Kimber Question

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by crcornish, Mar 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. crcornish

crcornish Active Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Good morning Addicts!

What is the general consesus on Kimber?
    I have fired 2 of their pistols, and I was quite underwhelmed.
    Here in Western NY, they are relatively well regarded, even lauded I dare say.
    What is the deal?

Thanks got any input and opinions!

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Opinions vary, I've owned two and both were good guns, one was very good.

xerts1191, Babboonbobo and crcornish like this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
  4. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    I'm a big fan of the early Kimbers. When they went to the Series-II I tried one. No likey. Then came the external extractor fiasco and I never looked back.

5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Great guns at around $750 to $800.

Unfortunately new off the shelf they typically cost 50% above that price. Most need extractor work or replacement to get them to run properly.

The only Kimber I have seen hold close to it's street price are the 10mm Eclipse Custom's. YMMV

6. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I've had 2 of them ....

1. a Gold Combat Stainless II that was a pretty good gun -- but now that model is around $2,000 and I don't think its worth that kind of money compared to a Wilson at around $3,000 that is a significantly better gun. I gave it to my older son ...he likes it.

2. Tactical Pro II model...alloy frame, 4", in 9mm....decent gun / I had a local gunsmith throw all of the trigger group parts out ( trigger on it really sucked )...and replace with Wilson parts ...and now its much better...but again not worth the money. I have kept it to train the grandkids with...its ok.

In general ...I think there are better options out there...for the money.

7. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Agree with Az Husker. I've still got a BLUED, pre series2, all steel compact that is a wonderful pistol. I've always thought the TLE were a good buy, everything else not so much.
    They're popular in your area likely due to local manufacture. And they're hated by internet driven urban legend. They are an ok production pistol, nothing more or less.

8. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    The two I have are oddballs. A .38 Super bull barrel commander and a 10mm full-size.

Twins Kimber-001.JPG

9. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    Arched MSH Zoid...monster hands? You can sell the original plastic ones for a fortune. :)

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    I bought a Pro Carry II, and underwelmed is a good way to put it. I know it is on the low end of their product line, but too many little issues. The trigger felt pretty gritty, until I polished things up a bit. As i knew it took 100 rounds before it fed well. Since then i've not had any feed or eject failures. Next thing was the magazine. The last round drove the follower into the frame below the feed ramp, putting dings into the aluminum. New WC springs and followers solved that issue. The last thing, is why would they put a plastic mainspring housing on an otherwise beautiful pistol? A new chainlink housing and I good to go. IMG_20190307_170254.jpg

simonp and ORShooter like this.
  11. Just Terry

Just Terry Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Lots of people on the internet comment on guns they have no personal experience with. I think Kimbers are a prime example. I have owned and fired a dozen or so. I have never had a jam or malfunction past the 50 round mark in any of my Kimbers.I have seen new Kimbers that were bone dry from the factory. Perhaps this is a leading cause of problems.They are a great gun,IMHO.

xerts1191 likes this.
  12. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I have a Custom II full size 45acp and it’s been a fine firearm, no issues and it runs great. I will not buy another but won’t sell this one either. What ever that’s worth to you.
    6A7F3008-C3D9-4F45-9E5B-AE7EB7F4A4C1.jpeg
    I will add that here in NW Ohio when you stop in a gun store the Kimbers are usually regarded as their high end 1911s the reason I went for it as my first one.
    I’ve since discovered, WC, NH, LB, GI, and yes DW to and that is the reason I won’t buy another. Unless it’s a smokin deal;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    UBOATDOC, crcornish, Slapshot and 2 others like this.
  13. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    If I'm going to "In & Out".. I take my Kimbers
    If I'm going to a "Texas BBQ".. I take my Nighthawks

IMG_2314 (2).jpg

14. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    My daughter bought a new Two Tone full size 9mm. Crummy trigger, but functioned well. 25 yard accuracy terrible. 147 grain bullets stick in the chamber. The only way to get it un stuck is fire the gun. She does not shoot 147.

I bought a used Micro carry 380 for my wife. She liked the laser grips. I do too. Lots of malfunctions. Fail to battery, Fail to eject and occasional brass in the face. Got the guide rod and spring upgrade. After many hundreds of rounds, its fine. Only shoots ball. It will not feed any thing else. She carries it daily.

I bought a new micro 9 because it was the only 9mm with laser grips.
    Shooting the gun new, the trigger was over 9 lbs. The gun shook in my hands before it went bang because I was pulling so hard on the trigger. I took it apart and messed with the trigger. Found crooked sear not lining up with the hammer. Did what I could to get it to shoot. It shot to the left with 115 ammo. I drifted the sight left. Now 124 and 147 shoot right. Upon inspection, the rifling didn't quite make to the end of the barrel on one side. 7 shot magazines popped out ocasionally.

I sent it back. They called said if I sent them $150.00 they would fix the fire control system I screwed up. Yes, its my fault, I should not have worked on it.

The gun was returned. I bought a sear for a Sig P 938. It fit perfect and I have a 5 lb safe trigger. I chucked the barrel in my lathe and back bored it just a little. Re crown and it shoots great. Rear sight is back in the middle, it shoots all weights to POA. Feeds anything.

I love the gun and can hit excellent with it. I carry it a lot with a 6 shot magazine.

Draw your own conclusion.

David

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xerts1191 likes this.
  15. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    Top left & lower left .45ACP.... I shoot Fed. 230 gr. FMJ = no issues
    Top right 9mm. I shot a box of Wolf Sh*t and had 2 FTF... switched to CCI Blazer Brass= no issues
    Lower right .45ACP.... doesn't get shot.

16. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Okay Addicts!

I had to dig really deep into the archives to find this one. If anything, I owe Kimber a huge debt of gratitude, because without first owning a problematic Kimber, which fueled the desire in me to begin understanding our beloved 1911's at a deeper level, I wouldn't have the level of skills and competency I now have, and Phineas C. Zoid would never have come into being. Curses, I know.

Here is an early thread that started it all. Enjoy and learn from some of the great minds that haunt this forum.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads...ly-is-there-a-1911-doctor-in-the-house.22950/

Screenshot_20190309-191120.png

jfbong1911 likes this.
  17. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

Is that an offer? Hell, I'll give them away if I still have them.

Z

18. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2016
    My first 1911 was/is a Kimber Tactical Custom II from around 2012-2013 and it was built really well. Great trigger out of the box, and much better than expected fitment on the components.

I replaced all the MIM parts with bulletproof stuff from WC, but to be honest, the 3-4000+ round MIM parts all looked perfect and it was a labor of love.
    Looking at other Kimbers in various gun stores recently, I wonder what the hell happened to their QC. The parts were all sloppy fit and the triggers were terrible.

simonp likes this.
  19. doug570

doug570 Member

Apr 14, 2016
    I see a lot Kimber haters in this thread and many others but I have to say my Ultra Crimson Carry is an outstanding gun. It is extremely accurate and fun to shoot. I have had no jamming problems with any type ammo. I have used old (excess of 30 years) ball, hollow points, fancy self defense stuff with no jams or problems. All of which has been 230 grain. IMHO it is an excellent made CCW gun at just 25 ounces. It is my normal choice for CCW. I shoot IDPA with a few guys that use various models of Kimber's and they love them. The major draw back of Kimber is that they are made in Yonkers NY so ultimately a portion of the money spent feeds NYC politicians.

20. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    Yes that's true... but take solace in the fact that most of those same politicians hate guns.... so you are getting your moneys worth!!!

JM44 and jfbong1911 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted