Killing Power.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by limbkiller, Jan 6, 2012.

1. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Ok how many of you have actually killed something out there in the real world? I'm talking anything from mice, birds to bears, elk, deer or even a human. I'm new to the internet world and have read and seen a ton of posts on the subject. Most are wrong or flawed. The squierrel killed by a .45 was the straw that broke the proverbial straw. I loved it a .45 was used and a good shot was made for sure so it has nothing to do with him. This is not bragging on my part as I should have way more trophys on the wall than I do, but I have killed at least 175 deer sized animals or more. I have guided or been around at least twice that many. I guess what I'm saying is the .45 is ok as a defense weapon because I can't carry a.220 swift. That rodent would have been blown into little peices if it had been hit with .220. 22-250, or a .204. Most of the deer I have shot 65% or so ran 30-100 yds. after a killing shot was delivered. The .45 has proven itself in combat I know and is what I pack. 1,000 lbs of energy is considered the minimum that should be used to kill a deer at any range and the .45 isn't even close to that at the muzzle. I sure don't want to be shot with a .45 or the lowly .22 for that matter. I just wonder what you guys think a .45 is gonna do. Most likely kill ya I know but I have seen some weird things and some animals that were shot multiple times with guns way more powerful than a .45 before they expired. Hydostatic shock is something I believe in big time and is why I pack a .270 with 130 gr. soft points. The .45 has limited shock compared to that. I have lots of bullets including a .45 dug out of animals. All pistol rds are marginal defense rds as far as my personal experience has shown. But then ANY GUN GOOD SHOOT"EM GOOD.

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Rabbits, squirrels, deer, antelope, elk, black bear,

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    You have expereriance in what a caliber will do, most don't. I haven't killed an antelope.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I had a Browning A-Bolt Synthetic Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag.
    Used it for deer, antelope, black bear and one ground squirrel in Montana in the mid nineties.

I parted ways with it a few years back,......prefer .308 Winchester now, .30'06 a close second

P.S.
    Then there is the 6.8 SPC,.........:biggrin1:

5. c.helm

c.helm Active Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I've shot 5 deer with a lever action 44 mag and they all were DRT (dead right there) the range was 20 to 25 yards. I shot a nice 175 lb buck with my 45/70 at 50 yards, I hit it frontal shot to the chest. Knocked the buck about 10 straigh back on it butt. It then jumped up and stumbled 10 yards into the woods.
    I think a 45 is plenty good for squirrel!

:D

6. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I've harvested (I prefer the word harvested as I eat what I shoot, I am no trophy hunter) squirrels, rabbits, deer and this last year for the first time, a turkey! I too generally have the deer run a ways, maybe 100 yards at most even when shot with my .308 or .270. I hardly ever get DRT unless i get a perfect heart shot in. I would never think of shooting an animal with a .45 acp. Not nearly enough power because it has no real velocity, it has diameter and bullet weight, just no oomph to it. I started bow hunting recently, though I have yet to get a deer harvested with it. It seems a little wrong to shoot the animal and let it run off and bleed to death, but at the same time, I get a certain closeness to the animal when I bowhunt them, I guess you just have to experience it because I can't explain it very well. When it comes to hunting with a handgun, I use a 41 magnum on the low end, packing about 700 ft lbs at the muzzle and I limit my shots to 25 yards.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted