Kart xact fit barrels

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by ACP, May 22, 2019.

1. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Anybody have any experience installing a Kart xact fit, and feedback on how they like it?

Looking at fitting one onto a Caspian slide, 5" .45 on a JEM frame. This will be my first barrel fitting attempt.

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    I did one on a 38 super and was really happy with it. Just follow the directions and don’t get in a hurry and the results should be great.

Colorado Sonny and Slapshot like this.

3. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    Quite often I stop by Fred Kart's and pick up barrels. Have known him since late 70's. He is quite adamant that the Exact Fit is equal to or better than gunsmith fit.
    Lots of gunsmiths don't want to hear that. On the other hand lots of gunsmiths use them but just say Kart barrel.
    I won't state my extensive test of gunsmith versus Exact Fit.
    Instead I'll suggest you Google a test Charlie Petty did of the two. Only a fool would argue Mr. Petty's credentials and his accuracy test are there for all to see.
    Get the installation kit take your time and will have no problem.
    Research why he went to Exact Fit, rather interesting.
    Wishing you good shooting. Ron

4. rmac

Jan 26, 2016
    @ACP, look in the Reloading Sub- Forum under 'Light 200 grain loads'.
    Someone just posted a group of targets shot with an Exact-Fit barrel he installed.
    Think you will be impressed. R

41 Charlie and Colorado Sonny like this.
  5. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Xact fit it is!

Rmac where in NC are you? Was thinking about going by myself as well, about an hour and half ride for me.

6. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    It was me that posted the targets. I fit an EZ fit which is supposed to be the same as Exact fit barrel in an old kimber. My first try. It came with the match bushing that I had to fit to the slide. Easy peasy. You need a TON of patients. I used some harbor freight needle files, and will buy the proper file for the next one.
    I found the EZ fit in the for sale forum for $170.00. Had to try it. The Kimber was bought as a project gun. It had a Wegand frame mounted scope mount and an Ultra dot 30mm. This is why I bought the gun. It shot 8" groups when I took it home. I could fit a .009" feeler gauge between the hood and slide. I could move the bushing in the frame with my hands. I think somebody threw a bunch of parts together and traded it in. The safety had been painted black, and the slide is loose as a goose. Now with the new barrel, when it is in battery, the slide does not move. I know this will not last and the gun is going in for accurails in a while.

I just bought a Kart Gunsmith fit barrel from the Bullseye forum for $125.00 and its supposed to be a really good one. Its going in my Dan Wesson Valor,. I will post results.

My groups are shot hand held with a 2-6x scope installed. I wonder what it would do in a ransom rest.
    David

Mike Meints and rmac like this.
  7. rmac

Jan 26, 2016
    Raleigh, area: your location?

8. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I have fit two Xact fits now, and both went in without any major headaches at all. The install kit helps, but it can be done without it. Mostly the loose fit bushing is helpful.

I use them because the gunsmith I work with says they are the same as gunsmith fit, and he builds bullseye guns so I trust him on accuracy.

9. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I read through the instructions last night and didn't find any 'nuggets' of information that I didn't already know, or isn't common knowledge. Basically how I've been hand fitting 1911 barrels for over 30 years.

10. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I think the only difference is in the fitting tabs in the locking lugs, maybe they are cut a bit "shorter" so they might not work in a super out of spec gun......

wrmiller likes this.
  11. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Same here

12. rmac

Jan 26, 2016
    Going to send you a P.M.

13. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Sounds like one really cant go wrong on these, thanks for all the responses, going to keep my eyes peeled for one at a deal or just break bad and order one up

wrmiller and limbkiller like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted