Korth National Standard vs Nighthawk Korth Mongoose?

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Guy Montag, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Question for the guys at Nighthawk, and one that I'd appreciate some clarification on. I've been contemplating a "Korth" Mongoose for a while and had always believed the Nighthawk version was simply a different branding of the identical gun, but have subsequently been told this is NOT the case.

That's a pretty significant distinction in my mind, and one I don't believe most buyers may be aware of, and should be made clear when you're dropping that kind of money on a revolver in my opinion.

What are the differences between a "German" Korth, and one with Nighthawk branding? Are these made to two different standards? Are they made on the same line as National Standards? What parts are different in the German Korth vs the Mongoose? Thanks in advance for the help and information.

2. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015

3. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Interesting question! As the owner of one it sure is built stronger than any of my L or N frames.

Stogies likes this.
  4. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
  5. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    There is a Nighthawk rep on this Forum?

6. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
  7. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
  8. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Best in the business

9. NighthawkRep

NighthawkRep Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Hey fellas, I’ll try and find some answers on this and let you all know soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scaramouche, salelcid, jmr986 and 2 others like this.
  10. Stentor

Stentor NRA Life Member Supporting Addict

Sep 21, 2015
    My understanding (based on interactions with Korth and Nighthawk and getting my own Korth Super Sport) is that:
    • Nighthawk is a US dealer for and importer of Korth revolvers (Nighthawk is listed on the Korth website as a dealer in the US--https://kortharms.com/de/national-standard-6-zoll.html).
    • The Korth pistols available from Nighthawk are made by Korth in Germany.
    • The Nighthawk markings on Korth revolvers meet requirements of having the importer's name on the firearm that is imported into the US.
    • The Super Sport I purchased through Nighthawk is the same as what's available from Korth in Germany (other than the Nighthawk marking--which meets importation requirements and adds a bit of "co branding").

salelcid and duketbrd88 like this.
  11. Guy Montag

Oct 24, 2014
    Stentor, appreciate the post, but I've heard contrary to what you've relayed, and the "meet requirements" thing is a huge red flag IMO and only reinforces what I've heard regarding a German Korth and a Nighthawk. If it's confirmed that these are identical guns, with only different branding, I'll be very happy to hear it. If they're not, I suspect that significant detail is going to be problematic to put it mildly, and one buyers ought to have known up front. I hope to be mistaken, and am looking forward to Nighthawk answering the questions directly.

12. Stentor

Stentor NRA Life Member Supporting Addict

Sep 21, 2015
    A few follow-up points:
    • Nighthawk's Chief Operating Officer is the one who deals with Korth (likely why Nighthawk Rep isn't immediately dialed in with all the facts).
    • You can purchase a Korth National Standard (without Nighthawk markings) on Gunbroker via MMBI (they are importing for B&H, a dealer in Germany)--https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790237726.
    • The reference I made to "meet requirement for importing" is related to ATF's rules for importing a firearm into the US--which requires the name of the importer to be conspicuously engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame, receiver, barrel or slide (e.g., the Nighthawk markings on the Korth revolvers they are importing).
    upload_2019-1-15_21-45-54.png

13. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Stentor---Good Post. Many people are not aware of the ATF Regulations and make assumptions.

14. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I wanna say that @bac1023 owns both? I thought I recalled him doing a review/comparison here or perhaps another board.

Busa Dave likes this.
  15. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    Wish you could find that! Would love to read it! I am sure others would as well!

16. NighthawkRep

NighthawkRep Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2015
    I spoke to our Director of R&D (who traveled to Germany and trained with their gunsmiths at the Korth factory) and was able to confirm that there are no differences between the Nighthawk Korth and a Korth. All of these revolvers are made in the Korth factory in Germany but the Nighthawk Korth revolvers are marked with the NHC logo and the proper markings to be imported into the US. All of the revolvers are made to the same high standard set by both Korth and Nighthawk. Once received into the US we put these revolvers through our own test fire procedure to ensure that they function as they should. We also target them and ship a test target along with each one to show the accuracy potential.

As mentioned above Nighthawk is the official importer of the Korth revolver line in the US. Initially the Nighthawk revolvers had a different style cylinder release and a gold bead front sight whereas the revolvers for the European market had a plain black front sight and the larger style cylinder release beside the hammer. This has now changed and Korth is making all of their National Standard models with the same cylinder release and front sight as the Nighthawk Korth.

I hope this helps clarify any misunderstanding. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

NHR/Bob

rod442, Stogies, Scaramouche and 10 others like this.
  17. Guy Montag

Oct 24, 2014
    Thanks for the update Rob, appreciate the clarification.

18. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    Yes thanks for that input! ^^^^^ Confirms the last 5 reviews on line I have read from the various rags and writers. This one from thetruthabout guns: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/08/robert-farago/korthnighhawk-revolvers-revealed/

“These will be Korth-built with a Nighthawk influence,” said Travis Noteboom, vice president of sales and marketing at Nighthawk, a locally owned gun manufacturer in Berryville. “The actions of these guns is like nothing built in the U.S. It’s like a Swiss watch.”

duketbrd88 likes this.
  19. PWS

PWS Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 20, 2016
    I also am privileged to own three of the newer Korth/Nighthawk revolvers made at the Lollar factory (Mongoose, Supersport, and Skyhawk) and five older Korths from the Ratzeburg factory, several with both the .357MAG and 9MM cylinders and several .22 Sport revolvers. I do not have a new Korth National Standard from Lollar. I can assure you that these are all very excellent revolvers that will meet or exceed your personal standards for fit, finish, and accuracy. I personally cannot see or feel a distinct difference between the older and newer guns; I do feel that the older guns are more finished and smooth, but this is subjective and probably limited by my shooting style and experience and is not the precise question that you asked regarding the differences between the newer Korth/Nighthawk US guns and the contemporary German Korths. However, we are lucky to have two well-experienced experts on Willi Korth's personal history and his guns, both revolvers and semi-automatics, on the site: bac1023 and lavatus....I have many of their previous comments about Korths saved in my notes, but I am hesitant to copy them here since they are not mine. I have not seen either online for some time, which is our loss since their experience and knowledge are immense. Perhaps this discussion will bring them back onboard.

Joni Lynn, duketbrd88 and Stentor like this.
  20. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    As far as I know nighthawks name is on there because they hooked up with korth and are a U. S. Dealer and that is it. I am proud to have nighthawks name on there because they are a top notch brand and own one of there 1911's. I will take some pictures of mine later and show you what comes in the case.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted