Kimber LAPD SWAT Custom II

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by BrewTuna, Aug 8, 2020.

1. BrewTuna

BrewTuna New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    WhoIsJohnGalt? and retrieverman like this.
  2. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Arcadia PD is shipping 100 Kimbers back to Kimber for soft frames

Adam13 likes this.

3. Justin_Pelletier

Justin_Pelletier Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 27, 2016
    3500 for a kimber though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JM44, HooDoo Man, Zero1911 and 2 others like this.
  4. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I’m not a collector, but I guess if you’re into that kind of gun there’s a cool factor. I can think of so many other/better 1911’s to spend $3500 on. Heck, I’ve even wanted a railed 1911 for a long time, but I’ve passed on railed Springfield Pro’s, Nighthawks and Wilsons for less than that Kimber.

5. RMF308

RMF308 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2019
    They were originally only issued to the 60 members of D-Platoon (LAPD SWAT). In addition D Platoon members could buy an additional personal pistol if they choose to do so.

A bit of history about the 1911 and LAPD SWAT; D platoon originally had a mixed bag of rattle trap 1911’s cobbled together from old surplus frames and confiscated 1911s. The Metro division armorers had a tough time keeping all of them running especially for the thousands and thousands of rds that went through them during training each month. In addition, each D platoon member (60 of them) had multiple 1911 guns, one for call outs (usually with a mounted light), one for uniform duty, and sometimes one for for concealed carry. I was working on a project with them in the late 90’s at the time and saw a very mixed bag of parts and frames on their guns. Funny side story is when the Kimbers first showed up, in training all of the guns were shooting high and the team was complaining to Kimber, the Kimber rep had the gall to tell SWAT that they didn’t know how to shoot 1911’s...that didn’t go over well; all the guns were returned to Kimber to have new front sights put on them. Yeah... D team knows how to shoot 1911’s and had been successfully using them long before Kimber existed. Once LAPD SWAT (D Platoon) started carrying the Kimbers, other teams within Metro Division we’re allowed to carry the Kimbers as well. Not sure when SIS detectives got them, but might have been all wrapped up in the same Kimber deal with SWAT.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    villdetwink, JM44, ronin11 and 2 others like this.
  6. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020

I’m with you. No way I’d pay that for a Kimber and I’ve owned a pile of them but never ever for that.

HooDoo Man and Mainspring like this.
  7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Several units in LAPD are allowed to use 1911s now. Had this discussion with an LAPD buddy last year.

8. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    It is apparent that most of you missed the fact that this is on sale, $50 off!!

villdetwink likes this.
  9. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    For me ... if I had the money to burn and wanted it from a historical perspective -- I would snatch it up in a heartbeat. If I wanted a 1911 for carry, I could think of better ways to spend $3500.

Uncle Bob likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted