close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

KG Products Leather-Kote review

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Kokopelli, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    OK.. How many quality holsters do you have that retain so well that you can't effectively draw the pistol??? I have several that I've been trying to break in for a year or two and no matter what I try they're almost impossible to draw from. I've now accepted that if the holster doesn't break-in in a week or so and/or after wrapping the pistol in plastic, wax paper etc.. it's just not going to do it on its own.. To that end, I've researched products that might aid with the useability of the holster. The most likely candidate is of course a PTFE product in some sort of transport agent. Mitch Rosen offers a product called Leather Lightning for $12 + $2 S&H. They don't list the size of the bottle however I've been advised it's about 1/2oz. I was also advised that the KG product seems to be the same product with 2ozcosting $12.95 + $5.95 S&H from Brownell's. Others indicated that it wouldn't take much to treat a holster, so i opted for the 2oz KG Products Leather-Kote.

After arrival I discover the container to be about half full as the marketers seem to prefer, but otherwise it appears to be a very fine PTFE in suspension. I've mixed and used gallons of this stuff while working in materials (polymer) engineering and it appears to be the real thing

For my first test I choose my Milt Sparks Axiom, a wonderfully built holster but near impossible to withdraw the holster. Having been advised to use the product judiciously, I wet one fingertip and massaged it into the critical areas of the holster (i.e. trigger guard and muzzle). After allowing the product to dry overnight, the next mornings testing with my Baer Stinger showed some improvement, however the holster was still far from useable. Next I coated to fingers and rubbed it into the entire inside of the holster. Taking care to wet ever part of the surface and rub in well.. The next day I tried the holster and it was in fact withing the window us useability.

Feeling more confident of the product and less concerned about overdoing it, I treated all my problematic holsters and they're now in the drying stage. I'll let everybody what happens next.. Cheers.. Ron

PS.. The only leather products I didn't treat were the Tucker Gunleather holsters and mag carriers.. They don't heed it..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks for the info.

3. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    I wonder if this would help break in a new softball glove quicker? Hmmm....

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I don't think so.. It just coats the leather with Teflon. It might be like that time I armoral-led my motorcycle seat.. LOL.. Ron

5. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    Oh, so it allows you to draw from the holster easier by slicking the leather, not by softening it. Thanks for the info!

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Yes... It doesn't penetrate much at all and supposedly will not soften the leather.. Ron

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    OK... A quick test of the holsters indicates the problem has been solved. They feel very nice now, even Babs.. Babs is rather plush and curvy.. Challenging for a holster.. Ron

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    This weekend I'll do a little better job of checking the release and retention of the holsters I treated and will post results. One thing of note.. I used about six applications I guess and the jar looks to have just as much left as when I started. I'd say there's easily 48 treatments from 2oz.. Ron

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Carried the Alessi CQC/s with the SA 9mm today and went to the range. It's releasing great now.. No more Urkel pants.. I'll carry the Sparks Axiom with the Babs (LB Stinger) tomorrow.. That'll be the real test.. Ron

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Well the Sparks didn't slick up like the others, so I gave it another coat. After drying out it is noticeably better, but still a little tight. I'll not do another coat just yet and will wear it in a little more. One thing.. be careful about getting this stuff near the belt loops/snaps. I unsnapped the Axiom and it hit the floor faster that you can say "my pistol" :eek: .. Ron

11. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Nice thread Kokopelli. Thank you.

12. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Looks like ill be buying some of this.. thanks for the write up.

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    It's worth the price.. I wondered about it, but $150+ holsters that I couldn't draw from was getting old.. I still can't tell I've used any from looking at the jar.. Unless I spill it, which is probable, I'll never need to buy another jar... Ron

14. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Ron, thanks for the write-up! I just asked about products to use for good holster the other day here, so this is good info for me. Two questions, do they say to apply with your fingers or are you improvising? I do use my fingertip with Renaissance Wax application on my pistols so it does work great. And the last sentence you're saying "it was in fact within the window of useability?" I'm guessing here, and certainly not making jest. I'm just trying to read and absorb...again, thanks for the info!

15. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    It does apply best with the fingers.. I was referring to the tenacious grip the sparks Axiom maintains on the pistol.. It's now "in the window of useability" in that I can actually draw the pistol without wearing a cup.. Ron

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted