1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought two of them to run in my 1911 Para after I bought and installed a Nighthawk one piece mainspring housing and magwell adapter.
My factory Para mags have the ugly plastic flared baseplate, but these Kimbers have GI profile welded stainless floorplates.

What kind of quality are they, and I apologize if there is a thread for this topic. My search skills suck almost as bad a my cooking.

Thanks for any info. This website is a godsend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,781 Posts
I was a Kimber "fan boy" in a previous life and I loved Kimber magazines and never had any issues with them :)

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Have never had a problem with them, some are at least ten yrs. old and untold numbers of rounds stuffed in them, I sold the Kimber (wish I hadn’t) but kept the mags.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Nowadays, Kimber mags are made by checkmate. In fact, if you want to save some money, you can just buy the checkmate mags. They're identical, except for the omission of the Kimber logo.

In regards to reliability, I've had great success with them. They're not as maintainable as, say, a WC 47D, which can be disassembled for cleaning and spring replacement. But, you're not paying as much for them either.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Nowadays, Kimber mags are made by checkmate. In fact, if you want to save some money, you can just buy the checkmate mags. They're identical, except for the omission of the Kimber logo.

In regards to reliability, I've had great success with them. They're not as maintainable as, say, a WC 47D, which can be disassembled for cleaning and spring replacement. But, you're not paying as much for them either.
I take my Kimber mags. apart to clean & spring all the time.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I take my Kimber mags. apart to clean & spring all the time.
Ah yes, there are a couple of different "Kimber" mags. The KimPro Tac-Mag has a removable floor plate. I forgot about those. I was thinking of regular/standard Kimber mags, which have a welded base plate.

Reactions: Mikey421

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Some pics of Kimber and CheckMate mags shown side by side. The Kimber branded mag is blued and CheckMate is stainless in this example. But, both are available in blue and stainless.

20181204_083853.jpg
20181204_083948.jpg
20181204_084004.jpg
20181204_084019.jpg
20181204_084034.jpg

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Ah yes, there are a couple of different "Kimber" mags. The KimPro Tac-Mag has a removable base plate. I forgot about those. I was thinking of regular/standard Kimber mags, which have a welded base plate.
Welded base plate is not a problem... see vid.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Welded base plate is not a problem... see vid.
Cool.

It's hard to tell from the vid, but that looks like the old style follower? The new followers have are non-tilting. Maybe that technique will still work though...

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah yes, there are a couple of different "Kimber" mags. The KimPro Tac-Mag has a removable floor plate. I forgot about those. I was thinking of regular/standard Kimber mags, which have a welded base plate.
Thank you. I guess I got the standard mags.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I paid $34.99 each for them here in Canada

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I paid $34.99 each for them here in Canada

Ouch! I can buy CheckMate mags for about $15 here in the US.

Reactions: Mikey421

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seeing these pictures, I have one of each. Funny, the Checkmate mag came in Kimber branded packaging!!!

Funny thing is my checkmate mag has the Kimber logo on the left side wall!!!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I might add that the guy doing this video is kind of clutsy... I use something a little better suited for compressing the spring back in besides my finger.

Reactions: Mikey421 and B81

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I might add that the guy doing this video is kind of clutsy... I use something a little better suited for compressing the spring back in besides my finger.
As a weapon technician in the Canadian Army, I have useful tricks to get the job done as well. No worries.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts