Kimber Custom Shop Custom Eclipse II

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by 5 Screw Smith, Feb 5, 2012.

1. 5 Screw Smith

5 Screw Smith Μολὼν λαβέ

Dec 11, 2011
    I posted this thread on several other Websites that focus specifically on the 1911 and have not received any pertinent information so I thought I would throw it out here as well.

I just sent payment for a used Kimber Custom Eclipse II made in the Kimber custom shop. It has custom Eclipse II on the slide but has Meprolight target night sights. It also has "Custom KIMBER Shop" written on the other side of the slide as shown in the pic below. I know they didn't make these very long in the custom shop and are now regular production guns, i.e. no custom shop markings on the slide. Is there anything significantly different or special about this model since it was manufactured in the custom shop, e. g. more hand fitting of the frame to slide, etc? Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

I thought it should be a Custom Eclipse Target II but this is the other side of the slide.

[​IMG]

Current production Eclipses do not have custom shop written on the slide. They are now, and have been for some time, regular production guns.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your response.

2. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    As far as I know, Kimber doesn't really have a "custom" shop. They just use it as a marketing tool. The guns marked custom don't receive anymore special attention than the others. They all are assembled on the same production line.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

3. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    The Eclipse marked as Custom Shop with the ambi safety was a limited production gun from Kimber in 2001. The next year they got rid of the ambi and made it a regular production gun.

It isn't rare for Kimber to start a model as a Custom Shop gun and then turn it into a regular production model. The Custom Shop guns are assembled in the Custom Shop, not by the assembly line workers. Other than that, until you get to the Gold Combat or Super Match which have hand fit barrels, all parts are the same.

Here is what it used to say on Kimber's Special Edition webpage (which no longer exists.)

CUSTOM ECLIPSE II (2001): 4522 produced. Stainless slide and frame, 5” barrel, black oxide finish brush polished on the flats, 30 LPI front strap checkering, ambidextrous safety, adjustable night sights, laminated gray grips. Serial sequence begins with KEL. 38 oz. MSR: $1121

4. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I'm under the same impression as SN. I had an eclipse in 10mm while I was still in the caliber. It is my favorite model Kimber.

5. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Very nice pistol!

I think Kimber uses the words "custom shop" to identify something a bit different than what those words conjure up in the minds of many seasoned 1911 fans.

6. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Their Custom Shop does do mods to guns. They used to have the list of services on the website. They do checkering, sights, barrel fitting, Ed Brown GS, refinishing and stuff like that. They do not do complete guns made to order like SA does.

7. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I'm a huge Kimber fan, but I have to say, that Kimber does not have a true "custom shop".

8. Talo1911

Talo1911 New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    kimber_stainless_ultra_raptor_18.jpg

That's fine either way. My Stainless Raptor is "custom" to me ..... and shoots great :pop2:

9. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    This is exactly what I have heard over the years.
    A clever marketing gimmick.But the Eclipse is still a pretty gun.Let us know how she runs after a couple of thousand rounds.

The proof is in the pudding.!:grin:

DAT85

10. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    Little sis :smile:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  11. 5 Screw Smith

5 Screw Smith Μολὼν λαβέ

Dec 11, 2011
    Sweet!

Just picked up the Eclipse yesterday. It has a very nice trigger; lighter than what's on the current production pistols. Can't wait to shoot it.

12. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    Congrats!
    A range report due! :smile:

13. Bone collector

Bone collector New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    I know this is a old thread but I just got off the phone with Kimber and there are a few discrepancies. Actually these were produced in first produced and sold in 2002 not 2001. And there were more than 4522 made. The exact number is not known but she said approximately 5000. She pulled the custom shop records and it is correct that this model came with the ambidextrous saftey but it was dropped the following year. Also it could have came with the two hole trigger or a 3 hole and some came with a factory one piece magwell. Unfortunately they did not keep records of what additional add ons were installed so if you find one you just have to take the buyers word for it.

14. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I also think Kimber does not have a Custom Shop in the sense of Colt or SA or the S&W Performance Center. I do have one of their pistols and it is quite nice. Back in 2005 it was overpriced but most Kimbers are overpriced for what you get.

[​IMG]

15. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards New Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I have 5 kimbers, 3 Eclispe in all 3 barrel sizes. All shoot very well, and have never had a problem with any. I carry the 3" inch eclipse for CC. Great guns!

16. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I think the Eclipse is the prettiest gun they make. I had them refinish the slide for me and it was only $70, including freight.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted