1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

A lot of what I see and read out there on Kimber is heavily tilted toward the negative. Are they really that badly made? The machining looks solid and I have to believe any new piece needs a period of break in, right? And up front I realize that Wilson, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, as well as the highly skilled full house builders are going to bring exceptional fit and finish over mass produced. What are your thoughts on the Kimber product?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Swartz safety is a deal breaker for me. Had a Raptor and it shot great but it had to go down the road.

·
Never Forget
9,031 Posts
Kimber rented space in everyone's mind with mass marketing in every gun magazine on the planet. Along with the fact they mass produced and were on the shelf in every gun store around. This leads to quantity over quality. There's really no way around it when you're dealing with man made products.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Colt mass produces though, right? No arguing mass produced versus low production/higher quality.

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
Your money is better spent on a DW over a Kimber. Kimbers are made of pretty low quality small parts the frame and slides are fine and they generally shoot well. The Swartz is another downfall as well as is the 1 year warranty, the use of plastic MSH and kimpro finish is laughable in wear resistance. All cost cutting measures yet they spend millions on advertising. Kimber resale Value is also pretty poor due to mass production and reputation.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I've owned a Kimber Stainless Custom II and an Aegis Elite Custom in 45 ACP. Both guns performed just fine for me.

Internet forums tend to be echo chambers. People parrot what they hear and sometimes exaggerate and over generalize. The bad things you hear about Kimber are mostly exaggerations, just as are some of the amazing things you hear about some of the semi-custom builders :jawdrop:

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,071 Posts
Aggreed^^^^^

I’d maybe take an early Custom pre Swartz gun.
But then there is that awful rear sight:dummy:

·
born in the wrong century
4,329 Posts
Their rude folks with customer service are one of the main reasons that I refuse to spend another dollar with them. Had a bad series of experiences....they were perfectly fine with leaving me hanging. Fukk'em. Got rid of the piece of shyt (good looking piece of shyt, though......extremely well marketed good looking piece of shyt).

They could have taken the gun I had....polished it up nice, neat & shiny and then shoved it up their arses. Plastic parts and all.

Now....I'm a sample size of one guy....with one shytty experience. Their rude dickheadedness was enough to turn me away for good. Irrational response on my part....perhaps.....but they pissed me off royally. They were perfectly happy with that, too.

Not another dollar outa my hard-earned fun money. Bitches can kiss my arse.

This was a while back.

Their current management and staffing may be much improved and on par with other gun companies. I wouldn't know.

They made a good looking gun...but appearance was where the goodness ended with my Kimber experience.

Their guns still look good today. Their marketing draws in a pile of non-typical 1911 customers. If my gun had worked half as slick as their magazine adds.....bow howdy, I'd have been onto something great.

My Springfields have been hit or miss on the triggers....but at least they are pleasant to deal with and don't quibble over getting things right for you.

So far, so good with the Dan Wesson line. Each one I've bought has been super. The internals work and feel excellent. Triggers, sights, fitment and finishing are perfect. Break-ins are going the way one could expect for a gun made with close tolerances and no slop.

·
born in the wrong century
4,329 Posts
I’ve had a few that were fine 1911’s, the full size was an absolute tackdriver. No need for all the hate really, although some also don’t like their custom shop label on some models, which is pure marketing since they closed their custom shop in the 90’s

Excellent point on the "Custom Shop" jazz.

They market like beasts. I'll give 'em that. Marketing game is strong.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just bought a Pro Carry II off this forum as the price just seemed to good to pass up. Figure I'll run it hard and use it as a way to practice upgrading skills (Crown and Recess barrel, magwell, trigger job, etc.). Otherwise try to get better at wrenching on the 1911.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I jumped on the Kimber wagon when they released the first Classic (Classic first gen). My favorite gun shop (which at the time was one of the largest in the country) really pushed them. The owner carried a Para P13 that had been completely worked by someone. His son carried a Clark 1911. They sold every type of gun imaginable. I bought / traded A LOT back then, and they just hounded me to try one of those original Kimbers. At the time, the features offered on the Classic were pretty rare in the 1911 market. I bought a pair, and they worked for what I needed at the time.

As with most commodity guns they were eventually traded.

Since that time (IIRC 1996???) I've had a number of Kimbers. Pros, TLE, TLE2, Stainless Classic, Classic 2, Royal something or another.

The last (until recently) was one of their upper echelon guns. After about a 1000rds the slide stop notch rounded out of the slide. I sent it in, they replaced the slide. It made me question their products.

Years later I was in a local store and saw a two-tone (blue slide / stainless frame) for $599. I bought it in a moment of weakness but quickly recovered after taking it to the range the first time. It simply didn't shoot like my Baer, Wilson, etc. Sold it to a colleague for $500 about two years ago.

Reactions: crcornish

·
Registered
185 Posts
Kimbers like Rugers, Remingtons, etc are simply mass produced commodity guns.I also place Springfield (non-CS) and Colt in this category but above the others listed.

These are okay for someone wanting a sub-$1000 gun. There is a market for these.

However, many of us have graduated to higher end guns and the features they offer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This applies to most products.

For example I would never buy a watch that cost more than about $50. However, I know several people with watches in excess of $10,000.

On the other hand, I prefer "semi-custom" 1911s while someone else might not see the value in spending 2x, 3x, or even 6x over the cost of a production gun.

I recently saw a dealer new Springfield "Defender" for $459. If it works, and has all the features you want ... why spend $2500 on a Baer, Brown, Wilson, NHC, GI, AC, etc?

I won't lavish hate on Kimber like I do on G(B)lock ... but ironically I no longer own a Kimber but do still have a Glock.

·
Registered
185 Posts
But then there is that awful rear sight:dummy:
100% agree with this statement.

The entire "my gun is a tool" argument is hard to support if you're a 1911 fan. I think a strong case can be made that many of us are drawn to 1911s because of their aesthetic appeal. Otherwise, buy a Glock :dead:.

Kimber's oxide finish (that reminds me of the finish Remington sprays on their 870 Express) and grotesque rear sight is very off putting for me.

Granted, 1911s are available from mild to wild ... but ugly is ugly.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts