Kahr MK9 & K9 Elite Review and Range Report

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by awpk03s, Oct 24, 2011.

1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Last week I did some horse trading and picked up a couple of new pistols.

[​IMG]

I have had several experiences with Kahr pistols in the past, 4 to be exact, 2 PM9s, P380, PM45, and all were polymer frame guns. Kahr was 3/4 with the guns I had in the past. I really like the extremely compact and flat profile of them, the low bore axis, and the trigger that is while long, absolutely smooth as butter. I sold all of my other Kahr handguns in the past, but I wanted to try the stainless models that they are so famous for, so I got 2 examples of them to and these are their stories.

Kahr MK9 w/Night Sights:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The micro sized stainless 9mm is my new dedicated carry gun. It's small size and flat profile makes it easy to carry in a pocket, IWB, or on the ankle. Some will say that it is too heavy for pocket carry, but I disagree. I don't find pocket carrying this pistol obtrusive in any way. It really shines IWB however. The sheer compactness of the gun makes it amazingly easy to conceal - anytime anywhere. And no sharp edges anywhere make it comfortable as well. I ordered an Occidental Stronghold Phoenix to carry it IWB, but my Comp-Tac CTAC is making do in the meantime, as well as a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, and Galco AnkleGlove.

Enough about my intentions and how it carries... what about the gun itself and how does it shoot? Well, when I picked it up I added a set of Crimson Trace Lasergrips for it. I really kind of like the idea of LG on a carry piece. A nice feature is these grips are nicely checkered which is more grippy than the stippling on the hard polymer factory grips. I took it to the range and fired 200 rounds of 115gr FMJ (WWB & Federal) and 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P hollow points. I used both factory magazines, a flush 6 rounder and an extended 7 rounder.

The trigger pull is as sweet as I remembered it, and the weight of the stainless gun really helps with the recoil, which was very light. Accuracy was excellent as I expected, but for the most part I was not shooting for accuracy - just trying to put rounds down range to break it in and make sure everything works properly.

I did most of my shooting with the lasergrips turned off. I really like the 3 dot Meprolight Night Sights on this gun, and they work quite well for me. I did shoot with the laser as well to sight it in, and to get acquainted with it. The laser is different - I find myself still wanting to line up the sights instead of following the red dot, but I imagine the dot's usefulness really shows when you are for whatever reason compromised or in a stressful situation. I probably need to do some additional shooting and training with it to be sure.

Kahr recommends 200 rounds minimum to properly break in the gun and alleviate any reliability problems thereafter. I fired more than the requisite number of rounds, and I'm pleased to say that upon doing so, I had no issues. I had 3-4 FTE in the first couple boxes of ammo where the spent case got stuck in the ejection port. A quick rack of the slide spit it out and chambered the fresh round without problem. I could have been limp wristing the gun also - this was a pretty extended shooting session for me as I also fired several others during the range trip too. But, the good news for me is that once I eclipsed so many rounds, and dived into the hollow points, I had no problems.

I really really like this pistol and think I've found my CCW nirvana here.

Kahr K9 Elite w/Night Sights:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I picked up this pistol with the sheer intention of it being a dedicated nightstand pistol for my wife. She had a S&W Nightguard revolver previously, and the trigger sucked and it was just big and awkward. This is going to be an excellent replacement. The K9 is a perfect fit in the hand, and the weight and balance are perfect as well. I got a K9 Elite instead of a standard K9 for two reasons, 1) I wanted a standard Kahr trigger and not the 12lb NYPD trigger that comes on standard K9s, 2) the polished stainless on the Elite is pretty - my wife likes things that are pretty.

The pistol I ordered did not have night sights, so I got a set from OpticsPlanet for $76 and installed them at home with my new sight pusher. I also installed Crimson Trace Lasergrips on this gun as well.

The range report is pretty boring for the K9 Elite. 200 rounds of FMJ. 50 rounds of hollow points. All of them fed, fired, and ejected perfectly. All went into the center of the target. Laser grips worked perfectly, had to sight them in a little to adjust elevation. Everything here works as advertised. The trigger is amazingly smooth and easy, recoil is minimal, that's about it.

Anybody looking into these guns, I can highly recommend them.

2. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    Bringing this back from the dead. Do you still have this gun? Thinking of buying one from a friend.

3. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I had a K9 elite before I transitioned back to 1911s. I had some feeding problems, nothing severe but enough that I did not carry the gun. My problems seemed to be mag related. Single stack mags, including those for 1911s, always seem to be more of an issue than double stack.

4. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    Got my K9 yesterday. It is sexy.

5. Raul Perez

Raul Perez Member

Mar 25, 2019
    Funny I've always liked the way the K9's looked. I've fired a CM9 a friend had and the trigger pull wasn't as terrible as I had read about (the simulated DAO pull). Never made a move on one though.

6. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I like ‘em. 629E51B0-0140-4B00-B6F3-685F6E459459.jpeg

LPRoad, ronin11 and duketbrd88 like this.
  7. NDMarksman

NDMarksman New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    I love all my Kahr pistols and I carry my K9 Elite regularly!!

Attached Files:

gun_fan111 likes this.
  8. NDMarksman

NDMarksman New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    I had Robar "Blacken" my T9 several years ago.

Attached Files:

1boyscout and gun_fan111 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted