Kimber Kimber gets a bad rap!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Addicted2gunz, Dec 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
    I'd never had a Kimber. Been tempted, but you read so much bad about them so I never got one. A couple weeks ago I got a Kimber Eclipse Custom 10mm and love it. Next I bought an Aegis 45acp from @PewPewPtwang and it shoots great!!

I agree out of the box they're not comparable to a Dan Wesson or up, but I think they're a great value for what you can pick up used ones for.

I'm NOT trying to start a brand war, just stating my experience! LOL

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    1L26, removed, Old Sea Dragon and 3 others like this.
  2. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I believe there is a place for ALL 1911's.... For those who don't and want to totally dismiss any of the different makers based on their opinion.... well, I've already tuned out their words..... kind of like hearing Blah, blah, blah....

UBOATDOC, tac45, Fred_G and 3 others like this.

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I own a couple . . . . . .

A .38 Superb and 10mm . . . . . like them both. Twins Kimber-001.JPG

Twins Kimber-004.JPG

Old Sea Dragon, cliff58, 1L26 and 7 others like this.
  4. krunchnik

krunchnik THE CROW Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2012
  5. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Okay, Zoid......I have to ask where this ".38 Superb" is coming from.....As for Kimber I just have nothing to say.

Karsten

6. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    A couple... Lol

7. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I bought this one for the modern day controversies that are rumored around it. kimber SIS.jpg

cliff58, 1L26, Jollyroger1 and 4 others like this.
  8. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    My shooting buddy has a Kimber in 10mm. I would not kick it out of the gun safe. Beyond that, I have very little experience with them.

Karsten, .38 Superb is what all the cool kids have these days. :)

Not sure who came up with it, but it stuck.

dstallguy and Addicted2gunz like this.
  9. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    @Dwe is who I first heard it from, not sure if he invented the word or not?

Dub, UBOATDOC, TheCollector and 2 others like this.
  10. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Well, 9mm Magnum just is not Superb. :)

I honestly don't know where I saw it first.

11. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    :)

UBOATDOC, Capthobo and TheCollector like this.
  12. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    I have had a few and they have been good shooters. I just can’t stand for some of their choices in parts. I get that composite parts are lighter, but a 1911 should NOT have a plastic anything!

Also, I have become a 70 series snob, and I dont think they make anything in their line in 70.

That said, Two of the most accurate 1911’s I have owned have been bull barreled Kimbers. Their Pro series are dead straight shooters and that bull barrel makes them easy shooters.

I never had any issues while I had them. I just love my DW’s more....

Dub, Austin_TX and ZoidMeister like this.
  13. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    I won't argue against DW any day, but for the record both of my Kimbers are 70 series

14. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    Are they older. I may be mistaken about them not making 70’s any longer.

15. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    Nope, the Kimber Eclipse Custom 10mm is new design for 2018, they went back to the 70 series design.

My Aegis could have been modified by @PewPewPtwang but not that I'm aware of. I'm not sure of the age of that one either? Maybe he could answer that for me :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  16. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Gun was not modified by me.

Kimber has been offering series 70 in their higher end models for a while now.

Steve Owens and Addicted2gunz like this.
  17. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    Good to know, thanks!

18. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The first Kimber I owned was a Target Elite II I bought new in 2002. It had a lovely trigger. I usually don't even measure where a trigger breaks till after a couple hundred rounds have been through the pistol but with this one I took it home and it broke at 3lb 4oz which was O.K. for a range toy. I later bought a Kimber 22 conversion unit for it. Anyway after a couple thousand rounds of 45 I was shooting it with a number of other hand guns and it doubled on me. I took it home and now found the trigger broke at 2lb 3oz. I could have fixed it but instead used the bottom on 22 conversion units; not only the Kimber but also a Marvel unit and a Ceiner unit.

[​IMG]

I finally sold that 2002 in 2013 to a fellow shooter. The next Kimber I bought was in 2005. It is a Grand Raptor. Very pretty pistol and it has the Kimber external extractor. It was also quite pricey for the time at $1.2K. A couple years ago the plastic MSH cracked and I replaced it with a steel MSH from Wilson Combat that looks about the same as the plastic Kimber one and did take some fitting to get it in the Kimber.

[​IMG]

I keep the Grand Raptor in my shooty collection as my last and only example of the Kimber mechanical firing pin safety based off the old Colt Swartz safety, and my only example of the external Kimber extractor.

The only other Kimber I have I bought used from a fellow shooter. I got to field strip it and put a couple hundred rounds through it before we came to a price of $800. It is a Stainless Gold Match and is pre Series II. Kimber says it was made in 2001. My friend was not the first or even second owner of the pistol although it still had the original box with the papers, etc. I know a lot of the parts are not original. Not sure any of the fire control parts are original. It has a righty only thumb safety with a great action. The front sight is not original as is the MSH/magwell. The frame and slide at least are. The fit and finish are nice.

[​IMG]

I might think about buying another Kimber but I would not touch a Series II. I wish Kimber would dump the mechanical firing pin safety in a lot more of their models. Also the plastic MSH cracking in the 2005 Grand Raptor was interesting. I have non metallic Nylon composite ones on Colts dating from 1988 and have never had any problems with them. Also, for folks who have bought a new one recently, does Kimber still give you just one magazine with a new pistol?

Addicted2gunz and limbkiller like this.
  19. Addicted2gunz

Jul 14, 2018
    Yes sir, only 1 mag came with my Eclipse Custom II

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  20. Sapper

Sapper Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 25, 2014
    I bought a Custom Classic in 98 and then a Custom Target in 99 and they are both still with me and fantastic guns. However now there are much better options for around the same money.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted