Kimber Pro Carry II ejection issues....

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Bigboreshooter, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Bigboreshooter

Bigboreshooter New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    My daughter recently got a Kimber Pro Carry II in 45 ACP. We got out to the range with it for the first time on Saturday.

The pistol ran fine, but at least once or twice with each mag the ejected cases would hit the shooter in the forehead.

We had several 1911's at the range that day including a 4" SIS. None of the other guns exhibited this problem. We also had three different shooters, one of whom is very experienced with 1911's, and all three of us were hit in the head with brass.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Check a few places.

Loose ejector.
    Correct ejector profile.
    Loose FPS that could cause extractor to clock in the slide.
    Extractor tension.

3. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    In my experience it is almost always either a loose hold of a gun or otherwise weak extractor tension.

4. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I've had far more luck adjusting the angle of ejection with the extractor rather than the ejector. The extractor shape is almost as important as tension. I round the bottom of the hook so it releases a bit easier. Take off too much and it won't grab a rim so go slow.

5. MasterCylinder

MasterCylinder New Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I own and have had no issues with my Kimber UCII. What weight of ammo are you having the issue with, certain weight, type etc..., need more information. Are the shooters holding the gun firmly enough, no limp wristing esp with a short barrel. These guns, at least mine does, uses an extended ejector pin and can be tuned quite readily if need be. The ejection port is opened up nicely and Ive never had a shell hit it yet to date, good clearance. Look for any clearance issues, you should be able to see brass and or copper if things are hitting, at least eventually you will if you shoot it enough! Hope this helps!

6. Brady1

Brady1 New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I own a kimber pro cdp 11 .45 . Only 300 rnds through it. The brass is ejecting back into my face. Any suggestions on what I should do? I understand Kimber is very poor on customer service. Kinda irritates me that a $1,200- gun is having these stupid issues. First the factory mag was bad, now this. You dont even have these issues with cheap $200- hand guns.

7. Brady1

Brady1 New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I just bought a Kimber pro custom CDP 11 .45 . Having the very same issue. Once or twice for each mag. Kimber has it now. Who knows how it is going to turn out.

8. danpa

danpa New Member

Feb 26, 2017
    I've goes a Pro-II carry in 45 ACP and I have same ejection problem from the beginning and now hundreds of rounds later it still flings an eject case straight back into my face. Testing the tension on the extractor shows it is correct. Any other ideas on a fix. I agree with Brady1, for the price you pay for Kimber you shouldn't have to dodge random ejected cases. I think Kimber needs to step up fix this issue for all

9. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    danpa:

Older thread but a continual source of consternation for some. I had a Kimber 4" with a fairly consistent ejection pattern when new. It began to get erratic fairly quickly. My extractor had started to clock. FTF was in my future at some point. There is nothing to say a clocking extractor is impossible to experience as a new pistol leaves the box.

Kimber uses a series 80 firing pin stop. Why they do that is only known to Kimber. When an extractor clocks, the extractor claw presents the spent case to the ejector in an inconsistent manner. In addition, the clocking extractor will keep grinding away at the firing pin stop and things will go from bad to worse.

Try to manipulate your installed extractor by using a nail on one of your digits or a non-marring tool by the application of force to the rear end of the extractor at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock on the flat edge. If you have movement, the extractor is clocking. The firing pin stop is failing to keep the extractor in a static position.

The remedy is having an EGW oversize series 70 firing pin stop fit to the extractor. Cured my erratic ejection.

GoetzTalon likes this.
  10. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    IMG_0791.JPG I shopped around and found a picture. The first time I heard the term I did not understand until I saw a picture. In this particular picture, the extractor has rotated counter clockwise.

This picture also illustrates where to apply force to test. In this case, application of force to the top of the counter clockwise clocked corner will reveal clockwise rotation.

rod442 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted