Ed Brown KC9 Review

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by ZArugby, Mar 27, 2019.

1. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    I will start by saying that I love this gun!

I have had a few almost direct competitors to this pistol in the form of Wilson EDC X9, Wilson EDC 9, Dan Wesson ECO 9mm. As a result it is only natural for me to compare the KC9 with these others, mainly because in general they are targeted at users looking for a pistol that either is a compact(ish) 1911, or a close variant of a compact or officer/commander sized 1911. This gun is functionally a 1911 although it has the external extractor and bull barrel which allow it to stray slightly away from the purist definition. So for this review/report, I will be comparing it to these three guns. I currently do not own a DW Guardian, although I have 2 (9mm & 38 Super)

I bought the gun through Tyler at Cajun Concealed, and it took a while to be made because I asked for a slightly non-standard sight setup. FO up front and all-black U-notch at the rear. I appreciate the ledge/hook rear site for a SD gun. When I received it I was really impressed with the surface e quality of the stainless steel finish. Its really superb, and none of my stainless steel Dan Wessons ever looked like this when new. The only stainless gun I had that approached this one in exterior stainless steel finish quality was my Wilson Combat Tactical Carry in all stainless.

I made it to the range today with 4 different ammo specs: Minuteman Munitions Blue coats in 115 gr and 125 gr, Magtech 115gr FMJ, and Federal HST 147gr.
    In addition to the 2 standard 9 round mags that came with the gun, I brought 6 additional 10-round WC ETM-V mags and another 2 Dan Wesson 10-round mags from my Silverback.

The shooting part of this was pretty uneventful actually. I like that - the gun just ran through 400 rounds as though it was an old Colt. I did add lube before I started, but that was it. I fired everything standing unsupported at 10yards/30feet. I fired several mags worth of double taps, and 2 complete mag dumps, as well as a lot of 2 shots per second volleys. I am not a great disciple of the Bobtail, but in this instance, it sat perfectly steady, and felt like a govt pistol in my hands. this is the first time I have held and fired a gun with snakeskin checkering, and it locks into my hand securely without any irritation even after 400 rounds. Felt recoil was really sift and the sight picture very easy to pick up out pdf the holster.
    The trigger is breaking just at 3.1 pounds on my Lyman, and is very crisp but predictable. I was surprised that the self defense rounds fed so perfectly, but I guess that's how they built this gun.

Comparisons
    At $1,895, I would say this pistol is very reasonably priced. At HALF the price of my EDC9, and $1,000 less than the EDC X9, I really see that value. For me personally, I only feel comfortable with a gun having a grip safety. It what, I have been accustomed to and it just feels right in my hands. The size and shape of the 1911 platform, somehow feels like it was designed for my hands to grasp onto. I never felt that way with my EDC X9, I used to feel the magazine base plate move with every shot and that distracted me. No so with the 1911 style. The only other gun, I feel is a real contender is my ECO. That is a perfect carry gun as well, but only if I don't have to field strip it in an emergency and need to scrounge around for a paperclip and needle nosed pliers in the dark. It also carries one less round, albeit for a small financial benefit of maybe as much as $500. No sense in comparing this seriously to the EDC 9 as that is an officer gun at fully 2x the price, without being in a different league functionally.

I honestly can't say enough good things about it. Every mag I put in fed faultlessly and smoothly.

I have one minor gripe. the mag release button is unusually stiff to press. Not sure why, I stripped it, polished the back little ledge (thanks Jollyroger for the tip) and no difference. Every time I want to drop and mag takes an additional second because I have to re-grip then push before it releases. Odd, but I'll get used to it.

This is my first ever Ed brown product and overall quality wise, this gun delivers everything I have expected from my $3k+ Wilsons, Nighthawks, and my GI. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is - a very, very, well-built fighting handgun of high quality, and it looks kinda pretty too. What's not to like?

The pistol fits perfectly into an old Wilson LP2 holster I have and looks good in it.

This is a keeper!

IMG_1682.jpeg IMG_1680.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    R.R.1911, Dub, LPRoad and 19 others like this.
  2. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Great write up. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great firearm.

3. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Nice shootin’! Congrats on a great Ed Brown!

4. Raul Perez

Raul Perez Member

Mar 25, 2019
    Nice shooting! That mag release issue would drive me nuts though.

5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Great write up but I know you, you'll be flipping it in no time :)

How do the grips feels? That pattern is the prettiest I have ever seen but how do they feel in the hand ?

;)

6. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Damit man, couldn't have waited another month to post that? It's going to make the wait harder for mine to get here!

Jim D

7. ZArugby

Sep 15, 2016
    I like the look of the grips, and the best thing about them is that I didn't feel them or even notice them, but the gun never felt anything but totally secure while shooting.

8. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Who made that sharp looking little holster, looks like an Andrew's? Is that shark skin?
    Thanks,

Jim D

9. slovan

slovan Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Thank you for sharing and comparing based on your own experience. If I could shoot like that, I wouldn’t let it go either!

10. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Awesome! I really see myself getting one of these sometime. I recently picked up a new Special Forces and the mag release was as you described. I filed it and voila! Enjoy that baby.

11. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Awesome write up Thank you.

12. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    About the holster post #8???

Jim D

13. ZArugby

Sep 15, 2016
    Holster is a Wilson Combat LP2 sharkskin. Its made for a 4” 1911.

14. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm really glad to hear your positive report. I took mine to the range as well. Put it against my new VBob and EDC X9. I also really liked the feel, it seemed calmer than the other two. I just hope Brown gets the extraction problem fixed and back to me soon. I plan a follow up review after they get the problem solved.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Dub and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  15. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Collector,
    I guess I missed that thread. I didn't hear or know that you was having problems with yours.
    That's a real bummer.

Jim D

16. ZArugby

Sep 15, 2016
    What extraction problem?

17. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I had several FTEs (extract) on my initial range run.
    IMG_2344 (2).jpg

Dub likes this.
  18. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Very nice pistol , it’s hard to beat Brown in the fit and finish department !
    However , SHARK skin Holster ? You are wearing a dead SHARK ?You savage !
    Your invited for a little swim. :mad:

6A7F3342-E67C-4AE0-8AB9-BCEB4417F764.gif

gps man likes this.
  19. ZArugby

Sep 15, 2016
    Lol! I almost choked From the giggles, Tac. Seriously though, I apologize for being thoughtless on this one... I hope to be more inclusive in my future holster shopping...

Zero1911, gps man and tac45 like this.
  20. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Elephants are nice holsters. :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

gps man and ZArugby like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted