Kensight fully adj rear/Novak fully adj rear Sights~!

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by Integrity Arms, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I just kind of wanted to do a quick review I don't have any pics but I am sure nearly everyone is familiar with a wedge shaped rear sight that has come to be know as a Novak Lomount wedge sight.. Well, if your like me I like to have fully adjustable rear sights on most all my guns, because I target shoot or bullseye shot and I shoot steel targets, I prefer to aim where my POA is equal to my POI.. due to how I align my sights this is not something that can normally be done with a factory tactical fixed sight set up. So unless I am fitting a front sight I will go with an adjustable rear..

I also don't always care for target sight either so I don't mind going to a tactical wedged type sight that is fully adjustable. Up until recently the only ones I was aware of in the lomount cut was a Kensight. And they didn't seem bad.. That is until the last one I got where the rear blade was extremely loose and I just didn't care for the appearance at all. I just got a Novak Lomount fully adjustable rear sight unused from a forum member. I must say it is twice the quality of the kensight in my opinion for less cost even from the retailer.

So I just wanted to do a review for anyone who likes fully adjustable rear sights.. The novaks I got come from Dawson.. And they're phenomenal imo.. Much better quality top to bottom..

This is a kensight blacked out serrated rear:

http://stores.kensight.com/kensight-das-1911-defense-adjustable-rear-sight-with-serrated-blade/

And this is the Novak Blacked our serrated rear:

https://dawsonprecision.com/024-022/

The picture doesn't help the Novak sight from Dawson but believe me it is much better quality for the money..

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    That's a good compromise I hate a large adjustable rear site and usually prefer just the low wedge sites but they are not great for bulls-eye shooting

3. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    The pic for the Novak from Dawson looks stupid don't know why they took one that made it look bulky and blown out of proportion it is actually as close to a fixed wedge sight as you could probably get with a fully adjustable rear.. And the rear blade is up tight to the body of the sight. Just all around a much tighter made and more precision made sight then the Kensight offering. However I have a Kensight fully adj. with night sights on my Guardian. And they aren't horrible but they were a bit different design then the last set I purchased from them.

FWoo45 and wcanterbury like this.
  4. woodlands747

woodlands747 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Steve, I agree on the need for adjustable rear sights vs fixed.
    But I believe that the Dawson adjustable rear sights for the Novak cut come from (are made by) Kensight. They private label for a lot of builders as well as Dawson.

Here is the Novak offering; https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9412

5. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Not sure of that I just know the Novak come in different package, cheaper price by nearly $20, and the Novak seems much better made. Everything is tighter on this sight. I know they look rather similar but I believe that the Novak that I got is actually marked Novak which is a trade name I know there's a lot of stink raised on Novak's website about their original sights and knock off sites that use the same name. Hopefully the rest that I get from here on out or that quality cuz like I said the first set the kensight that I got seems pretty decent but then the last set that I just bought was really sloppy and maybe I should have just sent it back. The blade was loose screws were choppy when you're turned on but it did seem quite a bit different than the first kensight that I bought even in the movement up and down as the first one required it to go past a certain point in order to lock in and I would raise back up a little bit this particular site when you took it down automatically just dropped to the next lower spot if that makes sense in other words the first one had to over shoot the Notch and come back into it so the only way you can get that to the lowest possible level was to take it out of the gun drop it all the way down and put the sight back in. I am talking and texting this so hopefully it don't come out stupid LOL

6. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I have something very close to the Kensight for my .38 Super Officer model when I get around to sending it off.....Ordered it from Caspian with the rest of the parts.

Karsten

7. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Personally I hate adjustable sights. They are ugly as hell on a 1911 but understand if ya shoot competition of any kind they are needed. I don't shoot comp. of any kind so I will not have those gross, ugly things on any 1911 I own. :)

Steve Owens likes this.
  8. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    The Novak lomount sight is just like a regular wedged fixed Novak just adjustable. On a factory gun even I like to shhot poa=poi when most fixed sight set ups are done for a combat sight picture. Okay if your sizing new sights, I'd rather do fixed then as well, I don't care for the actual long target sights. These are the ones were talking about Ed... Just like the fixed wedge sights, not the long ones. 1209181708a.jpg 1209181708.jpg 1209181707a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  9. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Yep, that is the same rear sight as I have other than if you get to 40X light and glasses out you can make out Kensight ....Sold as Tactical Adjustable sight by Caspain and same profile as most everything esle I have.

Karsten

Steve Owens likes this.
  10. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
  11. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I know its the same profile I'll check for Kensight on there, but this one has 2 screws for windage adj. One in each side, and the top screw is set different then the 2 I bought from Kensight I don't doubt they can be by the same maker, but I believe they might be made to Dawson's specs. There is a definite noticeable difference in the mechanical operation as well. I just put the last Kensight bought by a customer on one of the Valor's, it functioned different from the first one I bought from them that had night sights installed. This one is much better made than the other two. It is highly possible that they are being made for Dawson under there specs and request. And they are also cheaper at Dawson then at Kensight. I was under the impression for a long time that Kensight was the only one who manufacturers this sight style as the first time I come across them was in a Sig TTT. Do you have a physical sight currently both from Kensight and Dawson?

12. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    I couldn't get my TRP to hit anywhere close to where I was pointing it so I sent the slide off to the Shop of Wayne Novak for their adjustable rear sight and later on dropped in to see them and get their awesome big green fiber optic for the front. I think I prefer the actual Novak sight to the ones made by others to fit the Novak cut. The plus is that when I drop in, I get to see Wayne and the guys (& the dog) and visit for awhile.

Steve Owens likes this.
  13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Cuts are slightly different, and most if the industry that uses the Novak cut now actually use what they call the lomount cut. I'm sure the actual Novak brand is a much better sight. But, with the cut being different then what many are using as a standard now, makes it a bit harder to use them unless your cutting in for new sights. I too have had the Novak on a couple older guns not adjustable but the quality and finish did seem all around better imo.

Joni Lynn likes this.
  14. cdhbrad

cdhbrad Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2011
    I bought a DW Valor Blued 9mm earlier this year and decided to put an adjustable sight on it when I was having other work done. I looked at both Kensight and Dawson websites and went with the Dawson because it was about $20 cheaper than the Kensight and I could get the black front sight I wanted from Dawson as well. I don't know who makes Dawson's rear sights.....my guess is Kensight, but its hard to explain how or why Dawson would price them so much cheaper if sourcing from Kensight. The Dawson works great and is well finished.
    I have Kensight adjustable sights, both in the Bomar and LPA/TRT styles on a number of my pistols, both 1911s and CZ, and all are very well made. I also suspect that Kensight was the manufacturer of the Bomar style adjustable sights that came on my Les Baer and a couple of DWs.

Steve Owens likes this.
  15. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I probably just got a bad sight the last time from Kensight, Customer ordered it and had it sent to me. My first experience with them wasn't bad. There are a few design differences I noticed on the Dawson sight as opposed to the actual kensight offering. I was unaware that both were probably made by Kensight. TBH the first set I got for my Guardian were excellent, but last set not so much.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted