1911 Firearm Addicts banner
181 - 200 of 225 Posts

· Turgid member
720 Posts
LOL. It's a good one, still catching people off guard years later.

· Registered
1 Posts
Harley's or Kimbers ? You slammed them both pretty good . The Triumph and BSA I had were the most unreliable bikes I've ever owned . Had a '76 HD that was OK , multiple Kawasakis that were great bikes . In 2000 went back to HD , put 105,000 on that bike . Current rides are a '17 Road Glide and a '09 Road King . Also putting finishing touches on a '81 Yamaha Seca 750 for vintage racing .
I'm riding a 94 springer Softail, 64 pan, and a 2001 ultra classic. The ultra is the very "lifestyle" pushing bike you mention. I ride my springer almost exclusively due to the extensive customization done to it to make it look even older than it is. Is it fast? Not particularly. Does it corner hard? Considering it has about 1 inch of rear travel and the pegs rub fairly easily, no. Is it reliable? Yes! And the fact it's exactly how I want it, it's cool as hell! My kimber is the same. Is it accurate? Accurate enough. Is it reliable? Bone stock go to war in
reliable. Is it sexy? For an all black carry gun eh...sure. Was it a good value? Oh hell yeah. To each his own. I build both custom guns AND bikes. Bikes for the past 30 years. Guns for the past 12. Know what works for you and run with it. It's ok to not impress someone else. If that's a factor, you are a snob and a fool. My kimber works for me. My bikes also work for me. My wife only likes the ultra because of the back seat (throne. Let's be honest. It's a freaking lounge chair on wheels.) Good enough for me.

· Registered
884 Posts
Anyone with experience with Kimbers in 10mm, there's so many sub $800 dollar Custom 2 GFOS in 10mm on Gunbroker I'm tempted because my GFO in 45 has been shot good gun but 10 presents a different animal for feeding. I don't think there's many other 10mm in that price range except a Rock Island.

· Registered
4,174 Posts
All,

A lot of what I see and read out there on Kimber is heavily tilted toward the negative. Are they really that badly made? The machining looks solid and I have to believe any new piece needs a period of break in, right? And up front I realize that Wilson, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, as well as the highly skilled full house builders are going to bring exceptional fit and finish over mass produced. What are your thoughts on the Kimber product?
I really don’t think it’s “HATE”… more like… NO LOVE FOR…that’s all.. I personally do not have a Kimber,, rather have a Springfield, Colt, Dan Wesson. But… if I ever decided to buy a Kimber.. it would be the Pro Carry II 45. 👍

· Premium Member
2,627 Posts
I had a Super Carry Pro and it was ok but I think for what I paid for it I should have got a Dan Wesson. The sight kept moving on it and even after tightening it and using loctite it still moved. I ended up selling it and buying a CZ.

· Premium Member
22,138 Posts
I really don’t think it’s “HATE”… more like… NO LOVE FOR…that’s all.. I personally do not have a Kimber,, rather have a Springfield, Colt, Dan Wesson. But… if I ever decided to buy a Kimber.. it would be the Pro Carry II 45. 👍
For me it would be hate. Trying to get some LEO buddies Kimbers fixed was a nightmare. Lot's of stories after that.

· Registered
4,174 Posts
All,

A lot of what I see and read out there on Kimber is heavily tilted toward the negative. Are they really that badly made? The machining looks solid and I have to believe any new piece needs a period of break in, right? And up front I realize that Wilson, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, as well as the highly skilled full house builders are going to bring exceptional fit and finish over mass produced. What are your thoughts on the Kimber product?
. angry old man… but… he mite be right.

· Registered
17 Posts
I think Kimber is "OK" at the bottom end of their offerings if you win the QC lottery and get a good one. My lgs has a few different basic new Custom IIs in the $8-900 range. If you get a good one, that's a good price for what you get. I would not spend $1500+ on one of the fancier models. I'd buy a DW or look around for a used Baer.

I have a a Custom II Target that I bought in the mid-2000s. I don't remember what I paid but I don't think it was $700. I don't think I've ever had a malfunction with that gun over the, idk, 5000 rounds I've shot through it in that time. Not exactly torture testing but I'm satisfied with my purchase (after a new MSH and grips edit: and GI guide rod and plug).

All that said, I'd pretty much recommend someone look at Springfield instead of Kimber at the lower price levels and, as above, DW or used Baer at the higher price levels.

Air gun Rectangle Trigger Wood Line

· Registered
4,174 Posts
I think Kimber is "OK" at the bottom end of their offerings if you win the QC lottery and get a good one. My lgs has a few different basic new Custom IIs in the $8-900 range. If you get a good one, that's a good price for what you get. I would not spend $1500+ on one of the fancier models. I'd buy a DW or look around for a used Baer.

I have a a Custom II Target that I bought in the mid-2000s. I don't remember what I paid but I don't think it was $700. I don't think I've ever had a malfunction with that gun over the, idk, 5000 rounds I've shot through it in that time. Not exactly torture testing but I'm satisfied with my purchase (after a new MSH and grips).

All that said, I'd pretty much recommend someone look at Springfield instead of Kimber at the lower price levels and, as above, DW or used Baer at the higher price levels.

View attachment 1079447
Yeah.. my brother-in-law has a Kimber 45…he’s had it for 27 years… shoots it all the time… it’s bone stock too.. so maybe those 1996’s from Kimber were better pistols…it’s true the newer one are having issues… so if you can find an older Kimber… that’s the one you should buy… I sure would..👍 but really… I’d rather have a Springfield.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts