Leather. The options are somewhat limited (cant angle, leather and thread color) but the holster is very well built, and fits perfectly. The price is at the lower ind of the spectrum for what I seem to be paying these days, and the wait time was very reasonable.

For IWB carry, I e-mailed Tucker Gunleather to see if they could accommodate the 3" model and the response was almost immediate; yes they could! In the past I have generally used kydex for my IWB holsters, but I am really impressed with how the rough out leather keeps the gun from moving around. With the angle of cant I chose, the clip sits behind the cylinder bulge, making the revolver take up no more waist room then my Detonics Combat Master whose clip is centered on the holster. Delivery time was less that what was quoted and the craftsmanship is impeccable. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Tucker Revolver Cover-Up IWB holster.

I picked up some cheap NOS Don Hume dump pouches which when the plastic liner is pulled out hold 6 round speed strips quite handily. I was able to find both single and double pouches on Ebay, so I bought one of each.

I have one more holster on order, a fancy crossdraw rig from Lance Nixon, but it is several months out so I figure I will do a separate review on that when it arrives.

Range time started with me checking the sight regulation at 15 yards. As I mentioned before, the trigger is smooth with almost no stacking, and it can be staged for a very single action like mode of firing if one so desires. I shot 5 different loads, 3 357 loads, (Speer, Federal, and Fiocchi), and 2 38 Special loads, (Remington Golden Saber and some 158gr cast reloads). The best 6 shot group was 1.5" with the Speer Gold Dot 135gr short barrel specific load. The worst group was 3" with the Fiocchi. All of the rounds shot to the same point of aim, approx 4" low when holding the orange paster on top of the front sight post. When I started shooting steel, I held the front white dot where I wanted the bullets to go and that seemed to do the trick. I had no trouble keeping a cylinder on a 10" plate at 15 yards at a fair pace (which I assume will pick up as I re-familiarize myself with double action revolver shooting) and taking my time I was able to ring my 12x20" at 75 yards with no problem.

(Please forgive all the cover tape on the target, I recently moved a bunch of optics around on some rifles and I was feeling lazy, so I just used a relatively clean target left over from that session. The cover tape is NOT from the K6s session)

I really like the gun, it carries well and shoots well. I imagine I will go back to 1911 carry when things cool off, but the K6s is perfect for my summer use.
    IMGP2218.JPG IMGP2219.JPG IMGP2221.JPG IMGP2222.JPG

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    xerts1191, WC145, Slapshot and 14 others like this.
  2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Great gun and rig! Love the pancake.

LPRoad likes this.

3. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Very nice! I love a 3" Wheel Gun!!

LPRoad likes this.
  4. LPRoad

Mar 16, 2015
    Yeah, the 3 incher seems to be a nice compromise between a snubbie and a full size revolver. I was a little hesitant to go with a Kimber, but this is a really nice gun.

41 Charlie likes this.
  5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    When the missus said she wanted one, I was less than enthused. I have no love for Kimber, at all. I will give credit where credit is due. This revolver is a home run. Well a triple maybe, only because it is overpriced by 20%. I snuck it out last week and sent about 50 downrange. Very enjoyable.

ImperialBlade, 41 Charlie and LPRoad like this.
  6. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Nice gun, gear, and report!

LPRoad likes this.
  7. ILED93

ILED93 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Good review. I like the looks of that Whitefield holster. I need one for a 2.5" Model 66 and have looked at his web site. It's nice to see a pic of one in the wild.

LPRoad likes this.
  8. LPRoad

Mar 16, 2015
    It's a good holster. It locks in over the recoil shield and took several days of carry and drawing before I could smoothly clear leather. That being said, the design keeps the gun secure and debris out of the cylinder.

9. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    I have the same sediment for Kimber and their 1911 offerings.
    However, their wheel guns have me seeing them differently...only for their wheel guns.

LPRoad and fatbaldguy like this.
  10. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    LPRoad, I am intrigued by this model, especially the 3 inch version. Do you have a caliper or some way to accurately measure the length of the cylinder? I am curious if the cylinder is full length or short like so many other 357's. Years ago I had the Ruger SP101 in both the 2.25" in 357 Mag and the 3" in 38 Spl. The 357 had a very short cylinder. And, thanks for the report and the pics.

ImperialBlade likes this.
  11. LPRoad

Mar 16, 2015
    The cylinder is 42mm long. If that isn't accurate enough, I can use a caliper later tdoay. - Allen

ImperialBlade likes this.
  12. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    I just measured a Smith & Wesson 586-3 cylinder(non counterbored) with a cartridge case in it at 1.682" from the rear of the case to the front of the cylinder. My caliper showed that is just under 43 mm. Of course you probably figured out I am wanting to know if Keith (#358429)cast bullets can be used in 357 Mag brass crimped in the crimp groove with this gun. Looks like it would be very close for the Kimber. Thanks much.

LPRoad likes this.
  13. Chief1297

Chief1297 Active Member

Feb 10, 2018
    How was the ejection of the spent casings? Is that a fill length ejector rod?

14. LPRoad

Mar 16, 2015
    No issues with case ejection.

Chief1297 likes this.
  15. Chief1297

Chief1297 Active Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I ordered and received a tucker holster for both my 1911 ECO (HF2) and one for my walther PPS (pancake) and will only use him from now on for my holster needs. I would love to get an IWB for my SP101.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted