Knife Sharpeners? Who Has What?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by polizei1, Oct 21, 2011.

1. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Ok so I know there are probably a lot of you that use knives, like myself. Whatever the application, a sharp knife is essential!

With the upcoming holidays, I've become increasingly frustrated at the "accusharp" knife sharpener I've been using. While it works, it doesn't work good enough for me, and it's simply not up to my standards. My knives came from the factory much sharper than they are now, and I can't seem to replicate the edge.

So this got me thinking of actual, good-quality knife sharpeners. I'm looking to spend under $100 and have been looking at the KME:

http://kmesharp.com/kmeknshsy.html

I also know about the Wicked Edge, but that is just too expensive. Does anyone have any experience with the KME?

I'll mostly use it to sharpen my Benchmade pocket knife, and my Chicago Cutlery kitchen knives. I use both quite a bit and dull edges drive me crazy. There's nothing worse IMO than spending money on quality blades and not have a reasonable way to keep them sharp.

I also read the FAQ about the different types of stones. The $80 kit comes with the ceramic stones and one Arkansas for polishing. I don't think I'll need the diamond stones because the edges aren't really bad, so it's more to keep the edges up. Would the ceramic be fine? Any other information would be really appreciated. I just started looking and don't really know anything about it yet.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    i use a Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've made knives that i thought were sharp, really sharp.

I've used the Lansky in the past, but (at least for me) the Spyderco gave me a sharper knife.

another one that i'd like to try it the Edge Pro, but it's over your $100 price.

3. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
  4. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Don, have you seen the Wicked Edge? It looks like a VERY nice setup, but the basic model is $250!

5. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    I just use a medium arkansas stone followed by a hard arkansas stone..keeps my knives sharp enough to shave with.. got both stones for under $50..

6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I know I can just use the stones, but I honestly would much rather have a "system" that I can use since I'm a beginner. It's more of a piece-of-mind thing I guess. I know there will be a slight variation in the angle no matter what you do, but I think having a guide will help eliminate it. I would be really pissed if I ruined my blade on my Benchmade, so I'm going to start with crappy knives I don't use anymore. :lol:

I looked into the others that were mentioned and I'm not really drawn to any of them except the Edge Pro, but that's over my price as mentioned. The Spyderco one looks nice but honestly for the same price, the KME looks like it is more user-friendly and looks better, IMO. I'll keep searching around.

And before anyone says it, I'm not interested in water stones. They are probably without a doubt the best out there, but just aren't for my application. If it makes any difference, I would like to use the sharpener quite often, so I really don't want anything I would have to disassemble/re-assemble every time. I use my Benchmade a lot, and the kitchen knives quite a bit as well. Once I get a good edge, I would probably keep it up once a week.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  7. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    haven't seen it until now.

8. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    I've looked that those as well, seem to be nice.

9. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Hokie got the Spyderco as well, so he can comment on ease of use and how it made his dull knife sharp again.

10. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I have a Warthog Sharpener:thumb:

[​IMG]

11. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Okie, that looks like a torture device! :rofl2:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  12. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    It does for sure, but it sure does a good job my friend:biggrin1:

13. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I've got stones, round and flat steel rods, diamond rods, diamond flats, tungston rods, ceramic rods...

If I'm in the right frame of mind, I can get a heckava edge using stones, but I tend to prefer a diamond rod. Stones and diamond flats are good for knocking the edge down to the right angle, diamond rods are good for finish edges and quick touch ups.

14. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Yep. Works well and really easy to use. :thumb:

15. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Best and easiest I've ever used. I follow with a quality steel. My kitchen knives are always razor sharp.

http://www.speedysharp.net/

16. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    The tool that I use the most is the Redi-Edge Tactical. It works fast and puts a very nice edge on the blade. It's also small enough that I have it in my pocket with me all the time. I have a few other sharpeners, including a Lansky set, that I never use because I don't feel that they work as well or as fast as the Redi-Edge. Another nice thing about the Redi-Egde is that I don't have to worry about holding the right angle. The angle is build into the sharpener, so it is right and the same every time.

17. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Lansky works for me,.......:thumb:

18. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    You got it.:thumb:

19. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I use the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, too.

My knives are not heavy-use items, so I usually sharpen them once a week - if that. :oops: :smile: It takes a bit of time on the more exotic steels, but it sharpens the usual stuff very quickly and very mindlessly. The only thing you really need to be careful of is not dinging the tip.

Yes, you can get your knives "hair-popping sharp" with the Tri-Angle stones. :smile: I'd sold a friend of mine my numbered first-gen. SnG a while ago, and sharpened it for him before sending it off. He got miffed at his locker-room buddies making fun of his fancy new expensive pocket knife, pulled their slash-resistant gloves from their lockers, and proceeded to slice the fingers off every one of them. :lol:

It's definitely not the most exotic or most Zen thing out there. :wink: But it fits a budget, is easily portable, and is easy and safe to use. :smile:

20. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    Yep thanks to Dad I can pretty much sharpen anything that I use around the house.. chisels, drill bits, axes, machetes. All I need is a file and my stones.. Glad I remember a few of the things the Old man taught me..:thumb:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted