1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

1911s and revolvers are available in a wonderful range of prices. Literally something for everyone. On the 1911 side I can see the justification for the cost of high end makes and models. Well, within reason anyway.

What do you think about the Korth wheel guns from Nighthawk? Other than exclusivity and collectibility are they worth the price?

just wondering what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I don't have one, but I hear the trigger is unreal for revolvers.

I don't know how else they compare with weight, etc.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
"Worth the price" is subjective and lends mostly to endless opinionizing. Much has been discussed on the current iteration of Korth revolvers distributed in the U.S. by Nighthawk and a search will get about as much reading as there are notions about whether high ticket items (Porsche vs Toyota; Patek Philippe vs Timex; Wilson Combat vs Colt, etc.) surpass the law of diminishing returns or instead reward the discerning.

If as you say you perceive the justification for cost difference between high end 1911s and standard production ones, then -- without your knowing -- you already understand the difference between a Korth (of any generation) or a Manurhin and production revolvers from S&W, Colt, Ruger. etc.

There is a quantifiable difference in the materials used, the manner in which they're manufactured, and time and care taken for assembly and fit. Whether that translates to a qualifiable difference in the end user's experience or appreciation justifying (or not) the cost can only be up to the individual.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I sold all my S&Ws and bought a Korth Mongoose. To me, it’s worth it. Then again the S&W 686-1 would be a great addition. If you like craftsmanship, buy the Korth.

Reactions: Dr Awkward

·
Registered
642 Posts
Why do you want one? Are you willing to trade a portion of your wealth to satisfy that desire? Those are the two questions that must be answered regardless of what "one" happens to be.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I’ve had two- the Skyhawk and the NXR 44mag.
I wasn’t particularly impressed with the Skyhawk, but the 44 is top notch. I’ve had Ruger, Colt, and SW performance center 44s, and the Korth is my favorite (they were all nice though). Is it worth the $? If you have it and love wheelguns- sure. $ for $ my SW PC was probably a better decision, but you can never have enough guns, right?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Just a little factoid about the Korth revolvers that have both .357 and 9mm cylinders that non-owners may not know. The Korths with two cylinders actually have polygonal 9mm (.355 in.) barrels in order to achieve good accuracy when firing 9mm rounds. That means that .38/.357 bullets get swaged down a bit when fired. Korth says that the pressure isn't significantly (?) raised by this. It seems to me that using a .356 in. bore might have been a better choice, but I'll trust Korth's engineering and testing. I haven't tested my Mongoose in a Ransom rest to determine how much this affects accuracy, but I'm sure that the gun is more accurate than I am.

Ref: American Handgunner article by Massad Ayoob

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Just a little factoid about the Korth revolvers that have both .357 and 9mm cylinders that non-owners may not know. The Korths with two cylinders actually have polygonal 9mm (.355 in.) barrels in order to achieve good accuracy when firing 9mm rounds. That means that .38/.357 bullets get swaged down a bit when fired. Korth says that the pressure isn't significantly (?) raised by this. It seems to me that using a .356 in. bore might have been a better choice, but I'll trust Korth's engineering and testing. I haven't tested my Mongoose in a Ransom rest to determine how much this affects accuracy, but I'm sure that the gun is more accurate than I am.

Ref: American Handgunner article by Massad Ayoob
That's good to know -- thank you. I know some manufacturers of polygonal barrels advise not to use lead bullets. I wonder if that's the case with the Korths?

·
Registered
783 Posts
That's good to know -- thank you. I know some manufacturers of polygonal barrels advise not to use lead bullets. I wonder if that's the case with the Korths?
I'm not sure about that. I did see a video on YouTube by a "bullseye shooter" who said that the .357 Mongoose was less accurate than his Colt Officers Model Match .38 shooting 148 gr. wadcutter loads - which are lead. My thoughts were that this was not a fair comparison of a multi-purpose revolver to a dedicated match revolver. I've owned the Colt OMM and currently have an S&W Model 14-3 that is a dedicated .38 Special match pistol. I'm sure that my S&W will outshoot the Mongoose with both 148 gr. wadcutters and 158 gr. semi-wadcutters. That said, the Mongoose will be shooting .38 caliber bullets from a .357 cylinder through a 9mm polygonal barrel. That's not an apples to apples comparison in my view. As far as I know, the problem with shooting lead bullets through polygonal barrels is related to a greater potential for lead fouling, not safety or accuracy.

JMHO

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I bought a 3” Mongoose. I like it. Worth the money? Who knows. It’s not about the money when you get to this point in collecting or shooting. It’s a journey, not everyone will enjoy the scenery the same way I do or you do.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The nice thing about the Mongoose and other Nighthawk/Korth revolvers is that they're made to be shot -a lot. None of them should be safe queens. I classify my expensive handguns as the equivalent of my Krieghoff shotguns - expensive, but built to last with high reliability.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
OK, OK, enough already. :) I've never been too much of a revolver revolver fan,but I've recently decided to once again "play" with a few of them. Bought the new Python (6" SS) a few months ago and just ordered a Korth Mongoose(5-1/4") that'll arrive next week. I personally like the simple lines on this model. Maybe the first time in my life I've actually preferred the "low end" model of anything. @Oldgunner , you can bet these aren't going to be Safe Queens, as do not believe in such a thing! In my much, much younger days, I actually shot a Super Black Hawk straighter than anything revolver I've owned.

Have enjoyed this thread, thanks, guys.

·
Registered
783 Posts
DRD,
You may find that learning to fire a decent revolver (you've just bought two) in double action mode can improve your trigger control when shooting semi-autos. Do not "stage" the trigger when shooting double action. It should be one, smooth, continuous pull from start to finish. That said, I know some bullseye shooters stage the trigger in the timed and rapid fire strings but that takes a lot of practice to get the technique correct.
My rule on guns over the years was that if I hadn't shot one in over a year, it was a candidate for sale.

A Korth bonus feature - both single action and double action trigger modes can be tuned without buying any springs. All of the action components are already polished.

Reactions: DRD

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Thanks for the good advice.

My rule on guns over the years was that if I hadn't shot one in over a year, it was a candidate for sale.
Can go by this one, however, I have too many keepers for that! And sons who love my stuff. After all, I'm an addict! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
783 Posts
A side by side comparison. My S&W 586 no dash that cost me $700 and the Korth Mongoose that cost me $4300 with a matched 9mm cylinder. The 586 has a trigger - after my tune up - that's as good as the Korth's and has fired over 3000 rounds, mostly .38 Special. Some Korth's have fired over 40,000 rounds and are still going without repairs. I'd say the comparison is similar to a Springfield SACS model 1911 versus a full custom gun. Your money, your choice.

Reactions: DRD
1 - 20 of 34 Posts