1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bullseye season is approaching rapidly so today has been spent doing more ammo tests.
Eley Red Box seems always the gold standard but the RWS pictured is running it neck to neck in this gun.
This is the 3rd variation of Fred’s Conversion Unit. Same micro-groove barrel as the earlier ones.
This one was the last of five I purchased from from him in the early 1970’s. After sitting new in the box for almost 45 years I took it to K.C. with a hankering for a new gun and this is the result. Definitely exceeds my expectations and groups better than the other four.
The magazine under the gun is a Kart and the other two are German Sporting Magazines that I just tuned to the gun making a total of six GSM ones for this gun.
Shooting on my hind legs today but as soon as the weather permits I’ll shoot in from my Ransom Rest just to check groups. Will post them when completed.
For anyone who hasn’t seen one the hammer is K.C.’s Battle Axe. The trigger is just a bit more than a 1/4 roll.
Yes, I know the gun has fingerprints on it and it is a bit dirty but it just had 300 rounds through it and it’s going shooting again shortly.
Hope you enjoy this type 1911,
Ron
BEE512EE-573F-4E15-A45E-30B3DDDC01C8.jpeg
94CA0465-F995-413B-A88C-A684BFA6EA3E.jpeg
BEE512EE-573F-4E15-A45E-30B3DDDC01C8.jpeg
94CA0465-F995-413B-A88C-A684BFA6EA3E.jpeg

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I like the look of your dedicated 22 Bullseye gun

Reactions: 41 Charlie and rmac

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
The upper design looks ala SW 41. I’ll bet that baby’s a tack driver

·
Registered
381 Posts
So HOW does it group (in inches) I am getting great from my Hi Standard Victor with an LSP barrel and CCI SV.

David

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So HOW does it group (in inches) I am getting great from my Hi Standard Victor with an LSP barrel and CCI SV.

David
With Red Box Pistol (Eley) if you really know how to use a Ransom Rest and change mags as you would in Bullseye shooting a Kart Conversion will shame a Free Pistol. Usually grouping in the 3’s or occasionally in the upper 2’s. That’s tenths not inches.
That aside my scores with my old High Standard Supermatic Victor from 1966 sometimes matches the scores from my Kart’s and it shoots in the upper 5’s.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,057 Posts
Explain how that slides operates as it appears to,have two parts that slide. I love posts of things I have never seen.

Thanks for posting and i think your photo ability is exceptional

Reactions: rmac

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I shoot mostly CCI standard velocity through it. I am not much of a bullseye shooter
Have a about a half case of CCI standard velocity from several years back and it groups well. The current lots seem to suffer from inconsistent rim thickness and cause too many malfunctions. Hopefully this is a malady that has been corrected as some old lots grouped really well

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Explain how that slides operates as it appears to,have two parts that slide. I love posts of things I have never seen.

Thanks for posting and i think your photo ability is exceptional
The forward and upper part with the rib mounted on it is one piece that is attached to the frame by the slide stop pin and tensioned by a screw inside the recoil spring plug forcing the rod that looks like a full length guide rod back against the frame’s vertical impact surface. The lower rear part reciprocates by blow back action and operates as would a normal auto loader slide.

·
Registered
381 Posts
rmac. Beautiful gun you have there. It shoots better than my Anschutz rifles.

My Victor would only shoot the European ammo. Anything like CCI SV it would choke on. I bought the LSP barrel that was guaranteed to shoot 1" with CCI SV. It fixed my malfunction problem and shoots 1" @ 50 yards using a 7X scope and sandbags. I have no ransom rest available to me. LSP is made from a Douglas blank.

I never tested it with the original barrel. I have not tested it with top quality ammo either. I am at expert hoping to see Master some day.

·
Get off my lawn...
14,822 Posts
Very nice, Ron! You have some very nice Firearms!!

Late to the party - as usual...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The forward and upper part with the rib mounted on it is one piece that is attached to the frame by the slide stop pin and tensioned by a screw inside the recoil spring plug forcing the rod that looks like a full length guide rod back against the frame’s vertical impact surface. The lower rear part reciprocates by blow back action and operates as would a normal auto loader slide.
Many years ago, pre Kart or Marvel, I read a gunzine article on target conversions of SM Ace or Conversions. There were detail differences, but all had the Ace slide milled down to this "Model 41" shape and the barrel rigidly mounted to the frame. Some had the same rearward extension so sights would be non-reciprocating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts