1911 Firearm Addicts banner
221 - 225 of 225 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Just bought a Pro Carry II off this forum as the price just seemed to good to pass up. Figure I'll run it hard and use it as a way to practice upgrading skills (Crown and Recess barrel, magwell, trigger job, etc.). Otherwise try to get better at wrenching on the 1911.
I am looking at higher end stuff for EDC and to collect, but for now I’m going to shoot the piss out of this thing until something breaks or falls off. I‘ll then transport the carcass to a 1911 expert and start upgrading it.

· Registered
111 Posts
I have a Custom II. It is very accurate and reliable. Only one FTF that I can remember with a lot of rounds thru it, nothing has broken. The company took a lot of heat for some MIM part failures I was told.
What I did was got a list of MIM parts in Kimbers from another Addict post and replaced them all with C&S, EGW, EB and ThunderMountain…all steel. Then I got the NH trigger system (not the drop in) and used an EB rebuild kit. Also put an EB 2- piece magwell. Everything went together nicely except the safety needed a little attention. I switched it to an Ambi because I do shoot this one a lot left-handed due to Carpal T surgery.
Did not touch the upper. The firing Pin stop is still MIM but the original firing pin is not. So what I have now is and all steel Kimber lower and original Kimber upper. Changed the grip to a Pachmayer with the front strap checkering. The gun shoots as accurately and reliably as it did when it was new and full of MIM parts.
WHY ?? Did I do all that you may ask? I am asking myself the same question. I heard MIM and failure and now I have a FrankenKimber. This is my first 1911 and I only have 2. There were some failures in those MIM parts, somebody, somewhere had that must of been significant enough problems to cause some bad press. So what. It happens to all MFGs and they almost all (in this off the shelf category) use MIM.
When my truck breaks down I replace the part. Not the whole suspension system too. If it happened to be a slide stop break on a SpringF or a firing Pin stop shatters on a Colt,…. whatever my next is, I will just replace the part. Next time I buy a 1911 I will leave it as is. And yes I would buy another Kimber. Not sure why lots of folks hate Kimber’s marketing and sales approach. Seems like there have been a few great companies and products to mass market (Vortex). Don’t see anything wrong with flooding the market if you can. It’s capitalism. Some hate the roll Marks, the Kimber logo etc.. cosmetic….that’s about all I know. I do plan to shoot out this barrel. And then decide where to go from there.

· Registered
52 Posts
Some of the complaints I see and hear about Kimber make me wonder if the complainer needs help finding the bathroom in his own house.

This post will grow old one day. Before it dies I want to encourage you all to read books and articles quoting the famous competition shooters who now produce guns with their names on the side, specifically WHY they began rolling their own. And what they did to turn a crappy contemporary Colt or Springfield into a world beater.

Never take advice from some bloviating blowhard with a GoPro who is just out to get views and run time to fatten his YouTube check.

Reactions: JDWY
221 - 225 of 225 Posts